PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Livers?!?

FisherManDingo
05-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Hey Guys! This question popped into my head earlier and I had to ask. Any of you ever use chicken/beef livers for bait? I haven't, but I can only imagine the results. Catfish love it, why not a halibut, or a bat, or even a leopard? What do you guys think?

Ricky-Ray
05-01-2008, 03:50 PM
I've only used chicken liver for catfish.

bsp
05-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Hey Guys! This question popped into my head earlier and I had to ask. Any of you ever use chicken/beef livers for bait? I haven't, but I can only imagine the results. Catfish love it, why not a halibut, or a bat, or even a leopard? What do you guys think?

Halibut would NOT go for chicken liver. Think about what they eat: bait fish, bait fish, bait fish! Chicken Liver has nothing to do with bait fish. Sharks and rays may. It is a bloody, smelly piece of meat, so it is right in line with their diet. The only reason not to use it is that there is a DFG regulation that says you cannot use animal meat (birds and mammals) as bait in saltwater, and that is a good reason not to.

Fish Dog
05-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm sure sharks would eat them but who knows about anything else - post a report when you try it!

FisherManDingo
05-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I would like to try it out, but I was just told by bsp that its against DFG regulations.

KaliDawgFan
05-02-2008, 05:04 AM
Halibut would NOT go for chicken liver. Think about what they eat: bait fish, bait fish, bait fish! Chicken Liver has nothing to do with bait fish. Sharks and rays may. It is a bloody, smelly piece of meat, so it is right in line with their diet. The only reason not to use it is that there is a DFG regulation that says you cannot use animal meat (birds and mammals) as bait in saltwater, and that is a good reason not to.

I got a halibut on mussel before.

bsp
05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
I got a halibut on mussel before.

That is kind of startling. I am not a halibut master, but I did work in an aquarium for a few months and we only fed the halibut bait fish. They also eat squid, but then again everything eats squid. Also, all the lures people use for halibut are either squid or baitfish imitators, and the people who catch halibut consistently with bait are using bait fish 90% of the time. I have to ask, was it a legal?

Fish Dog
05-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I would like to try it out, but I was just told by bsp that its against DFG regulations.

I just searched the whole DFG reg book and I'm not seeing that. Can bsp provide the regulation so I can read it?

bsp
05-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I just searched the whole DFG reg book and I'm not seeing that. Can bsp provide the regulation so I can read it?

I was told this by two different DFG wardens on two separate as they were checking licenses. The first time I saw this was last summer when the warden gave a ticket to another fishermen who was using chicken meat and organs as leopard shark bait. Then it happened again when a different warden gave another angler a ticket for using beef liver and fat for leopard shark bait. Both of these incidents happened on the Manhattan Beach Pier. Since I do not use bait unless it is on a party boat (or surf perch for leos), I was only posting what I had heard two wardens tell different individuals. If it is not prohibited in the regulations go for it and see how the bat rays and leopard sharks like it!

ThemBastards
05-04-2008, 09:58 AM
I have heard of it working.

Fish Dog
05-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Just FYI - I asked the PR Gal from Fish & Game if chicj=ken livers and such were illegal in Salt water...

Hi Eric,

There is nothing illegal about using chicken livers, meats or organs as bait in saltwater either. Generally, if the regulations don't specifically state that something is illegal or cannot be used, there is no prohibition against it.

I hope this helps!

Carrie

^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~
<>< ><> <><
Carrie E. Wilson Tel: (831) 649-7191
Associate Marine Biologist Fax: (831) 649-2917
Western Outdoor News DFG Q&A Columnist
California Department of Fish and Game
20 Lower Ragsdale Drive, Suite #100
Monterey, CA 93940
E-mail: CWILSON@DFG.CA.GOV

So, looks like it is legal.