PDA

View Full Version : Zeke's better ... or PBait?

billy b
05-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Which do you like better up in the Sierras ... particularly the Loop area? And which colors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a million!

IncredibleHuck
05-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Which do you like better up in the Sierras ... particularly the Loop area? And which colors?

Thanks a million!

Personally up there in the Sierras I would try tossing some Lip Ripperz trout worms or minijigs. They will get some good sized fish up there, and it's always more enjoyable to catch fish on lures, then bait.

Sierra_Smitty
05-04-2008, 05:42 PM

Thanks a million!

PB is better than Zeke's. Chartruese, Orange, Rainbow are probably the only colors you'd ever need to buy. The Berkley Gulp eggs are a very hot bait.

I think an inflated nightcrawler works better than dough bait about 90% of the time.

JMO

-smitty

usmcfisherman
05-04-2008, 05:49 PM
PB is better than Zeke's. Chartruese, Orange, Rainbow are probably the only colors you'd ever need to buy. The Berkley Gulp eggs are a very hot bait.

I think an inflated nightcrawler works better than dough bait about 90% of the time.

JMO

-smitty

agread,rwb,rainbow,red sherbert,chuncky cheese,charteruse,and white pb.

tenderloin
05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Zekes corn can be very effective as well

FreshandSalt
05-04-2008, 07:40 PM
Alls i gotta say is, when it comes to fishing for trout with dough bait...my new favorite one is white powerbait, especially the Gulp! label

GdHkSet1
05-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Inflated NC w/ Gulp egg on a Owner hook.... good luck

Marley
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
If they aren't biting nightcrawlers, they aren't biting. But, just in case, I would carry original yellow and rainbow PB, maybe garlic Zeke's.
Wasn't Power Bait developed in the waters of the June Lake loop? If memory serves, it was heavily tested on Grant Lake.

Badfish2
05-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Pretty much anything works up there to be honest.. you can spray it with garlic and it's all the same to the fish. I've found in the sierras color is more important than the brand...

Sierra Gold tends to stay soft in the cold sierra water.. Power Bait tends to get hard and this could be problematic with hooking the fish.. but if you use small amounts of bait (which you should) either way is fine. I've found that Salmon egg flavor power bait with garlic sauce/spray is "Da best" Also sierra gold in Yellow and orange tends to land quite a few fish. Personally, I set the girls in the group up with the PB combos while I fish the Thomas Bouyants..nothing is more efffective in the sierras than a Gold/Red Thomas Bouyant.

billy b
05-05-2008, 08:54 AM
MUCH.

I'm totally new to the power eggs idea. Are you talking about using them on a single hook like a Pautzke's? Or are you talking about threading them up a worm hook and then using a NC / worm ... or a LipRip?

What happened to using Pautzke's? Anbody use the strawberry sundae (white marshmallow and Pautke's)?

What ever happend to using marshmallows, velveeta, Phoebes & SupDups? Now I'm showing my age.

billy b
05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
what is "rwb" and "chuncky cheese?" Sorry to be ignorant.
How are you finding that the new Gulp compares to the old PBs? Does it matter if you use orginal PB (such as rainbow, yellow, etc) ... or is extra scent ... or Turbo ... or Chroma-Glow better?

And how do you use the power eggs?

billy b
05-05-2008, 09:00 AM
I am going to try some plastic worms, little Rips and jigs, etc. I always troll some and toss a few lures. That IS the best action.

Does anyone prefer using plastic worms vs. mini-jigs vs. ???

billy b
05-05-2008, 09:08 AM
There are so many ... and have you tried most of them?

Thanks for the input. Have you found one Garlic works better that another ... and which (if any) garlics have you tried?

Joshua
05-05-2008, 10:01 AM
I have fond memories of fishing with Zekes. It always reminds me of my dad (RIP). But for catching fish, PW is the best sheeeet out there. Outfishes worms all the time.
Need to consider where you are fishing., Bait and wait at the lake or tossing into a Sierra Stream. I dont do much lake fishing, so maybe the worm is effective there. I just dont care to use them.

My go to is salmon eggs (green lable)< then power bait. I will throw jigs and power worms. I dont care for Lipripperz (sorry sponsors). They dont seem to get the same action that the power worms has. Lipripperz seem to be more durable. I want fish, I dont really care about durablility.
You need to throw whatever you have confidence in. If it is velveeta cheese, then toss it out there. Maybe you like corn covered in nitro gravy.

J-hook
05-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Last summer, 2007, word on the water was that they were hitting on salmon eggs. That was nice to know, but I didn't have any w/ me. I tied on a new treble hook in bright red. With nothing on it, I landed a fish in less than 2 minutes! This was quick enough so I didn't get hung up in the stream. The point to me is - when they're hitting, they're hitting!!

Badfish2
05-05-2008, 11:54 PM
MUCH.

I'm totally new to the power eggs idea. Are you talking about using them on a single hook like a Pautzke's? Or are you talking about threading them up a worm hook and then using a NC / worm ... or a LipRip?

What happened to using Pautzke's? Anbody use the strawberry sundae (white marshmallow and Pautke's)?

What ever happend to using marshmallows, velveeta, Phoebes & SupDups? Now I'm showing my age.

Those lures still work great, especially in gold colors. Mostly super dupers in the smaller sizes are cranking out fish in the slower moving pools of streams. I'd say there are still quite a few using velveeta and marshmellows. Most of the Sierra Gold baits have the same consitancy as Velveeta when they hit the water. When it comes to the sierras keep it simple, and small, unless you're going for the big fish .. then it's time to bust out the CD 9 Husky Jerk

sevenout
05-06-2008, 01:32 AM
That opinion depends on what decade you were born in: 1950's-Valveeta Cheese; 60's-Zeke's Floating Bait and if you were born in the 70's-Any new product Berkeley puts out!

billy b
05-06-2008, 08:16 AM
big rock at Gull (at least I thought he was ... maybe he was next to the rock) ... and he was the only one doing anything and he was hammering them. Said he was using horse meat!

I come in with Atlas white salmon eggs or sometimes the red ones.

Badfish2
05-06-2008, 03:59 PM
:rofl: Horse Meat

Sparky70
05-06-2008, 05:39 PM
ZEKE'S bait sucks..I cannot get it to stay on the hook.:rofl::rofl:

Mike274
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I am with the Sierra Gold club. Very good bait and doesn't get hard in the cold water. I like the Chartreuse/orange combo.

Badfish2
05-06-2008, 11:29 PM
yeah, that's because you have to keep sierra gold cold .. I leave my bait can in the water, it helps keep it a little bit harder so when you go to put it on the hook it doesn't stick to your hands.

TroutOnly
05-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Zekes,,,,,

DaFish
05-07-2008, 10:10 AM
I like powerbait.

I think Orange works great at Crowley.
Rainbow at Mamie w/Nitro gravy
Pink at Saddlebag

Can anyone tell me what colors work good at some of the lakes? I with try to go to June loop and Mammoth lakes this summer.

Fear No Trout
05-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Sierra Gold tends to stay soft in the cold sierra water.. Power Bait tends to get hard and this could be problematic with hooking the fish.. but if you use small amounts of bait (which you should) either way is fine.

I have to agree with the above. I remember this discovery while fishing Lake Ellery when the water adjacent to the damm was frozen solid for a good 30'. I casted out first using PB and after a few minutes I reeled in the bait and it bounced hard as a marble on the adjacent ice. I then tried Sierra Gold and it remained soft and plyable.

Overall when I used PB I still prefer the good ol' Berkley "Twist Baits"...Lemon and Lime Twist baits are my favorite if I use PB. But as many you already know I prefer what I called the "Dreaded Threaded" crawler method as my primary bait of choice.

Fear No Trout