PDA

View Full Version : any mackerel at seal beach pier yet?

brianw
05-05-2008, 12:14 PM
as title, juz wanna ask is there any mackerel at seal beach pier?
i want to take some friends out to teach them fishing today =)
Thanks

brianw
05-05-2008, 11:07 PM
i found out the answer today

the answer is NO! =(

Jig-Guy
05-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Hay brianw, If no mac's what did you catch? One of you must have got bit by somethin!

Jig-Guy

brianw
05-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Hay brianw, If no mac's what did you catch? One of you must have got bit by somethin!

Jig-Guy

nope, it was windy , we only did for 1.5 hour because it was too cold
didnt see much going on at the pier , i saw someone caught a smelt but that was pretty much it

Liteliner
05-06-2008, 08:09 PM
Balboa never fails for me.

fightfan
05-06-2008, 10:37 PM
the macks are always biting at newport pier

fish_sauce
05-07-2008, 08:35 AM
i haven't fished for mackerels in a long, long time, but maybe you could try some other piers like balboa or newport as mentioned above? (although gas prices are really high right now, it hardly justifies driving that far from where you are just to catch mackerels) maybe you could invest in a crab net and go crabbing at seal beach pier while you fish to make it more interesting? (just make sure you read up on the regulations)

what were the conditions when you were out there? i've had good luck in the past by going when its incoming high tide, an hour or so before the sun sets. avoid windy days, and days when it had recently rained.

at seal beach, i think you'll find yourself catching a lot more dinky rays and sand sharks than mackerels on cut bait.