PDA

View Full Version : Golden trout hike in lakes...

fishin fool
05-05-2008, 09:00 AM
Hi all:
It's a shame that people are angry about sharing info. The person posting should be allowed to define the parrameters for the info's distribution.

In any case, I'm no longer able to camp or backpack as I did when I was younger and healthier. Does anyone know of any good dayhikes to lakes with golden trout in the Eastern Sierra? Any info would be appreciated. If you are concerned about advertising the info to much, you can message me and I will keep it private...

Thanks,
Fishin Fool

Beancounter
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
I don't think this is any "secret," but Saddlebag Lake has some pretty good opportunities to catch some nice fish without too much hiking. There's an easy level trail around the lake or just take the water taxi to the other side of the lake and there's some beautiful lakes back there. The altitude is a little up there(10,000+), but if you can handle it, it's truly heaven on earth.

rusty6
05-05-2008, 10:00 AM
unfortunately, i can't think of many golden trout lakes that are easily accesible, all the ones i have been too have been pretty difficult hikes.

fishin fool
05-05-2008, 10:45 AM
I know that was certainly true when I was younger and did the work. I am just hoping, as I have a respect and awe for golden trout, and figured it was worth a try.

mammothfishin
05-05-2008, 01:27 PM
If you have a 4X4 you can drive to Laurel Lakes. Any stock truck or SUV should make it without a problem.

madhatter
05-05-2008, 02:34 PM
I'd suggest downloading the backcountry fishing guide posted in another thread. It has some VERY useful information on it. Check out the trails and do a google search on them. I am thinking of doing several day hikes to get to some lakes with goldens in June...

DJM86
05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd suggest downloading the backcountry fishing guide posted in another thread. It has some VERY useful information on it. Check out the trails and do a google search on them. I am thinking of doing several day hikes to get to some lakes with goldens in June...

Do you happen to have a link to this guide? I have searched and can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
Darren

fishin fool
05-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Exactly which post is this on. I cant find it:(:
Thanks,
Fishin Fool

Badfish2
05-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi all:
It's a shame that people are angry about sharing info. The person posting should be allowed to define the parrameters for the info's distribution.

In any case, I'm no longer able to camp or backpack as I did when I was younger and healthier. Does anyone know of any good dayhikes to lakes with golden trout in the Eastern Sierra? Any info would be appreciated. If you are concerned about advertising the info to much, you can message me and I will keep it private...

Thanks,
Fishin Fool

Don't sweat it man, TRUST ME, I know how you feel.

flytyingreloader
05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Fishing Fool--

Would a horse/mule pack trip be do-able for you? If so, see about Humphery's Basin out of North Lake/Bishop Creek drainage. I don't know whether a packer is working that area or not.

gwjones00
05-07-2008, 06:28 AM
I don't think this is any "secret," but Saddlebag Lake has some pretty good opportunities to catch some nice fish without too much hiking. There's an easy level trail around the lake or just take the water taxi to the other side of the lake and there's some beautiful lakes back there. The altitude is a little up there(10,000+), but if you can handle it, it's truly heaven on earth.

Yeah - this is probably the easiest to reach lakes with Golden Trout. But - don't expect to catch Golden's like the one that was in the thread that started this whole thing. The typical fish up there is 4 to 5 inches. Also, not all of the lakes hold goldens - most hold brookies and rainbows. The lakes up there receive a lot of fishing pressure. Since they are no longer being stocked, please, please practice C&R!

To get there, go to Saddlebag Lake at the top of Tioga Pass. You can catch a taxi boat to the back side of the lake for around $10 or so if I remember right.

I was last up there about 3 years ago. We caught a few goldens. Here's the link to my report with some pictures: http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=15071#post15071

tpfishnfool
05-07-2008, 06:38 AM
If you have a 4X4 you can drive to Laurel Lakes. Any stock truck or SUV should make it without a problem.

The Goldens are all but long gone out of Laurel, There may be a few and some brookies but they have been pounded for the past few years.

MAN VS WILD
05-07-2008, 11:48 PM
There was an article in the "FishRap" newspaper that said "Hikes up to numerous small lakes and streams that feed the June Loop are goldmines for brooks and California's official state fish, golden trout". There is also a thread that shows a nice golden trout caught up by Mt Whitney. Check it out. don't know how to put the link on here. it's in this section on page 2. titled. mt whitney..goldens?

Badfish2
05-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Basically all the mountain lakes above the main lakes from June Lake Loop south to Olancha contain goldens.. some lakes more than others.

This should help you out..

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/index.shtml

gwjones00
05-08-2008, 05:45 AM
There was an article in the "FishRap" newspaper that said "Hikes up to numerous small lakes and streams that feed the June Loop are goldmines for brooks and California's official state fish, golden trout". There is also a thread that shows a nice golden trout caught up by Mt Whitney. Check it out. don't know how to put the link on here. it's in this section on page 2. titled. mt whitney..goldens?

The closest lakes to June Lake that hold Goldens are Alger Lakes - not much more that a 9 mile hike with a few thousand feet elevation gain.....

Don't believe everything you read. At least the marketing people have it right....