PDA

View Full Version : The highlight of my florida vacation

Granny Fish
04-29-2008, 10:05 PM
We had a blast in Florida with our oldest daughter and her husband. Mellisa was born into a fishing family that spent every vacation on roadtrips camping and fishing. Though she always enjoyed herself and always had fun carrying her fishing rod around, she never took much interest in fishing, and usually ate the velveta cheese before we could use it for bait.

In Orlando, we fished several city park lakes within 5 miles of Mellisa's house. Lake Underhill quickly became a favorite. City park lakes in Florida can be anything from a retention pond to a lake the size of Lake Perris. Lake Underhill is about the size of Irvine Lake and has a toll road overpass that divides it. There is a nice lanch ramp and the park is open till 11pm. Best of all it is public access... no admittance fee.

We caught 3 species of fish as well as turtles and a gator. Mellisa and her husband Tom seemed to really enjoy themselves. The highlight for me was watching Mellisa enjoy herself fishing. She had caught 4 bass before her husband baited up. More pictures to follow on a future report. This one stands on its own.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/cairnst/th_Mellisacatchesherfirstbass2008.jpg (http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/cairnst/?action=view&current=Mellisacatchesherfirstbass2008.flv)

howstar
04-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Nice video! I'm Glad that you guy's had a great time on your trip.

one_leg
04-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Tammy, did you eat it?...............................the gator, did you eat the gator?

What is the little yellow thing on the line above the lure/bait? A bobber?

Thanks for the videolog from Florida, it was totally cool. Got any more?

GhettoBasser
04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Lived in Jacksonville for two years. My wifes relatives lived 5 minutes from Underhill. Fun lake. There is so much "Bassy" water out there it's sick. Glad you had a great time.

Granny Fish
04-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Tammy, did you eat it?...............................the gator, did you eat the gator?

What is the little yellow thing on the line above the lure/bait? A bobber?

Thanks for the videolog from Florida, it was totally cool. Got any more?

Everything was carefully released to be caught another day except two bullhead catfish that we ate for a late snack that night. Tom & Mellisa never knew they could have so much fun fishing.

As for the yellow thing in the picture, that is a weighted bobber called a cajun thunder. They work really good for casting light lures or for fishing live bait without using a sinker. The market them for targeting redfish and speckled trout. It is said that the sound of the beads mimic the sound fo feeding shrimp or bait fish. The one in the picture is green but ours were yellow.

http://www.satackle.com/cajunthunder.jpg

one_leg
04-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks Grannyfish, I've never caught a redfish, but I have released pleanty of yellow speckled brown trout.

Sounds like you had loads of fun over there. Glad you had a good time. :D

GhettoBasser
04-30-2008, 04:01 PM
I fished the O' Boy Oberto Redfish tour while I was out there. Those things are called Poppin Corks and slay the trout.

Granny Fish
04-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks Grannyfish, I've never caught a redfish, but I have released pleanty of yellow speckled brown trout.

Sounds like you had loads of fun over there. Glad you had a good time. :D

Speckled Sea Trout are not really related to trout, but they kind of look like one.

one_leg
04-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Speckled Sea Trout are not really related to trout, but they kind of look like one.

I bet you ghetto dad has caught both Speckled Trout AND Redfish.
He lived in Florida for a while.

troutdog
04-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Welcome home....nice memory right there!

See you soon,

TD

SoCalGuy7
04-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Cool video, thanks for reporting..

SCG7

Wingnut
04-30-2008, 11:26 PM
That's cool! Thanks for sharing a part of your vacation. :mrgreen:

sansou
05-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Cool vid Grannyfish!Glad you enjoyed a little bit of St. Augustine....you need to post up some pics! See ya'll around!

Granny Fish
05-07-2008, 11:02 PM
I apologize that I haven't had time to post up a decent report on the trip, but it has been so hard to catch up on work being off for 10 days. Especially with taxes being finished, Entreprenuer of the Year awards coming up and vacations of other staff members. I have been so busy catching up at work.

We had a great time on this trip and I have a ton of pictures that I'm sorting through and so many experiences that I'm trying to sort out; however, nothing brought more enjoyment to me on this trip than to see my daughter and her husband catch fish that night at Lake Underhill. That was so much fun! Seeing Mellisa smile and how excited she got about catching that fish... makes me so happy.

Update:
I sent Mellisa a Pink Roddy, which she received yesterday.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41p3gSCAKaL._SS500_.jpg

The rod is all pink with led lights on the reel that light up when you reel in, and she was so excited to get it. Her and Tom (her husband) are going fishing this weekend at the Little Econolohackhee River, which is behind thier house. I'm hoping they catch something and send some pictures. ;)

This is my daughter who never took an interest in fishing.... this is reason to celebrate!

:banana::banana::banana:

troutdog
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I was looking for a reason to celebrate!;)

Knowing your child shares your same interests is very rewarding. I was sitting down with Lauren this evening having dinner and I mentioned we had not been fishing together in a couple of weeks and we needed to wet a line soon. Her response was just priceless....frustrated that had not fished recently she clenched her fists and looked towards the heavens and said "I cannot live without fishing!" My heart melted.

Talk to you soon,

TD

Granny Fish
05-08-2008, 08:33 AM
TD that comment is priceless! ;) Mellisa never really cared much about fishing when she was growing up, so it is especially meaningful to see her get so excited about getting a her own fishing rod.

Greg Madrigal
05-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Cool video there G-fish! That's pretty sweet that u guys caught a gator too! Did I miss the redfish tourney report??????

GM<> <

Troutman65
05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
Hey Granny and Grandpa Fish,

:cool: to see you had a good time fishing and visiting Florida.

:cool: Mellisa has embraced fishing with her Husband. I always say " A Family the fishes together Says together." ;)

See you and Mike for some pool games very soon:D.

Troutman65

steve092
05-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Cool.

Congrats to her.

Hog Caller
05-16-2008, 07:10 PM
Glad you had a great time GF.
The speckled Trout are actually Spotted Weakfish and are extremely tasty.
Got to catch a gator too....NOW THATS FLORIDA FISHING!

Granny Fish
05-16-2008, 10:38 PM
Glad you had a great time GF.
The speckled Trout are actually Spotted Weakfish and are extremely tasty.
Got to catch a gator too....NOW THATS FLORIDA FISHING!

Yeah, I don't know about all that... I didn't catch any of those... So I'll take your word for it. Next time I'm definately going to spend some more time fishing the Sabastian inlet. ;) For this trip however, I'm very pleased that my daughter who never liked fishing while growing up is turned on to fishing.

We also went deep sea fishing, later in the week.... even though she felt sea sick... and her husband was sick... she didn't catch any fish and didn't know what she was doing... she hung in there and fished until the boat started back in. Mellisa makes me proud that she stuck in there... she went out of her comfort zone to please me and was surprised to find that she enjoyed fishing after all. We should all be that sacraficial.
:Not Worthy:

She is now trying to talk her friends into getting fishing licence, so they can all go fishing.

Greg - sorry, no Redfish this time... but just wait till next year...