PDA

View Full Version : 1st Seirra Trip of the Year

Troutman Dan
05-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Got a few days off from work so I hit my roommate up and we decided to hit the Seirras for our first trip of the year. Got packed up Wednesday night so we could get an early start Thursday morning. Alarm goes off at 3:30am and where on the road by 4. Drive took about 4 1/2 hours to get to the first spot of the day. Arrived at Intake 2 at about 8:30 or 9am. The lake was pretty empty with not a lot of pressure. I'm sure it was packed for the opener. Hiked on over to spot which I have had success in the past. I set up my rods and casted out the dreaded threaded nightcrawler. After about 30 minutes or so, first fish on. I pulled in a nice little Brown trout. Fishing was kind of slow for the day. I was able to manage to bring in 4 fish (1 Brown 3 rainbows). My roomate managed 2 for the day. All fish were realesed to fight another day. Packed up around 1:30 and cruised up to South Lake to see if there was any action. LOL! Lake had several feet of ice. Cant wait for the thaw out so I can get back and fish the lake. From that point I headed for the hotel. Decided to get a good night sleep so I could be on the lake bright and early. Friday morning we decided to hit up Twin Lakes in Mammoth. I have had great success on this lake. Got to the lake at around 7am and to my surprise the lake was calm and empty. Headed right to my spot. Again set up the rods and out the lines go. This was going to be the beganing of another epic day on this lake for me. I landed 29 fish and farmed probably 10 more. As the day began I looked at Jay and said nothing goes on the stringer unless it's 2.5 or bigger. Figured we where going home empty handed. Not happening. By days end I kept 4 fish totaling 15.2lbs. Jay kept 4 also. Jay was able to land his first Brookie that went about 12inches. We noticed alot of tubers landing nice fish. decided to pack up and call it a day. As we where packing up fish and game showed up. Would have been cool if it had not been the same prick from last year. We are within our limits. Haven't kept any fish from the previous day. Good! Got to understand last year DFG hit us at the same spot. Asked Jay how we where doing and Jay(not a Fisherman) said limits every day. Jay forgot or neglected to say we released all the fish. DFG was up in my truck, through coolers and even in my luggage. F U! I was good to go with bag limits. After all was done we where off to the hotel. decided to hit up the local Pizza Parler Johns. Had some eats and off to bed for another day of fishin. Saturday we decided to hit the loop to see how the fishing was. Started at Silver. We both landed the average 8 incher out there. Decided that the lake sucked. I have never had great things come from that lake. The both of us where getting hungrey so we hit up the Silver Lake Cafe accross the street from the boat launch. Food was great. After breakfast we pondered on the next place to fish. Grant lake prevailed. Man is the lake getting lower and lower with every year passing. We headed toward the dam and set up shop. After a few minutes we had our first hook up. I landed a 10-12 incher. Little guy put up a great fight. We hung out for about 2 hours with spuratic bites. All in all I landed 6 fish Jay had 3. Nothing to complain about and it sure beat work. Got in the car a headed toward Lundy when I saw a turn off for another lake I had not heard of. Figured what the hell. Dumb ***! Road ended and a hike was on. Started hiking a trail with no idea how far this lake or even if there was a lake. Every 10 minutes myself and Jay would look at each other and say god are we out of shape. Well I am in great shape for a guy that eats junk food everyday, does no exercising at all and about 50lbs over weight. LOL! boy did I pay for this hike. As we walked up this trail we kept thinking it's just around this bend. Ha. Finally saw some lady hiking back and asked how far do we have to go. Is there really a lake. She told us its about 10 more minutes. 10 minutes hiker to hiker talk. Im fat that equaites to 30 more minutes. We kept on. Finally open blue water. Gorgeous lake. looked all around and could only see about 3-5 people. No pressure. Again set up the dreaded crawler and off the lines went. Bam. Fish on. After about a 10 minute fight I brought in a great lookin Brown. Jay then gets hit. Another Brown. Both fish in the 1.5lb to 2lb class. Several bites and several almost fish. Had multiple browns snap of next to the shore line in the rocks. This was fun. All in all by the time we decided to go we both had 1 a peice. We dreaded the hike back but it was a fast 45 minutes down hill. We ended the day Dan 8 Jay 5. Back to the hotel and into the hot tub to relax. Sunday we headed back to Twin lakes. Fishing was okay I was able to land 16 fish (1 Keeper). Looked like rain and we had a light snow flury. I was able to land my first Brook of the trip. Jay landed his personal best trout a 3.9lb Alpers. He also landed another 3 lbder. The weekend ended for us at 12:30. Back to Orange County. At days end the total fish caught for myself. 2 Browns, 1 Brook and 54 Rainbows. I broght home 5 fish weighing about 19lbs. Jays trip ended with 1 Brown, 1 Brook and about 20 Rainbows. Cant wait for the next trip. On the way back we stopped off at Manzanar to see Cory's display. Great job Cory. This is a place you should visit on your way up or home from the Seirras. Eye opener. Take a look at some of the photos.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=115972587&albumId=1706710

mth1997
05-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Cool report! Too bad I am not on myspace cuz I want to see those pics!

I'm with you on the overweight-out-of-shape club. I did some really strenuous sports in the past and that has kept me at at least a decent base level cardio for the past two years. Nothin like hiking the Sierras to whip you into shape!

Troutman65
05-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Great Report TroutmanDan !!!!

Congrats on your limit.

Thanks for the post.

Troutman65

BishopTrouter
05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Nice browns... i've heard a lot about parker lake... i gotta get back there one of these days

usmcfisherman
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
good report.im hittn there in a month.

brn2fis
05-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Real good read and nice pictures to go along with story. Looks like you guy's really banged out some quality! Way to go.

big_mike_70
05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
great pics...thanks for the post and report

im ready for another trip up there...its only been 2 weeks...need me some trout

REMEMBER ...(hits head) NIGHTCRAWLERS

MAN VS WILD
05-06-2008, 04:41 PM
WOW man that was a very nice trip. Those are some beautiful fish. i would like to check out the other pics but you profile is set to private. What's your Name on myspace or display name. PM me if you want.

MAN VS WILD
05-06-2008, 04:54 PM
did you find out the name of that lake you hiked into?

BigGameHunter
05-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Troutman Dan............:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What an Epic day you had indeed........ NICE

BGH

mhughes55
05-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Hey can u give me your email because it wont let me see your pic's unless im already your friend on myspace.

Frenchie174
05-06-2008, 11:58 PM
Get report! I love fishing the sierras. I can't wait till my trip later in the year!:mrgreen:

PINKMEAT
05-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Beautiful FISH and way to go on keeping your cool w/ DFG...he is just doing his job and if he doesn't there might not be any of those beauties for all of us to catch. Anyhow GREAT JOB and i cant wait to get that rush!!!

fishntoss
05-07-2008, 07:47 PM
Awesome report... I can almost feel the morning chill...

chris
05-08-2008, 09:15 AM
great report and pics

troutdog
05-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Nice results on your trip, lotsa bent rods no doubt! Cool pics and report, thanks for sharing.

TD

Troutman Dan
06-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Troutman Dan............:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What an Epic day you had indeed........ NICE

BGH

It was a blast. Cant wait to get out there soon.

one_leg
06-18-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the report and congrats on your catches. Nice pics!!!
Everyone should get over to the museum and check it out. It is a very nice museum and Cory (Fear No Trout) did a great job researching and putting together a wonderful display that tells about the lives of those Americans of Japanese ancestry who were forced to live at the concentration camp that was built at Manzanar.

O_L