PDA

View Full Version : 2 day on the big game 90 out of long beach

dodgerfan
05-04-2008, 06:37 AM
a last minute cancellation on a port hueneme boat made my buddies (paddy) and drew to find another boat and decided on a 2 day on the big game 90. we have been on the boat a couple times and the crew is chill and the captain really tries to put you on fish. Anyways, first day its rockfish and everyone puts a few rockfish in the sack... i kept 3 sheephead and 3 quality reds. paddy hooked up into a real nice double digit halibut. at the end of the first day we were rolling to another spot when all of the sudden a deckhand yells "boil, boil" and the captain puts us on it and within a few minutes every few people were bendo on quailty yellows between 20-30 pounds. i eventually hooked up with a slider sinker and live squid and this guy has me bendo and when i had him close and he saw the boat the fight had just begun. it takes line and takes me halfway around the while settling at the stern and going deep...i fight him until he sees the boat again....takes one last turn for freedom....and snaps my line!!! what an idiot!!!! hook into a yellow and lose it all because my drage was buttoned down!! my chance for a first yellow much less a quality yellow is over...bite done. this guy snapped my 40 pound and i have to wait for another time. it ruins my day and i hope for a seabass the next day to make up for it. next day at catalina hardcore all day sea bass fishing with no results. some people resorted to perch fishing, while others dragged it out waiting for that elusive seabass that would never come. a couple small halibut were caught with nothing else to speak of. we hit some warm water at 62.5 which was the warmest ive heard of so far this spring. with this weather the bite should take off within a few weeks and i think we'll be seeing some better numbers. until tight lines and keep those drags set!!!

halo16
05-05-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks for the report sorry about the yellow, I feel you pain.
I agree if the water temp can just get a little warmer and stay things will turn on.

sansou
05-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Sorry about your first yellow! Keep at it, they aren't exactly scarce, you'll have many under your belt by the time summer is over!! (Well, let's just say, you'll have a better chance at catching some if you don't fish with those amateurs "Paddy & Drew"... ha ha!!)

Tail Chaser
05-05-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the report.
Must of been fun fighting that bruiser yellowtail.
Tough call if your drag was to tight with 40#.
Or he just broke you off in some structure

BIGRED KILLA
05-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Dude that sucks about the yellow Dean i cant believe you buttoned down on him there goes your only chance that suks.
jk

Bigred

Oz
05-05-2008, 05:05 PM
great report...u will get ya YT & WSB soon enough in the upcoming months.

what boat cancelled out of port hueneme??? i just got back yesterday off the mirage.

Mr Bendo
05-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Don't feel bad! It took me awhile to get my first yellow! It was only 10lbs! Caught him at Catalina while fishing for Bones on 15lb test on my "three B's" rod.

FISHINGBEE
05-05-2008, 09:45 PM
a last minute cancellation on a port hueneme boat made my buddies (paddy) and drew to find another boat and decided on a 2 day on the big game 90. we have been on the boat a couple times and the crew is chill and the captain really tries to put you on fish. Anyways, first day its rockfish and everyone puts a few rockfish in the sack... i kept 3 sheephead and 3 quality reds. paddy hooked up into a real nice double digit halibut. at the end of the first day we were rolling to another spot when all of the sudden a deckhand yells "boil, boil" and the captain puts us on it and within a few minutes every few people were bendo on quailty yellows between 20-30 pounds. i eventually hooked up with a slider sinker and live squid and this guy has me bendo and when i had him close and he saw the boat the fight had just begun. it takes line and takes me halfway around the while settling at the stern and going deep...i fight him until he sees the boat again....takes one last turn for freedom....and snaps my line!!! what an idiot!!!! hook into a yellow and lose it all because my drage was buttoned down!! my chance for a first yellow much less a quality yellow is over...bite done. this guy snapped my 40 pound and i have to wait for another time. it ruins my day and i hope for a seabass the next day to make up for it. next day at catalina hardcore all day sea bass fishing with no results. some people resorted to perch fishing, while others dragged it out waiting for that elusive seabass that would never come. a couple small halibut were caught with nothing else to speak of. we hit some warm water at 62.5 which was the warmest ive heard of so far this spring. with this weather the bite should take off within a few weeks and i think we'll be seeing some better numbers. until tight lines and keep those drags set!!!Cannot believe sat the second day at Catalina clemente would have been better. Staying out looking for more tails. Sorry about the yellow better luck next time.

FISHINGBEE

vagabond
05-07-2008, 10:27 AM
snapped your 40# test,must of been a biggon.hey better luck next time

Brian_GSC
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Man, that sucks! Did you get it to color?

DrewRanch
05-07-2008, 11:56 AM
great report...u will get ya YT & WSB soon enough in the upcoming months.

what boat cancelled out of port hueneme??? i just got back yesterday off the mirage.

The Mirage?!? That's the boat we were going to go out on.... They called me to cancell the Wed (April 30) 1.5 day trip due to 40 knot wind that morning :confused:

How did you do up there?