PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Water Fishing-where you can eat your catch...

Koshaw
05-02-2008, 01:59 AM
Are there Fresh water fishing places within a 1-3 hour drive of San Francisco?

I go up to San Francisco to visit buddies who love to eat their catches but... 95% of all fresh water lakes/streams up there are in gold country-with polluted lakes from all the gold mining ie mercury contamination...Are there any nice lakes/streams in north california where the water is still pure and pristine?

Thanks folx and hope to hear from ya!

Badfish2
05-02-2008, 05:27 AM
http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl&q=san%20francisc

Check out Clearlake. .. it's about 2 hours. If you would drive 3 hours you should check out Lake McClure, Lake McSwain. (I highly recommend these lakes) Those two lakes along with the Merced river combines for some amazing fishing. They have Kokonee trout in there, kind of like a land locked salmon.

Folsom lake is also pretty good when it's not a 1000 degrees, if you're going up soon you should be golden as far as weather goes. They also have rainbows, bass,land locked salmon and some browns... this is near sacramento..so about an hour from SF

Really close to SF there is Shadow Hills Park lake, it's sort of a rock quarry that's got really clear water. There is limited shore access and what is open fills up fast. Most of the shore where it's worth fishing has steep drop offs, bring a long net. Big bass in there, and some trout. check the stocking schedule or call the lake. This lake is in Livermore.

troutslayer05
05-02-2008, 10:53 PM
The lake in livermore is call SHADOW CLIFFS park ...they plant thunder trout there as well as rainbows and catfish..some big bass there as well. One of my favs in the bayarea. I would also recomend Los Vaqueros lake in livermore. lots o trout bass and catfish there. Its all stockers but a great place to fish. Check out www.norcalfishing.com Good luck

Koshaw
05-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Thank you for your fast and detailed replies :D:D

It is much appreciated and will will try em out =^^=

I am first going to Parchers Resort to fish South Lake (BISHOP) in June...after that :D

Hope to get me some 2-5+ pound alpers, browns, etc.

If you are going up in June hollar maybe we can meetup.