PDA

View Full Version : How much tackle to take into the backcountry?

Crawler
05-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Hello, I am planning a backcountry sierra golden trout trip the week after the 4th of July. Myself and one (possibly two) other person will be packing in one day, and staying 2-3 nights, then packing one day out. I am at home with fishing trout in the sierra's. I usually bring way more gear then I ever use, and with the exception of a birds nest and ease of grabbing another rod/reel, I have never had to break out the *backup* rod & reel. But my experience is limited to close-to-road fishing. Not backcountry.

But there lies the problem. Should I take two rods and reels back with me just for good measure? Or stick to one setup? The reason this is on my mind right now is that I just got a new backpack and have been loading it up with my *must haves*, Well.... 40lbs on my back and more **** I dont yet have....... and I am now in the process of weeding out the absolutely unnessecarys. LOL. So I ask, One rod and reel? Extra rod only? Extra reel only? What do you think??

FYI I will be bringing my pflueger president reel, and either my berkley 5'5" pwr bait rod, or a BSP 7'UL as my main weapons. I preferably would like to take both rods, as the BPS rod casts like a mofo, and the berk does not, but is great for the streams.

I usually fish stream. A pack of single hooks, pack of small split shots, pack of clear bobbers, back of sliding sinkers and swivels, and I am usually good to go for a few days. But I am use to having the saftey of grabbing more tactical implements from the truck when the need arise. LOL. Well... I dont want to get caught with my pants down out there as the primary objective is to catch fish. I will be bringing your standard mini jigs, spinners and flys, But what kinds of things should I NOT leave behind??? What are your MUST HAVES for backcountry sierra fishing?

Thank you for any help you can provide. :beer:

rotto84
05-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi,

I have had lots of luck with small yellow Mepps spinners or salmon eggs with tiny hooks and split shot. Keep it simple (and light). Good luck!

Rotto84

Ronira
05-05-2008, 07:30 PM
If the second rod and reel is a two piece I would bring it. won't add doodly to your load and can be strapped outside your pack. Just my opinion.

Badfish2
05-06-2008, 12:18 AM
Hello, I am planning a backcountry sierra golden trout trip the week after the 4th of July. Myself and one (possibly two) other person will be packing in one day, and staying 2-3 nights, then packing one day out. I am at home with fishing trout in the sierra's. I usually bring way more gear then I ever use, and with the exception of a birds nest and ease of grabbing another rod/reel, I have never had to break out the *backup* rod & reel. But my experience is limited to close-to-road fishing. Not backcountry.

But there lies the problem. Should I take two rods and reels back with me just for good measure? Or stick to one setup? The reason this is on my mind right now is that I just got a new backpack and have been loading it up with my *must haves*, Well.... 40lbs on my back and more **** I dont yet have....... and I am now in the process of weeding out the absolutely unnessecarys. LOL. So I ask, One rod and reel? Extra rod only? Extra reel only? What do you think??

FYI I will be bringing my pflueger president reel, and either my berkley 5'5" pwr bait rod, or a BSP 7'UL as my main weapons. I preferably would like to take both rods, as the BPS rod casts like a mofo, and the berk does not, but is great for the streams.

I usually fish stream. A pack of single hooks, pack of small split shots, pack of clear bobbers, back of sliding sinkers and swivels, and I am usually good to go for a few days. But I am use to having the saftey of grabbing more tactical implements from the truck when the need arise. LOL. Well... I dont want to get caught with my pants down out there as the primary objective is to catch fish. I will be bringing your standard mini jigs, spinners and flys, But what kinds of things should I NOT leave behind??? What are your MUST HAVES for backcountry sierra fishing?

Thank you for any help you can provide. :beer:

40lbs is a heavy pack for the sierra, depending how far you're going.. and what kind of shape you're in you might find that is way too heavy. Remember, this is not like the local mountains, You'll be consistantly over 10,000 feet up. Air is thin up there. Most through hikers on the PCT (amazing shape) carry 25lb packs. Make sure you carry 2 rods though, I'd look into telescopic rods to save space. Carry extra line as well,.. and I'd stick to only lures ..bring a few snelled hooks in case you find a moth or other natural bait near the water's edge. Have a good trip. post up pictures, chances are I'll be out there on the trail too sometime in July when the snow is gone

Joshua
05-06-2008, 07:36 AM
I understand your concern. Imagine hiking in for 2 days only to have an equipment failure. Dont worry about how much to take, worry about taking what is the most reliable.
I would suggest 2 rods and one reel. I have fished small streams where a reel isnt that important. The reason is that you can flip the line out and retrieve with you hands. However, if it were me, I would take 2 reels also, I would find something else to leave at home. If fishing is your primary purpose of the trip. make sure you are well equipped.
Bring extra line.

dockboy
06-03-2008, 10:33 PM
One 4lb reel and two rods. The 7ft. for lakes and the 5ft for streams. Bring leader in 2lb. and 4lb. Forceps and small pliers. Smallest clear casting bobbers you can find and the smallest swivels possible, I prefer Spro Power Swivels in the 35lb. range. Fill one film canister with lures and another with flies. Smaller lures work best and bring both metallic and flat colors. Basic Sierra flies; Adams, Sierra Gnats, Bead Head Pheasant Tails, Hares Ears, Griffiths Gnats, and a couple Woolly Buggers ought to do it. You only a need a selection of split shot for weight. You can fit everything for tackle in a small stuff bag. Fold the reel handle in and store the reel at the bottom of the pack for safe keepings on the way up. For the rods, I recommend rod tubes, if you don't have them already. Sport Chalet usually has ones for 2 piece spin rods, if not you should be able to get by with a 4 piece fly on the 5ft. They'll cost you some money, but its money well spent in the granite strewn Sierra. Granite breaks rods like no other and a rod tube is your best insurance. Also, makes it easier to strap the rods to the pack; just strap the tubes on the side or sides and you're good.

Granny Fish
06-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Looks like you got some good advice already. Don't forget your sunscreen. Looking forward to your report. ;)

Crawler
06-09-2008, 11:05 PM
One 4lb reel and two rods. The 7ft. for lakes and the 5ft for streams. Bring leader in 2lb. and 4lb. Forceps and small pliers. Smallest clear casting bobbers you can find and the smallest swivels possible, I prefer Spro Power Swivels in the 35lb. range. Fill one film canister with lures and another with flies. Smaller lures work best and bring both metallic and flat colors. Basic Sierra flies; Adams, Sierra Gnats, Bead Head Pheasant Tails, Hares Ears, Griffiths Gnats, and a couple Woolly Buggers ought to do it. You only a need a selection of split shot for weight. You can fit everything for tackle in a small stuff bag. Fold the reel handle in and store the reel at the bottom of the pack for safe keepings on the way up. For the rods, I recommend rod tubes, if you don't have them already. Sport Chalet usually has ones for 2 piece spin rods, if not you should be able to get by with a 4 piece fly on the 5ft. They'll cost you some money, but its money well spent in the granite strewn Sierra. Granite breaks rods like no other and a rod tube is your best insurance. Also, makes it easier to strap the rods to the pack; just strap the tubes on the side or sides and you're good.

Thanks for the info. :Cool:

Crawler
06-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Looks like you got some good advice already. Don't forget your sunscreen. Looking forward to your report. ;)

:ROFL: I burnt my right arm falling asleep across the desert yesterday. I forgot the sunscreen. I will have sunscreen with me, but I will probobly forget to apply it next time too. :ROFL:

WARRIORMIKE
06-09-2008, 11:19 PM
toilet paper and water :rolleyes:

Crawler
06-09-2008, 11:37 PM
toilet paper and water :rolleyes:

Wow what a wonderfull suggestion!! We never would have thought of that! :rolleyes:

sierraslam
06-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Most people who do the PCT do not fish. They sleep in in bivvy sacks, not tents, and they have no need for a pan or grill to cook fish. Let them have there 25 pound packs. I'll carry 40-45 pounds and live large in the back country. I usually will hike my arse off the first day, find a base camp and day hike from there. If you move camp every night then you should go lighter obviously. have a good trip.