PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Eastern Sierra Opener W/Lip RipperZ Posse

Lip Ripperz
04-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Just got back from an amazing 2008 Eastern Sierra Trout Opener!! Ive attached a pic and hopefully will get the video footage in soon!! What a weekend!!

-2008 Eastern Sierra Opener-
Alpers Hunting With Team Lip RipperZ

By Bryan Friedman / Lip RipperZ President

An explosion of bent rods, splashing fish and five of the biggest grins you’ll ever see on a human face, consumed us as we had magically stumbled onto one of the finest days of fishing one could ever imagine. A day that will surely never be forgotten.

It was Friday April 29th, 2008, a date with seemingly little significance, unless of course you were one of the thousands of excited and anxious anglers such as myself driving down the 395 in search of that elusive Alpers trout that seem to haunt your dreams time and time again. To us die hard fisherman, Friday could only mean one thing…one day until the 2008 Eastern Sierra Trout Opener!

It had been a long, yet successful week working and running around servicing several of our many tackle shop accounts in the area. With work finally complete and the excitement of a free weekend, I had anxiously stayed up all night waiting for the rest of the ‘Lip RipperZ Posse’ (the ‘LRP’) to arrive in the morning so we could start fishing.

The crew had finally arrived and we quickly discussed the game plan for the day. We had decided to head straight to Intake II. We found a nice little spot along the shoreline and immediately hooked up into a small one pound rainbow trout with a ‘Snot Rocket’ colored LR (Lip RipperZ) Litl RipperZ jig burried into the side of its mouth. It was a fish here and a fish there, but nothing of size. Don’t get me wrong, catching small fish was fun, but not what we were here looking to do. We were in search of the big boys; the fish that make you want to call home to mama.

A few hours had passed with lots of fish landed (roughly one fish per every six or seven casts), but little to brag about. Right before switching spots, the first big boy had hit!! I set the hook and held on for dear life and an amazing ride on only two pound line. The fish went left, right, over his pole, under hers, this way, that way, and about 10 minutes later I had my first large trout landed in the our 2008 Eastern Sierra Opener. A beautiful 4.5 pound Alpers that had just hammmmmmered a ‘Poopy Doop’ colored LR Litl RipperZ jig! It had been a beautiful start to a beautiful day.

Shortly after, the bite was few and far between. After skipping from lake to lake, our last stop for the day would turn out to be Twin Lakes . A decision that would not only make our day, but ultimately make our lifetimes. The next couple hours would surely never be forgotten...

We pulled up into the lake and I was the first to cast, with a freshly tied red/gold ‘Siberian Tiger’ colored LR Z Spoon onto my line. With roughly five or six cranks and three twitches later, FISH ON!! All I could think of is “wow, this thing was huge!”. I fought the beast for several minutes (which seemed like hours) and yelled at the posse to get the net. Halfway through my sentence, Nick (member of the LRP) had also hooked up into a fish, and it was another monster! Two huge trout hooked in only a few minutes!! Moments later, Jason (also member of the LRP) quickly ran to my assistance and with little hesitation netted my massive 5 pound trout! With only a few passing minutes, Nick’s fish was ready to be brought in as well. In a familiar fashion, Jason had dragged up yet another huge Alpers into his net. This beauty weighing in excess of three and a half pounds.

What would happen next was absolutely unheard of. Alicia hooked up into an Alpers. Then Joseph. Then Me. Then Jason. Then Nick. All five members of the ‘LRP’ were hooked up with our drags screaming in every direction. A five way hookup on huge Alpers Trout?! Thats unhead of! One fish was landed, then another, then another. Less than fifteen minutes later myself and the rest of the ‘LRP’ had hooked and landed all five monster trout on just two pound line. It had been simply amazing! I was tossing an LR Z Spoon while the others were tossing LR Litl RipperZ and LR Trout Worms when the their fish bit, the preferred likings for trout that day.

Over the next two hours, we would proceed to catch and weigh in a total of 25 Alpers Trout weighing in at over 75 pounds to Ricks Sportscenter in Mammoth. And surprisingly that’s not even including the other 10+ Alpers that we had caught and released that very same day.

This was surely a proud day for the ‘Lip RipperZ Posse’. A day whose story will be told years on end. It was one of the finest days of fishing in the Sierras we had ever seen and were thankful to have been a part of it. This was the 2008 Eastern Sierra Opener. A truly remarkable day.

Team Lip RipperZ fish Counts:

Bryan Friedman LRP, Walnut, Ca (5 fish) 18.4 lbs
Jason Schumacher LRP, Chino, Ca (5 fish) 15.8 lbs
Alicia Schumacher LRP, Chino Hills, Ca (5 fish) 13.4 lbs
Nick Perez, LRP Hacienda Heights, Ca (5 fish) 14.5 lbs
Joseph Maldonado LRP, Walnut, Ca (5 fish) 13.2 lbs

Fisherman57
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
75lbs of Alpers! :shock: :udaman:

Very nice Bryan!
Congrats on a epic day! :thumb:

IncredibleHuck
04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Wow what did I miss out on!?!?!?! Dang that thing called work!!!

Great job out there buddy! Maybe in September or October we can make a trip up there for some season ending fun too!

It sounds like the Lip Ripperz Posse got to all of the big alpers for sure!

Sierra_Smitty
04-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Nice job bro, very nice job!!!!

one_leg
04-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Bryan, thanks for the report.

Last year I caught my first E. Sierra trout on a red/gold Z Spoon. It was a nice brown too.

I went on to catch a lot of fish with that spoon. Also caught em on the Siberian Tiger.

I lost a Sad Shad that T/O had given me my line wrapped around the tip of my rod at Irvine Lake...SNAP!!!

I lost the other one when I was fishing a stream solo w/o a net below Lake Sabrina.
I wish I had just let the 'bow shake itself loose instead of hoisting it out of the water.
I went back the next day and caught another for revenege with the Siberian Tiger.

I need some replacements now. Sad Shad to start. I got the Shad but I want the Sad Shad.

O_L

Lip Ripperz
04-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys! Id like to mention that none of the fish will be wasted. =-) Cant wait to smoke them!!

Tom_Fish
04-30-2008, 07:47 PM
Alpers monster jam wish I was there !

Seatech
04-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Bryan,

Great story. So glad to see how successful your company/products have become!!

I remember fishing your worms up there, and just whacking them, when you were first starting and having guys come up to me and ask me what I was fishing and where they could get them. Now I see the products in stores everywhere!!!

...and here is a throw back for you. I am fishing DVL on Friday and earlier packed up a few of the "discontinued" LipRipperZ bass plastics (I still have a few bags left!) and some of the older "discontinued" white with gold flake LipRipperZ worms.

Congrats again and hope to run into you one of these days!

Ed

Sparky70
05-01-2008, 12:50 AM
APRIL 29TH 2008 WAS ON A TUESDAY..........what gives AM I ginkey or what?:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lip Ripperz
05-01-2008, 02:27 AM
awww man. tuesday, friday...same thing. haha. Shoulda had you proof read it before I sent it out as a press release. hahahaah Thats funny though

Roostertail
05-01-2008, 11:42 AM
Wow, that truly was a remarkable day. In all my years of fishing, I've never caught an alpers. After reading your report my adrenaline is flowing. One of these days. There is hope.

billy b
05-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Mammoth not Bport ... right?

troutdog
05-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Unbelievable....what an amazing fishing adventure! I don't know if I can wait till early June to get up there. Thanks for the report....your spoons are amazing, deadly in the Kern River last summer.

TD

johnsfishing
05-01-2008, 04:02 PM
AWESOME!!Nice Report Bryan!! Big Trout! Good to hear that the Snot rockets were working.

johnsfishing

INDOANGLER2
05-01-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the great report and congrats on nailing Alpers. Makes me want to go real soon. Good luck with the business, looks like your really expanded.

Joshua
05-02-2008, 03:25 PM
I saw the posse out there at Intake II. You guys were passing out some swag. One of you had a nice quality fish as you were walking out.

Epic bite at Twin Lakes. Next year it will be wall to wall people out there. Nice video. Can you clean up the language please LOL :)

Lip Ripperz
05-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Yes, that was probably me walking back to the truck with that Intake II alpers. =-) Did you get a free pack of Lip RipperZ? We pretty much gave everyone a free pack on the way back to the truck, up until we ran out.

baybassboy
05-03-2008, 12:31 PM
hey bryan,

i was one of the guys in the green tubes that got to witness the madness first hand Sunday night... thanks for the free spoon... awesome job out there

and an additional thanks for letting my dad and i share in the fun and carefully casting around us...

you guys didnt miss anything Monday night... that windy front moved in and killed the evening bite... everything was going off between noon and 3... we showed up at 4 and only scratched a couple

Lip Ripperz
05-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Your very welcome for the spoon! and sorry about the Z spoon bombing around your float tube hahah.

Sundays fishing with you guys definately deserves a press release as well!! We all knocked em dead that day.