PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking

Robert trout hunter
05-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Any ideas on were to go in the eastern sierras ? i want to go somewhere good and with good fishing please and thank you

Robert trout hunter
05-08-2008, 09:07 PM
also info about rules and sites (like what limitations there are) on backpacking

mth1997
05-08-2008, 11:31 PM
Pretty much any road that leads west from hwy 395 will take you to a trail and/or fishable water. I have found that the best trips were ones where I looked on a map, picked a spot, and discovered the area for myself. The new experience into the unknown on your own advice is unforgettable.

Regarding rules, limitations, etc. on backpacking, call the local ranger station and they will tell you all you need to know. They might be jerks sometimes, but they're still good for info. You might need a fire permit, or fires may not be allowed. You may need an overnight permit to go into the back country too. Every area has different regulations so calling ahead is the best bet.

Badfish2
05-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Depends on how good of shape you're in really...

If you're in kick *** shape, Check out this trail..

http://www.abovecalifornia.com/routes/

Click on the "evolution valley" trail

If you're a lightweight and you can't hike that far, I highly recommend the "mesquito flats" trail out of Rock Creek Lake area. It's a short hike and fairly level but the scenery is unmatched.

rusty6
05-09-2008, 09:34 AM
fires are NOT allowed above 10,000 feet. and the only problem i have with mosquito flats is the lack of solitude you will have, that area is fairl overrun.

rusty6
05-09-2008, 09:35 AM
oh and the lake i told you about sits at about 9,900 feet so fires are a go there.

mth1997
05-09-2008, 02:30 PM
fires are NOT allowed above 10,000 feet. and the only problem i have with mosquito flats is the lack of solitude you will have, that area is fairl overrun.

Do you know if this regulation (no fires above 10,000 feet) is a blanket reg. for the eastern Sierra or for a specific location? I just spoke with a ranger from a station around Bridgeport a few weeks ago that said fires are not allowed above 9,000 feet. We were discussing areas around Bridgeport, so I'm not sure if he was talking about that area or the region as a whole.

Last year open fires were prohibited in ALL national forest areas in CA for a time. I guess the fire outlook for this year isn't as bleak?

Robert trout hunter
05-09-2008, 03:54 PM
Wow thanks guys you are all such a big help so i talked to my dad and he's thinking of a practice backpacking trip to judge me (i went on a really hard one before) probably in the angeles forest area and sometime in the summer we might go to sierras so thank you

rusty6
05-09-2008, 04:24 PM
i know the 10,000 foot is a blanket rule but lower altitudes might vary from wilderness to wilderness.