PDA

View Full Version : Malihini 3/4

Re8elmonk0341
05-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Went out solo today out of H&M on the Malihini. Light load only 33 today. The weather was gloomy and overcast all day. I think I only saw the sun twice today. Boat left at 0630, got to the islands 0730ish but we didn't start fishing till almost 0900. The capt. wanted to look around for some Bones and Tail but there was none to be found around the island. So we made a move to deeper waters for some bottom critters. First drop I hooked up on a nice size Bocaccio. Stayed there for about 10 mins. When the capt. wanted to fish shallower waters. This spot was wide open on rockfish. We were pulling up Reds, Whitefish, Starry Treefish, Coppers. We drifted for about 30 mins. Then we moved again when everyone started catching Sand Dabs. Plus the capt got some good intel that there is Bonito 8 mile south of the islands. So we move trollling feathers along the way. He told us that it would only be a 30-45 mins ride which turns out to be a 2+ hr ride. Because every 20 mins or so we would hook up on huge Bones. When we finally got to the spot it was steady picking on the Bones for the rest of the day. The smallest one caught being 'bout 16in and the biggest being 'bout 26. All-n-all a great day on the water. A lot of moving but the capt and crew worked hard to get us on fish. Great boat, delicious burgers, ice cold Bud Lite and I caught fish....what more can you ask for? That was my first time on that boat and it wont be the last.

My counts:
2 Bocaccio
2 Bonito
6 Starr Eye (Released)
1 White Fish (Released)
3 Sand Dabs (released)

troutdog
05-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Nice report, thanks for sharing the info. Bones are a sign of better things to come, I can't wait!

TD

sansou
05-05-2008, 08:29 AM
There was a time the Maliweenie wasn't favored by the locals....perhaps things have changed? Congrats on your bonito fishing!

Ricky-Ray
05-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the report.