PDA

View Full Version : 05/01/08 a place near 605 freeway

brianw
05-01-2008, 05:31 PM
i live around this area but i never fished here .. today i tried it for about 30 mins.. used some lure , swimbait , no luck , anyone fished here before?

this place is off the end of the 605 @ studebaker

http://i32.tinypic.com/oq8znp.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/ff7eyt.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/28tcoo.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/2lnbgbb.jpg

CoffeaRobusta
05-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Never fished there before but the power plant looks familiar......I'm guessing that is the Los Cerritos Channel. I suposse it could be the San Gabriel river too. That's like 1/5 of a mile due west of Studebaker.

Kind of out of place for a bay, harbor, and surf forum no?

crystalmath79
05-01-2008, 06:40 PM
I think I've fished there before a long time ago. We used nightcrawlers to catch a few tilapia. Don't know if there are other species present as well

ToadsToadsOnly
05-01-2008, 08:49 PM
8 used to fish there when I was a kid tons of tilapia, don't let the word get out to the phillipinos. All my phillipino friends love tilapia.

ghetto dad
05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
8 used to fish there when I was a kid tons of tilapia, don't let the word get out to the phillipinos. All my phillipino friends love tilapia.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

brianw
05-01-2008, 09:00 PM
hope this helps to explain the spot clearly

http://i29.tinypic.com/2w3crk7.jpg

crystalmath79
05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Mmmmmmmm, deep fried Tilapia with patis/calamansi. If anyone finds a local lake with milkfish(bangus), forget about it. Filipinos will crowd that lake like Baskin Robbins last night.

ghetto dad
05-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Mmmmmmmm, deep fried Tilapia with patis/calamansi. If anyone finds a local lake with milkfish(bangus), forget about it. Filipinos will crowd that lake like Baskin Robbins last night.

LOL at Baskin Robbins!! Dude, it was sooooo packed....i just decided to go to Cold Stones and spend $50....

GD

CoffeaRobusta
05-02-2008, 08:00 AM
Brian,
that would be the San Gabriel river and from what I've heard there's lots of tilapia in the brackish waters near the power plant.

brianw
05-02-2008, 08:28 AM
what kind of bait should i use? or what kind of setup?
i never seen people fishing there
Thanks

Brian

fish4keep
05-02-2008, 01:07 PM
This Is Not The San Gabriel River....

Rubble
05-02-2008, 04:16 PM
This Is Not The San Gabriel River....

Then I guess they named the Frwy. next to it wrong.........

I use to fish it from its starting point up past Whittier were it is freshwater for Catfish.Then we would ride our bikes all the way to the Seal Beach Jetty for Bonitos......all in the same Day......Of course I was a little Younger then....;)

Yellow Fever 80
05-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Its not worth fishing.

jonshibata
05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
I used to go a lot when I was a kid. Farther down near when it empties into the ocean, though. Just use a small 2" float with a piece of nightcrawler or redworm. Find one and you usually find a big school and it's all you want. Should still be some areas with people fishing.

Wildhorse1966
05-02-2008, 07:03 PM
I used to go a lot when I was a kid. Farther down near when it empties into the ocean, though. Just use a small 2" float with a piece of nightcrawler or redworm. Find one and you usually find a big school and it's all you want. Should still be some areas with people fishing.

i used to fish the same area doing this setup ... it killed ....

good luck out there

fish4keep
05-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Then I guess they named the Frwy. next to it wrong.........

I use to fish it from its starting point up past Whittier were it is freshwater for Catfish.Then we would ride our bikes all the way to the Seal Beach Jetty for Bonitos......all in the same Day......Of course I was a little Younger then....;)

The San Gabriel River is the one on the east side of the plant. The one they are on is the channel (Los Cerritos Channel) connected to Alamitos Bay. It's on the west side of the plant running right next to Studebaker Rd. The bridge they are under is Loynes Dr. bridge.

This is not the San Gabriel River.......

boxl0bster
05-02-2008, 08:25 PM
if you want tilapia you're better off going to balboa park. i dont know if its still on fire there but you should hook into quite a few there.

Hitts0n
05-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Ive seen huge carp come up outta there......

brianw
05-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Ive seen huge carp come up outta there......

aint that place supposed to be salt water?

Rubble
05-02-2008, 11:26 PM
The San Gabriel River is the one on the east side of the plant. The one they are on is the channel (Los Cerritos Channel) connected to Alamitos Bay. It's on the west side of the plant running right next to Studebaker Rd. The bridge they are under is Loynes Dr. bridge.

This is not the San Gabriel River.......

Agreed,............And I Wouldn't Eat Anything that came from Either one.... :oops:
Would You.... ???

jerryG
05-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Back in the 80's people used to fish that stretch of water along Studebaker and also on the other side where the plant pumps the water out. They would catch talipia as well as stripers. I never bothered fishing those channels myself but I know of someone who had some success back there on the big stripers. Keep in mind this was over 20 years ago and at the time there were also a few pictures of some nice stripers caught from those channels on picture board at Norms bait.

Jerryg

PUDD MASTER BAITER
05-03-2008, 07:28 AM
All Those Channels Are Packed With Tilapia. We Use To Catch Countless Numbers, On Pieces Of Night Crawlwer Or Red Worms. Its The Same Baits We Used At The Salton Sea. I Wont Recommend Eating Them,but Its A Blast With A Float Set Up. Good Luck.... Mike The Pmb...

fish4keep
05-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Agreed,............And I Wouldn't Eat Anything that came from Either one.... :oops:
Would You.... ???

This thread is not about eating. But I wouldn't eat or have yet to fish for anything in the channel or SG River. I've driven by thousands of time and have seen people fish and place thier catch inside the bucket.

brianw
05-03-2008, 03:05 PM
This thread is not about eating. But I wouldn't eat or have yet to fish for anything in the channel or SG River. I've driven by thousands of time and have seen people fish and place thier catch inside the bucket.

i dun normally eat fish i catch in habour , river, dock or pier
juz wanna bring some friends and have fun =)

TimmyBoy
05-04-2008, 01:01 AM
too be honest. i wouldnt bother fishing there.
you might as well try inside los alamitos bay for the spotties or try further down the channel on the seal beach side.
theres also a couple spots that i can tell you that are relatively slow to there.
thats my AO so im usually out there.
PM or give me a heads up when youre gonna go and ill show you some good spots.

brianw
05-05-2008, 11:31 AM
too be honest. i wouldnt bother fishing there.
you might as well try inside los alamitos bay for the spotties or try further down the channel on the seal beach side.
theres also a couple spots that i can tell you that are relatively slow to there.
thats my AO so im usually out there.
PM or give me a heads up when youre gonna go and ill show you some good spots.

Thanks for your kindly info, when do u normally fish?
i live very close by , that would be great if you dun mind sharing your favorite spot =)

Thanks