PDA

View Full Version : Unfair Trade... A Legal for a Digital Camera?!? Ventura Coastline 5/4/08

Wingnut
05-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Today, was one expensive day in the surf! :evil:

Made plans to go surf fishing this morning but couldn't decide on where to go. Wanted to try something different so I finally narrowed my choices down two areas. Go North and fish the Ventura Coastline, or go South and hit the Dana Point area (maybe I'll run into City Dad, who is camping with his family at Doheny Beach this weekend). Prepped all my gear and went to bed early. I was just going to flip a coin in the morning and let luck decide where I will end up on Sunday morning. The 5:00am alarm goes off and the quarter went up in the air. Heads I go North, tails I head South. Heads it is... Merged onto the 101 North and off I went.

6:00am and the weather forecast calls for partly cloudy and cool morning. The incoming surge was rolling in with moderate sets and somewhat murky conditions. Plenty of salad in the water and I was ready for another LC finesse workout. Let's see if the Flat Boys are hanging out by the jettys today.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture010-7.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture007-8.jpg

It was kind of hazy and overcast conditions, so I decided to start the morning by throwing the LC FM110 Chartreuse Shad. Had to clean the veggies off the LC on just about every other cast or so. :mad: Ten minutes into the morning workout and this little short Butt broke the ice.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture007-23.jpg

That was a good sign... tells me that they're here and willing to play. :D
I nailed three short Butts in the first hour. The smallest 15 inches and the largest around 20 inches.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture008-23.jpg

Then for the next hour, nothing... not even a strike. So I switched to the Metallic Sardine pattern and continue to fan the surf. This little Butt came by to say hello. This guy was just slightly longer than the LC he's trying to eat. Now that's a Butt with an "attitude!" :twisted: More power to ya little guy, more power to ya. Come see me again when you're all grown up!
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture003-24.jpg

The Metallic Sardine jumped started the action again. Funny how quickly these Flatties turn from one pattern to another. Tip: If the pattern that you are using is not or no longer producing strikes... IT IS A WISE CHOICE to change to another pattern. ;) If you want to continue to catch fish of course. But if you don't, just throw the same pattern all day... it's good exercise. :mrgreen:

Got another four short Butts on the Metallic Sardine in the next hour and then the bite slowed down again. Still got a couple of decent strikes but no solid hook ups.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture005-23.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture006-23.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture001-27.jpg

9:30am and seven shorties already, but no legals, still not too bad. Plenty of action to keep things interesting. Then I switched to the Skeleton Sardine pattern and worked the surf around one of the jettys for a couple of decent slab BSPs.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture002-21.jpg

Now here comes the bummer part of my day. I noticed a nice hole to my right in the distance while standing on the jetty. By the way that the waves was breaking around this area I knew that this was a large size structure that I MUST investigate. I climbed off the jetty and walked down the beach and started to fan the structure. It was a pretty deep hole as I can see the dark and wide outline of the trough. On about the fourth cast, as the LC was traveling right over the hole, I saw a large black mass shot up and slammed the LC. I swung the rod for a home run and the thing just took off running. I knew right away that this was a quality fish and took my time working it through the set of incoming waves. I was in knee deep water and saw the nice size Flat Boy flapping away in the shallow taking short drag runs.

Brought him closer and bent down to perform a tail grab when my digital camera popped out of the chest pocket on my wader, that I FORGOT to zip up after the last Hali pic and went right into the water. :mad: The outgoing surf was sucking the camera back out as I saw it sliding on the sand going away from me. I immediately put my reel in freespool and let the fish run as I scramble after the camera (Why? I don't know, it's toast already, maybe just to save my memory card). :evil: I was fumbling around in the knee high surf for a good minute or two and finally saw the sparkle of the camera in the sand. Reached down and snatched it from the surf as another wave crashed into me knocking me down. I felt like a fricking idiot sitting there on the sand in a few inches of water completely soaked. On my right hand, a useless watersoaked camera... on my left hand, the meanest looking backlash that I have ever seen. :shock: All of the sudden the rod started to bounce... the darn fish was STILL on there. I stood up, started backing up on the sand and dragged the fish onto the beach. At this point, I didn't even care if the line snapped. The poor thing was bleeding profusely with the LC treble hooks tangled in it's gills. :???: I thought to myself.... great, I can't even release this fish... Poseidon is gonna be mad. :neutral:

Needless to say, this surf fishing outing is now over! I was a mess, drenched from head to toe, got sand on every part of my body, got a dead Flatty and a useless digital camera. My run of perfect weekends has finally come to an end. :lol: I dragged my exhausted butt to the car, digged in a nearby trashcan and found a large plastic bag and put the Hali in, threw everything in the trunk, changed my clothes and drove home. WOW, what a morning! :evil:

At least I got home just in time for the Lakers game. All my friends were already there. They were all shocked to see me pull a Flatty out of the trunk. This is THE FIRST surf fish that I have ever kept... ever. I'm glad that it was at least a legal.

25 inches - I don't even know how to clean & fillet this thing. Can somebody please PM me, send an email of a diagram or a link on "How to Fillet a Halibut?"
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture012-20.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture013-19.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture014-17.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture016-15.jpg

At least Wingnut Pug is happy about the whole thing. :lol:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture011-19.jpg

This is what I threw today: Lucky Craft FM110 Chartreuse Shad / Metallic Sardine / Skeleton Sardine (look at the missing shank/barb on one of the Skeleton Sardine's treble hooks, it's still in the gills of the Hali).
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture017-14.jpg

Yes, that's water behind the LCD screen. :evil: What a waste.
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture018-14.jpg

My Lakers crew (Blackwater, Nhatster, BadBeat, FishNFurious & company).

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture026-10.jpg

Well, I guess it could have been worse... at least the Lakers WON! :cool: :D
AND the Hali is a "legal".

Next weekend WILL be better!

Until next time... life is good, don't even sweat the small stuff. ;)

Arthur (Wingnut) :mrgreen:

"In life, it's your attitude, not your aptitude, that determines your altitude."

City Dad
05-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Dude, that's a bummer. However, if you think about the street value of that halibut - you know, cut up and served as tacos - I bet it could pay for a new camera (if you shop right.)

"Wingnuts Hali Hut" anyone?

troutdog
05-04-2008, 06:44 PM
OUCH on the camera and surf tumble! I guess it coulda been worse had the hali not been legal. Excellent read and nice day on the water....I woulda taken a short hali at BC today! Thanks for the report and pics, sorry bout the digi.

TD

vanillagurilla
05-04-2008, 06:57 PM
fileting a hali is easy WN. just start on the topside, cut along the lateral line running down the center of the fish. that will get you streight with the backbone. then just cut along the ribs in bothe directions. you should get 4 fillets off of her. 3 good ones and 1 small one.

fishincrave
05-04-2008, 07:01 PM
Hey wingnut great catch dude that's a nice butt it's ok to keep a nice butt every once in a while it's gona taste great anyway you eat it .

Sory to hear about the diggy cam and it's a good thing you didn't get hurt in the process.

Sean

calico killer kevin
05-04-2008, 07:30 PM
ONce you taste a halibut you will never let a legal go again! Oh no everyone, Wingnut's not letting his halis go! Now no one will ever catch anything!...Just Kidding.

Nice Fish,

Calico Killer Kevin

Z-TUNAKILLER
05-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey WN, Great pis & report, sorry about the camera but ...

WTF :confused:, did saltwater get inside, other then the screen ?

a few years ago i dropped my cell in saltwater, i immediately got it out and took out the batt. and started shaking it to get what little water was in it out, when i got home i sprayed it lightly with fresh water whipped it dry, then hit it with a hair dryer on low for about 5-7 min. left it on my window sill for a day, let the sun do the rest of the drying, put the batt. back in and BAM ...IT WORK ..

1 Lucky MoFo :cool:

VERY NICE HALI ! :thumb::thumb:

ToonZilla

FISH ON !

flyngby
05-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Always some great side story to your adventures.

That jetty was my third stop for the day and again nothing but a whole lot of lettuce for making the wife a sea salad!! I tried the slower retrieve also but the swells and side current left me with just a slack line.

I almost took a swim a few times myself due to the non consistent swells and some good under tow.

I guess I made them hungry for you as with my Rusty surf fishing techniques I did nothing but leave them with a meal!!!! One bad day will not keep me away!!

Great job as always Arthur!!!

Steve

Granny Fish
05-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Too bad about the camera, and even though you intended to release the hali, congrats on the legal, enjoy the fruit of your labor and eat that thing!

Might want to look into a waterproof digi cam. ;)

bsp
05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
This may sound dumb, but you could try dropping your camera in a bag of rice to save it. The rice will take out all the water. Once it has soaked overnight I would open it up and see if you can clean whatever visible particles there are. The rice trick works 80% of the time for electronics in freshwater, but I have never seen it tried in saltwater.
It is always great to read your reports and I am sorry an otherwise productive day had to have a bad side effect.

tacklejunkie
05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Any time you drop electronics in the water,
IMMEDIATELY remove the batteries and let it dry for 24 hours.
This can and has saved me electronics from time to time.

Sorry to hear about the soggy camera WN. I have done it myself as well and know it doesn't feel good! Good work stacking up the 'buts though man! You're on fire!

GeordyBass
05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
great job Wingy!
i was at channel islands harbor and got skunked!:evil:

Fisherman57
05-04-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh man!....... Now I REALLY feel bad!

Sorry I couldnt make it out there with ya on Sunday Arthur..... as always, I appreciate the invite...... . gimme a call when ya can and Ill explain why I couldnt even call ya back... :bang:

I feel your pain on the equipment loss ;) ....... and since I've taken pics with that camera, I know how nice it was.... :cry:..... since YOU catch fish when YOU go fishing...... feel free to borrow mine if ya need it.... my camera usually just takes shots of me WITH NO FISH, so it'd be a nice change for MY camera! LOL!
Let's hit "the hill" for sure this week and IM BUYING.... :rofl:

Nice work out there as always, and congrats on the legal my friend...... if ANYONE deserves to keep a legal.....it's you.

See ya soon.

"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret."

Dana

jplee3
05-04-2008, 10:57 PM
I heard something else you can do is get distilled water and wash the camera or even soak it in a little tub of it (with the battery out of course) It's supposed to remove the saltwater particles. After that, just leave it out to dry. And you'll want to make sure it's dried 110% before trying to turn it on again.

n1ckxlam
05-04-2008, 11:08 PM
sorry about the cam man.
bout filleting that thing, there are many ways
mostly i see people starting at the lateral line and working their way out, but this vid shows a very good way too

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NYgjcID4afI

Nick

JSAUCE818
05-04-2008, 11:15 PM
good job out there bro,...make them flatties pay on the next outing for what happend to your digi....hehe...wingnut pug looks good :0) he's recovering fine eh?...

boxl0bster
05-05-2008, 04:01 AM
great report as always arthur! sorry to hear about your camera. :evil:

steve092
05-05-2008, 05:51 AM
This may sound dumb, but you could try dropping your camera in a bag of rice to save it. The rice will take out all the water. Once it has soaked overnight I would open it up and see if you can clean whatever visible particles there are. The rice trick works 80% of the time for electronics in freshwater, but I have never seen it tried in saltwater.
It is always great to read your reports and I am sorry an otherwise productive day had to have a bad side effect.

Listen to this guy. Rice does help. I put my wet cell phone in a bowl of rice and it worked after sitting in it for a while.

Cangler
05-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Accidents do happen ... i got sand in my camera last summer , after
i caught a nice leo ...

sansou
05-05-2008, 08:24 AM
"Ouch" on the camera, but "congrats" on the fine halibut!! I agree, it is an unfair trade. I have a premonition you will be back to the "negotiating table" with vengeance in mind! Take care and see you around!

slixx
05-05-2008, 08:59 AM
What a weekend your camera was damagedand i lost my shades
well at least your not alone
great work on the butts

Brian_GSC
05-05-2008, 09:52 AM
Awesome man! Another great report from WN!

FishNFurious
05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Nice Hali dude! We all couldn't believe our eyes when we saw you pull that thing out of the trunk of your car. Wingnut killed a surf fish?!? :shock: ha ha, it's all good, better than to leave it to die anyways. I'm glad that Sang showed you how to filet that thing, that's going to be some good eating. Better invite me over for dinner buddy. :lol: Anyhow, the Lakers party was a blast as always and with your winnings you can buy yourself a new camera. ;)

Vince :cool:

crivera175
05-05-2008, 10:19 AM
bro,to bad about the camera,but you still had a nice day way to go:thumb:

brianw
05-05-2008, 10:59 AM
time to invest a water proof camera =D

Thanks for your report , its always been nice =)
wish i could learn from you

Nhatster
05-05-2008, 11:53 AM
When's DINNER!!! That was a really nice flatty, enjoy it, I know that you will. :D It was funny to see Wingnut Pug running around that fish barking and clawing at it. She didn't know what it was and wanted to play. I had fun yesterday bro, let's do it again next weekend. :cool:

Troutman65
05-05-2008, 04:00 PM
That sucks about your camera Arthur. Congrats on your take of that Halibutt.

TM65

CAPT'N
05-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Arthur,

Nice Hali-but too bad about the camera. I remember taking pictures with it at the beach, oh well.....at least You are OK.

I think its time for you to hit the Stripers again,...............

Let me know when you are going to "hit the Hill".

The pug looks like it's all better, thats great :smile:

Take care,

Scott

BIGRED KILLA
05-05-2008, 04:38 PM
:udaman::thumb::appl::udaman::thumb::appl::udaman: :thumb::appl::udaman::thumb::appl::udaman::thumb:

Bigred

Gmoney
05-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Wingnut
Another A+ report man!! Thanks for including us in your adventures!!
That is one very nice Hali....especially from the shore.
Hope the camera situation works out for ya - good luck. I dropped my wifes fuji digital in Lake Siskou last summer and it was fine two days later after a little drying out session.
laters
G$

KILLA
05-05-2008, 06:32 PM
Nice job bro, you've been on fire lately. I live near d.p and want to head out there soon. PM me if you decide to head this way.

Sorry about the camera

Killa

GOTFISHUES
05-05-2008, 07:05 PM
good day sir' wingnut,

i am a silent participant so far on fishingnetwork, i appreciate this forum of fish fanatics, but have learned its better to listen sometimes, your stories are always interesting and informative and i dig reading them. so now i hope to assist you and other fisherman who understand the importance of C.P.R. fishing, and the dollar value of dropping your digital camera in the water. i currently use an olympus 770 stylus, it is shock proof and water proof to up to 30 feet, they make other models that are 5 feet in depth resistance, which is all you need for happening's like urs. so b4 you invest in another camera check these out, and never have to worry about ruining another camera. thank you all for the knowledge you share on this site, and i shall share in due time.

GOTFISHUES

CoffeaRobusta
05-05-2008, 10:24 PM
Hey Wingnut,
Even when you have a bad day, you have a good day. I hope you enjoy your hali. I guess if Posideon was going to let you take a hali, it was going to be on his own terms. Nice report but I am sorry to hear about your camera. If I had the money I would invest in a nice waterproof camera or one that can be fitted with a waterproof housing. Not only will you not worry about getting the camera wet, but you can take underwater photos too. Keyword nice. Since I don't have money, I have a cheapo camera with a waterproof housing. It takes ok pictures, but does poor in low light situations (kind of silly for a camera designed to be underwater). But what the heck....it was only $60 and not $600 like a nice waterproof camera.

Wingnut
05-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Dude, that's a bummer. However, if you think about the street value of that halibut - you know, cut up and served as tacos - I bet it could pay for a new camera (if you shop right.) "Wingnuts Hali Hut" anyone?
Butt Tacos... hmmmmm, now there's an idea Tim. :rolleyes:

OUCH on the camera and surf tumble! I guess it coulda been worse had the hali not been legal. Excellent read and nice day on the water....I woulda taken a short hali at BC today! Thanks for the report and pics, sorry bout the digi.TD
I was definitely relieved that the Hali turned out to be a legal. No big deal about the camera, it could be replaced.

fileting a hali is easy WN. just start on the topside, cut along the lateral line running down the center of the fish. that will get you streight with the backbone. then just cut along the ribs in both directions. you should get 4 fillets off of her. 3 good ones and 1 small one.
Thanks for the directions, hope it's as easy as you have described it. ;)

Hey wingnut great catch dude that's a nice butt it's ok to keep a nice butt every once in a while it's gona taste great anyway you eat it .
Sorry to hear about the diggy cam and it's a good thing you didn't get hurt in the process.
Sean
I'm sure that it will taste great for dinner on Mother's Day this weekend. No big deal about the camera, small loss and it takes a more than a lousy wave to hurt me, only my pride. :lol:

Once you taste a halibut you will never let a legal go again! Oh no everyone, Wingnut's not letting his halis go! Now no one will ever catch anything!...Just Kidding.
Nice Fish,
Calico Killer Kevin
Ha Ha, that's funny Kevin. :mrgreen: The legal Butt population is safe, I will continue to release them and maybe keep a ratio of 1 out of every 10. ;)

Hey WN, Great pis & report, sorry about the camera but ...
WTF, did saltwater get inside, other then the screen ?
A few years ago i dropped my cell in saltwater, i immediately got it out and took out the batt. and started shaking it to get what little water was in it out, when i got home i sprayed it lightly with fresh water whipped it dry, then hit it with a hair dryer on low for about 5-7 min. left it on my window sill for a day, let the sun do the rest of the drying, put the batt. back in and BAM ...IT WORK ..
1 Lucky MoFo
VERY NICE HALI !
ToonZilla
FISH ON !
"Z", I'm in the cellphone biz and have revived many of them through the years. But most of them just dropped them real quick in the toilet, or in the sink while washing dishes or fell in the pool. My camera was in the surf & sand for a good minute or two. When I finally got it out of the surf and took out the battery, water and sand ran out of the camera like mad. It was thoroughly soaked. I gave it to my buddy (Blackwater) that claims that he can fix anything, let see if he can work his magic on tall order. Even if he gets it to work again, the unit will never be the same and I've already got another camera (a waterproof one) on the way. :D

Always some great side story to your adventures.
That jetty was my third stop for the day and again nothing but a whole lot of lettuce for making the wife a sea salad!! I tried the slower retrieve also but the swells and side current left me with just a slack line.
I almost took a swim a few times myself due to the non consistent swells and some good under tow.
I guess I made them hungry for you as with my Rusty surf fishing techniques I did nothing but leave them with a meal!!!! One bad day will not keep me away!!
Great job as always Arthur!!!
Steve
Timing is everything Steve, sometime they're there for you, sometimes they're not. That's why I'm constantly on the move when I fish the surf. On some days, I walk a couple of miles in the surf for just a handful of strikes. But if you're doing all the right things, it's just a matter of time until you get results, gotta have lots of patience.
And yes, I really dislike when there's a lot of salad in the water. Make things that much tougher, but more rewarding when you do succeed. ;)

Too bad about the camera, and even though you intended to release the hali, congrats on the legal, enjoy the fruit of your labor and eat that thing!
Might want to look into a waterproof digi cam.
I will most definitely enjoy my first kept Hali. Always order them in restaurants but never took one home to prepare for myself.
Already got a "waterproof" digital camera ON THE WAY, ordered it today. :D

That's a new one... uncooked rice right? :lol:
It was a very productive day, seven shorts & one legal is not too bad at all.
The little mishap didn't really ruin it for me, just ended my day in the surf a little sooner than expected that's all.

Any time you drop electronics in the water,
IMMEDIATELY remove the batteries and let it dry for 24 hours.
This can and has saved me electronics from time to time.
Sorry to hear about the soggy camera WN. I have done it myself as well and know it doesn't feel good! Good work stacking up the 'buts though man! You're on fire!
I think that this camera is beyond saving, but we'll see. I already got a replacement coming. Regarding the Butts, I've been pretty fortunate with my timing for them the last few weeks. Going at the right time & choosing the right places... I told you guys that I was lucky. ;)

great job Wingy!
i was at channel islands harbor and got skunked!:evil:
Bummer to hear about the skunk man... what were you fishing for? There are always some Bass to get around there on swimbaits. You'll get them next time... a little tougher to catch than Stripers.

Oh man!....... Now I REALLY feel bad!
Sorry I couldnt make it out there with ya on Sunday Arthur..... as always, I appreciate the invite...... . gimme a call when ya can and Ill explain why I couldnt even call ya back...
I feel your pain on the equipment loss ....... and since I've taken pics with that camera, I know how nice it was..... since YOU catch fish when YOU go fishing...... feel free to borrow mine if ya need it.... my camera usually just takes shots of me WITH NO FISH, so it'd be a nice change for MY camera! LOL!Let's hit "the hill" for sure this week and IM BUYING.... Nice work out there as always, and congrats on the legal my friend...... if ANYONE deserves to keep a legal.....it's you.
See ya soon.
"I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret."
Dana
Don't worry Dana, OFG & I had a good guess to what happened to you.
And we were right! Ha Ha ;)
No need to borrow your camera, sounds like it's jinxed! :bigsmile: Just kidding, I already have that one covered.
The "Hill" Thursday night... I'm there, leave your wallet at home Dana. I told you that those waitresses won't take your money when I'm there. :mrgreen:
Didn't plan on taking a legal Hali home, but oh well, there's a first time for everything.
Love your quote by the way... but I don't remember having one of those days myself. :rofl:

I heard something else you can do is get distilled water and wash the camera or even soak it in a little tub of it (with the battery out of course) It's supposed to remove the saltwater particles. After that, just leave it out to dry. And you'll want to make sure it's dried 110% before trying to turn it on again.
Thanks for the tip, but I'm pretty sure that it's a goner. :neutral: Saltwater & sand combo and electronics don't go together very well.

sorry about the cam man.
bout filleting that thing, there are many ways
mostly i see people starting at the lateral line and working their way out, but this vid shows a very good way too
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NYgjcID4afI
Nick
Thanks Nick, I've got quite a few PMs on how to cut these things up. A buddy of mine came over on Sunday & I watched him fillet the fish. Looks easy, but I'm sure that it's not.

good job out there bro,...make them flatties pay on the next outing for what happend to your digi....hehe...wingnut pug looks good :0) he's recovering fine eh?...
I took one legal as collateral damage for my camera. :twisted:
Wingnut Pug is doing great, back to her normal self again! :mrgreen:

great report as always arthur! sorry to hear about your camera. :evil:
No sweat Ernie, it's only a camera. See ya soon out there buddy. :cool:

Listen to this guy. Rice does help. I put my wet cell phone in a bowl of rice and it worked after sitting in it for a while.
A second opinion... must be true then. I did hear somewhere that rice does act as a natural desiccant.

Accidents do happen ... i got sand in my camera last summer , after i caught a nice leo ...
Knowing how careless I am with my gear, I'm surprised that it didn't happen any sooner. I did drop another camera in the water while fishing on the shore at Pyramid Lake last year. Gave it to my buddy (Blackwater) and told him if he can fix it, he can keep it. Guess what, he's still using it.

"Ouch" on the camera, but "congrats" on the fine halibut!! I agree, it is an unfair trade. I have a premonition you will be back to the "negotiating table" with vengeance in mind! Take care and see you around!
The negotiation has already begun. Next time, you can expect a blockbuster deal with the Fishing Gods. ;)

What a weekend your camera was damaged and i lost my shades
well at least your not alone
great work on the butts
Easy come... easy go. Soon you'll be sporting a new pair of shades & me, snapping away with my new "waterproof" camera. It's all good. :cool:

Awesome man! Another great report from WN!
Thanks Brian, and I appreciate the PM as well. :thumb:

Nice Hali dude! We all couldn't believe our eyes when we saw you pull that thing out of the trunk of your car. Wingnut killed a surf fish?!? ha ha, it's all good, better than to leave it to die anyways. I'm glad that Sang showed you how to filet that thing, that's going to be some good eating. Better invite me over for dinner buddy. Anyhow, the Lakers party was a blast as always and with your winnings you can buy yourself a new camera.
Vince
HaHaHa, that was priceless seeing the look everybody's faces when I plop that Hali on the driveway. I watched Sang pretty intently as he was filleting that fish, looks very straight forward.
I used about half of my winnings on Sunday to buy a new digital camera. ;)

bro,to bad about the camera, but you still had a nice day way to go
The day wasn't a total loss... I still had a good time.

time to invest a water proof camera =D
Thanks for your report , its always been nice =)
wish i could learn from you
The waterproof camera is on the way. I shoulda bought one a long time ago.

When's DINNER!!! That was a really nice flatty, enjoy it, I know that you will. It was funny to see Wingnut Pug running around that fish barking and clawing at it. She didn't know what it was and wanted to play. I had fun yesterday bro, let's do it again next weekend.
Dinner is Sunday night for Mothers day! I'll see you at Mom & Dad's. Winngut Pug thought that I brought her home a new toy... she didn't know what to make of the thing... pretty comical. :mrgreen:

That sucks about your camera Arthur. Congrats on your take of that Halibutt.
TM65
Thanks Patrick, how's the Halibut bite at Irvine Lake been lately? :mrgreen:

Arthur,
Nice Hali-but too bad about the camera. I remember taking pictures with it at the beach, oh well.....at least You are OK.
I think its time for you to hit the Stripers again,...............
Let me know when you are going to "hit the Hill".
The pug looks like it's all better, thats great
Take care,
Scott
I'm waiting for the big boys to show up at Castaic Scott.
Or the schoolies to thin out at Pyramid, which ever comes first. :twisted:
The "Hill" Thursday night, come on by & join us. :cool:
Wingnut Pug has completely recovered. Just need to grow some hair back on her hind side.

:udaman::thumb::appl:
Bigred
:cool: :D :mrgreen:

Wingnut
Another A+ report man!! Thanks for including us in your adventures!!
That is one very nice Hali....especially from the shore.
Hope the camera situation works out for ya - good luck. I dropped my wifes fuji digital in Lake Siskou last summer and it was fine two days later after a little drying out session.
laters
G$
Thanks "G$" Keep up the nice work in the salt there man. :D

Nice job bro, you've been on fire lately. I live near d.p and want to head out there soon. PM me if you decide to head this way.
Sorry about the camera
Killa
I almost went to Dana Point on Sunday, it was decided by a flip of a coin.
Do you know which beaches are good for surf fishing down there?
I'm going to pay that area a visit very soon. ;) :D

good day sir' wingnut,
i am a silent participant so far on fishingnetwork, i appreciate this forum of fish fanatics, but have learned its better to listen sometimes, your stories are always interesting and informative and i dig reading them. so now i hope to assist you and other fisherman who understand the importance of C.P.R. fishing, and the dollar value of dropping your digital camera in the water. i currently use an olympus 770 stylus, it is shock proof and water proof to up to 30 feet, they make other models that are 5 feet in depth resistance, which is all you need for happening's like urs. so b4 you invest in another camera check these out, and never have to worry about ruining another camera. thank you all for the knowledge you share on this site, and i shall share in due time.
GOTFISHUES
You've read my mind! :D
This morning, I ordered the new Olympus 1030 SW. With overnight shipping, I will have it in a day. Should have bought a camera like this a long time ago.
Waterproof down to 33 feet
Sandproof and scratch resistant
Crushproof up to 220 lbs of pressure
Shockproof up to 6.6' drop
Freezeproof down to 11 degrees
10 Megapixels
4X zoom
All this and still as compact as my previous camera. This should survive all my adventures from snowboarding Mammoth Mountains to surf fishing the coastline.

I'm looking forward to reading your reports. :cool: :D

Hey Wingnut,
Even when you have a bad day, you have a good day. I hope you enjoy your hali. I guess if Posideon was going to let you take a hali, it was going to be on his own terms. Nice report but I am sorry to hear about your camera. If I had the money I would invest in a nice waterproof camera or one that can be fitted with a waterproof housing. Not only will you not worry about getting the camera wet, but you can take underwater photos too. Keyword nice. Since I don't have money, I have a cheapo camera with a waterproof housing. It takes ok pictures, but does poor in low light situations (kind of silly for a camera designed to be underwater). But what the heck....it was only $60 and not $600 like a nice waterproof camera.
Poseidon sure drives a hard bargain doesn't he? I'm not sure that I want to bargain with him too often. He can keep his Halibuts, I don't mind pulling them in & throwing them back.
I am getting a waterproof camera sent to me in couple of days, it's a very good idea since I don't treat my gear very well.
See ya out in the surf sometimes.

Badbeat
05-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Gee Art, you take the time to respond the every single person that reply to your post? That's pretty considerate bro. :cool: It's just as fun and interesting reading your response than the report itself. I picked up a few tips there as well. ;)

Nice job on the Halibut bro, that's a quality fish. Sadness about your camera but no surprise to hear that you already got a replacement coming. You're always on top of everything. See ya Saturday night at the tournament. :D

Peace out! Binh

blackwater
05-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Arthur
Saltwater and Electronics DO NOT MIX....
Here's your prognosis... NO BUENO
2nd Option... GIVE IT UP BROTHER
Final Thoughts... IT'S A GONER... DEAD... DEAD... DEAD...

Ocean wins this one:rofl:
BW

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/trip5013/P1010603.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/trip5013/P1010598.jpg
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj51/trip5013/P1010601.jpg

FishNFurious
05-06-2008, 05:41 PM
Damn, that's a Lumix FX-100 too, nice camera. :shock:
If Phuong says it can't be fixed, IT CAN'T BE FIXED! He can repair just about anything. Oh well Art. RIP.

Wingnut
05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Gee Art, you take the time to respond the every single person that reply to your post? That's pretty considerate bro. :cool: It's just as fun and interesting reading your response than the report itself. I picked up a few tips there as well. ;)
Nice job on the Halibut bro, that's a quality fish. Sadness about your camera but no surprise to hear that you already got a replacement coming. You're always on top of everything. See ya Saturday night at the tournament. :D
Peace out! Binh
The way I see it... If somebody takes the time to comment on my thread, the least I can do is to respond to it, just common courtesy.
See you Saturday bro, let's circle the school of fish at the table. :twisted:

Arthur
Saltwater and Electronics DO NOT MIX....
Here's your prognosis... NO BUENO
2nd Option... GIVE IT UP BROTHER
Final Thoughts... IT'S A GONER... DEAD... DEAD... DEAD...
Ocean wins this one:rofl:
BW
I figured as much Phuong... oh well. :neutral: That camera has seen its fair share of slayings. :D

Damn, that's a Lumix FX-100 too, nice camera. :shock:
If Phuong says it can't be fixed, IT CAN'T BE FIXED! He can repair just about anything. Oh well Art. RIP.
No worries Vince, it's about time I get the proper "waterproof" version anyways. ;) See ya Saturday man. :cool:

fredy_bassangler
05-06-2008, 10:15 PM
losing my camera to the ocean is one of my concerns when fishing so i got this:

http://www.buy.com/prod/intova-ic500-5-0mp-underwater-digital-camera-with-3x-optical-zoom-and/q/loc/111/206481559.html

Its a digital camera and it comes with a waterproof case all for under $100

Santa Fe Eric
05-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Another great outing!
Sorry about the camera, but I'm confident that you will recover. Also, I think that Poseidon will forgive you for eating the Halibut :p

Peace
Santa Fe

Robert trout hunter
05-10-2008, 11:19 AM
Aww wingpug is soo cute nice hali

Nhatster
05-10-2008, 03:09 PM

http://www.buy.com/prod/intova-ic500-5-0mp-underwater-digital-camera-with-3x-optical-zoom-and/q/loc/111/206481559.html

Damn, that's a darn good deal for a water-proof camera, thanks for the link. :D

Wingnut
05-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Very cool, I already got one but this looks like a great deal. :cool:

Another great outing!
Sorry about the camera, but I'm confident that you will recover. Also, I think that Poseidon will forgive you for eating the Halibut :p
Peace
Santa Fe
Yo Big "E", I traded Poseidon a digital camera for a Hali. I think he got the better end of the deal. :neutral: :D

Aww wingpug is soo cute nice hali
Wingnut Pug: I'm going Flat Boy hunting tomorrow, wish me luck! ;)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture027-10.jpg

Damn, that's a darn good deal for a water-proof camera, thanks for the link. :D
It is a great deal! If you surf fish, you gotta have one of these waterproof cameras, I learned my lesson. :cool:

CASTAWAY
05-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Wow, you're good with the lures. Kicking some
major butts...:) Sorry bout' the digi though...

Puggie reminds me of a commercial;

there ain't no bugs on me,
there may be bugs on some of you mugs,
but there ain't no bugs on me....:)

blackwater
05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Yo Bro!
I cleaned it up and tried to put power to it...
Like Roberto Duran said so famously...

"NO MAS! :cry:

Sorry... may it rest in peace... I'll bring by the bits and pieces when i see you next...

GO LAKERS!
BW

TroutOnly
05-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I LOVE THE PUG AND POLE SHOTS,YOURE CAMERA GOT THE SAME DEAL AS MINE YOU AND BLACKWATER HIT PYRAMID WITH ME,OH WELL,I LIKE THE KILLING MR FLATTY CAUSE HE TASTES SO GOOD,,,t/o

Wingnut
05-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Wow, you're good with the lures. Kicking some
major butts...:) Sorry bout' the digi though...
Puggie reminds me of a commercial;
there may be bugs on some of you mugs,
but there ain't no bugs on me....:)
I don't recall that commercial Tony, but it sounds cool. :cool:

Yo Bro!
I cleaned it up and tried to put power to it...
Like Roberto Duran said so famously...
"NO MAS! :cry:
Sorry... may it rest in peace... I'll bring by the bits and pieces when i see you next...
GO LAKERS!
BW
Don't bother giving the thing back to me Phuong, junk it! I appreciate you trying to salvage the unit though. ;) :cool:

I LOVE THE PUG AND POLE SHOTS,YOURE CAMERA GOT THE SAME DEAL AS MINE YOU AND BLACKWATER HIT PYRAMID WITH ME,OH WELL,I LIKE THE KILLING MR FLATTY CAUSE HE TASTES SO GOOD,,,t/o
I remember that Bob... a leaky hose from what I can recall. :evil:
Can't wait until the Smackdown Bob, You, Kewly & myself are gonna tear it up! :twisted:

Here is the replacement camera, I took it for a test drive in the surf today. A report is in the works. ;)
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut2/Picture069.jpg