PDA

View Full Version : LB good spots?

vince champion
05-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Well ive been out to long beach break wall couple of times and caught only a few calico/sand bass dinks. I was wondering if anyone can give me some information on where to catch bigger fishes. Ive fished at the oil rig for small calicos, ive fish the islands inside the break wall for dinks, ive fished near the light house for dinks.

It seems as everywhere i go the dinks are following me. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I use squid and shrimp for bait. I also throw a few big hammer.

How far out do i have to go for rock fish?

DnYe
05-05-2008, 02:56 PM
Big Bait = Big Fish....basically it just weeds out the guppies...unless you dont mind catching those all day long. JMO. Lates

Ricky-Ray
05-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Have you tried the Horseshoe Kelp?

twin22s
05-05-2008, 07:54 PM
as you can see from my "moonlighting" post under the pier and surf fishing reports, i do alright for myself, those 3 and 4 lbers were caught in about 5-8ft of water about 6ft from the jetty. someone could fish that spot all day and not catch anything but shorts but when the conditions are right the big bass take center stage.
you see larger bass only feed during premium conditions(for them) not meaning good weather for us. but anyway there will be big fish feeding at those spots but unlike the smaller bass they arn't as active or in as much competion for food. so they are less agressive MOST of the time. start remembering or writing down the conditions during your trips, everything from air and water temps to wind diretion and lunar and tide patterns. then try to get out in a variaty on situations. maybe the kelp does good when is cold and sunny, or the wall does good when the wind blows from the south. early morning and sunset are usualy great times to catch big fish, but coditions are different every time you go. and you gotta find out what works when... and where.. and how.. and... so on.
good luck to ya on your next trip and try to pay atention to all the details.

ps. Bigger Bait bigger fish true, but less fish. knowing when to use the big baits is very important. no sence throwing a 10" bait all day and nothing to show for it but a sore arm.

vince champion
05-06-2008, 01:06 AM
ahh thanks for your reply twin, i have much to learn.

ricky ray, i have not tried horseshoe kelp yet. but i will be going wednesday to give it a shot. Since i never been there, is there something i should look for? or look for in my ff? what to use? how to present it?

thanks again.

Ricky-Ray
05-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Use the FF, there's lot's of calico's and sand bass out there. I've also caught some other bottom stuff there too.

vince champion
05-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Hi what are the cordinates for horseshoe? I try inputting the cordinates from this site and it says its over 20+ miles away. Is this true? i though it was under 10 miles.

Ricky-Ray
05-06-2008, 11:50 PM
33D 40.07'N. x 118D 12.15'W

Definitely under 10 miles if leaving from Pierpoint.