PDA

View Full Version : City of Long Beach 04/28/08

brianw
04-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi all.. been reading this forum for couple of months .. here is my first fishing report ..

decided to go fishing @ 9:40 .. call around to see if theres any boat going out today, Marina said they had a boat going out at 10, so i packed my stuff in 10 minutes and rushed there

im new in ocean sportfishing.. so i didnt really know what to expect and what to do, the deckhand helped me to setup and explained what to do .. they were very nice and polite, realli helpful too

i caught about 7 Sculpins, 3 shorts..
5 grouper , got to keep one, gave them to others
2 sanddeb , one jonny bass??? not sure what that is .. but the captain called it that ..

Really nice weather indeed, wind claim , nice and warm, would definitely go with city of long beach again, since i only live about 5mins away ..

mm.. i have one question.. how much should i tip the deckhand normally?
i gave them $5 yesterday, is that ok?

here comes the pics

http://i25.tinypic.com/2w6e42o.jpg

http://i28.tinypic.com/33df2ax.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com/2qki1zl.jpg

http://i25.tinypic.com/t8kkn4.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/345ngih.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/2ljkoja.jpg

excuse for my crappy english =)

jplee3
04-29-2008, 10:52 AM
Nice job! Nice fish! General rule of thumb for tipping is 15% of the price you paid to get on the boat. Of course, depending on if the crew worked hard and if the captain worked hard to put you on fish you can tip accordingly. I'd say, if the crew/capt worked hard and you didn't catch much, I'd still tip them pretty well. $5 seems a little low - you should also consider tipping the cook in the galley.

pyronut
04-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Hey there,

Great job out there. Sound like you picked a great day to get some of the great fish taco meat. What you tipped them is ok for a 1/2 day boat.

Pyronut

Ricky-Ray
04-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the boards Brian. Thanks for the report and great pics. A Johnny Bass is another type of rockfish.

To answer your question about how much to tip is usually a tricky question. Most people would say about 10-15% of the cost of the ticket. You can always tip more or less it's really up to you.

Best advice I can give you is tip them however much you think they deserve.

jplee3
04-29-2008, 11:19 AM
Hey there,

Great job out there. Sound like you picked a great day to get some of the great fish taco meat. What you tipped them is ok for a 1/2 day boat.

Pyronut

Ahhh, that's right - should be fine as a tip for a 1/2 day (since half days run around $30-40)

deanhall32
04-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Great report and welcome. You seem like a natural

vince champion
04-29-2008, 11:35 AM
good job brian. Youre suppose to tip them for every fish they fillet for you. 1 fish = 1 dollar. and 15% of your ticket cost.

one_leg
04-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Glad to see that you got out there and did it.

Nice fish too.

I'll be looking for you on the boats. Say hello if you see me.

One_Leg

Gmoney
04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
.......I'll be looking for you on the boats. Say hello if you see me.

O_L how will he know its you??? ;)

brian -
great first report - welcome to the boards.
deck hands and cooks get stiffed more often than not.....imho if you ever have a chance to take care of them you should do what you can. im not saying you need pay to the end of the world...but seeing a guy pay off $50 galley tab and stiffing the cook is brutal. yeah...i said something.
laters
G$
see ya out there

legacy1
04-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the report and many pictures! You did good for bieng new to it and your English was good too.

ghetto dad
04-29-2008, 08:17 PM
O_L how will he know its you??? ;)

brian -
great first report - welcome to the boards.
deck hands and cooks get stiffed more often than not.....imho if you ever have a chance to take care of them you should do what you can. im not saying you need pay to the end of the world...but seeing a guy pay off $50 galley tab and stiffing the cook is brutal. yeah...i said something.
laters
G$
see ya out there

lol.... u must be talking about those great tippers on the victory when i cooked G$...lame...

great first report brian!! great job!! as far as tipping goes, fish cleaning does not count towards "tip" that is a service, so generally, if you have fish cleaned, then tip an additional $5, thats cool brother....even if you dont catch anything, a 5 or a 10 is great....it all depends on the kind of service you get man...i worked on boats for YEARS.....also, you should also tip the same for the galley person too, as long as your food was edible and didnt make you "G $ and Ghetto Dad's morning adventure at LBSF before going to Pierpoint" (sorry, inside joke). Sounds like you had a great trip man...who worked the deck?? was it baron?? did andy run the boat? and who was in the galley?? ok man, thanks again for the report, and dont worry about your english, we are used to it with K3vin Kim.....later man...peace

GD

crappie stalker
04-30-2008, 08:27 AM
Good report and those were some nice fish..
English was fine.. Welcome to the salt world..
CS

DavidE
04-30-2008, 11:55 AM
Welcome to the boards Brian. Thanks for the report and great pics. A Johnny Bass is another type of rockfish.

To answer your question about how much to tip is usually a tricky question. Most people would say about 10-15% of the cost of the ticket. You can always tip more or less it's really up to you.

Best advice I can give you is tip them however much you think they deserve.

Couldn't say it any better ...

k3vin_kim
04-30-2008, 12:39 PM
not too shabby. I'll ask Ed Yoo for your # so we can fish sometime.

one_leg
04-30-2008, 04:08 PM
not too shabby. I'll ask Ed Yoo for your # so we can fish sometime.

Translation please............somebody...........anybody?

Originally Posted by Gmoney http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=181359#post181359)
O_L how will he know its you??? :wink:

I'll be the guy hopping along behind the guy who drove me there carrying my gear.

Originally Posted by ghetto dad http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?p=181423#post181423)
lol.... u must be talking about those great tippers on the victory when i cooked G$...lame..

:twisted:

JapanRon
04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi brianw,

Don't sell yourself short on the language skills. Nice report and great pics! On tips ... everyone is different ... patron and crew !!

Await your next report,

tsurikichi

JRod-Angler
05-01-2008, 12:47 AM
I always tip at least 20% of the galley tab to the cook. For the deckhands on busy days when I am getting my limits, like 25% of the ticket, plus the cost of fileting. Take care of them, because they do remember you and they tell you whats catching with what, and also they do hook you up on bait too. Check out the enterprise for the 3/4 day. I love that boat. Capt. Andy is a really cool capt.

brianw
05-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Thanks for everyone advice on tipping
would definitely follow the tipping rules =)
i am feeling bad now, i had a reali great day i should have tipped better i guess

but oh well , im going next week again i think =)

ghetto dad
05-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for everyone advice on tipping
would definitely follow the tipping rules =)
i am feeling bad now, i had a reali great day i should have tipped better i guess

but oh well , im going next week again i think =)

dont worry about it man...k3vins cheap too....lol.....all the replies above are great.....it all depends on your service man.....me personally, since a few guys posted about what they give....i usually give $20 ON TOP of fish cleaning and $20 ON TOP of the galley tab (when i can of course....i sometimes wont go fishing if i aint got enuf to tip)...plus, i ALWAYS give the JP back to the crew for a pass or two....youll find that the crew (me included, when i worked on the boats) remember the "good tippers" as opposed to the "stiffers"......some people have these delusion that deckhands and crew members make all kinds of money, which they dont.....they make VERY little compared to the hours they work...they arent even required to pay deckhands minimum wage, fyi......its a daily rate.....depending on the boat, it can be as low as $5 an hour for a 12 hour day....

Gmoney
05-01-2008, 04:32 PM
gd - well said
brian - there are NO RULES....just try to do what you can. these are just some guidelines that some of us follow, not golden rules.

laters
G$

Ifishtoolittle
05-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Nice Boccaccio!

outriderdeckhand
05-01-2008, 05:45 PM
thanks ghetto dad for putting it so well. Believe me the crew really appreciates and rembers the people who tip and the people who dont. I work on a boat and its nice when u get a good tip cuz tha t means that u earned your keep. thanks peace... see ya on the water

ghetto dad
05-01-2008, 07:09 PM
thanks ghetto dad for putting it so well. Believe me the crew really appreciates and rembers the people who tip and the people who dont. I work on a boat and its nice when u get a good tip cuz tha t means that u earned your keep. thanks peace... see ya on the water

no worries bro.....tell Jeff i said whats up......

GD

one_leg
05-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Tipping is very important. Tip real good.

dodgerfan
05-04-2008, 06:49 AM
hey my last trip at the end of the day we got in a wide open mackeral bite where all i had to do was drop my kroc and wait...no reeling necessary. i even started trying to rip my lure through the water to just see at least 4 macks trying to inhale the krocodile. anyways when i flopped a few on deck the deckhand asked if i wanted them and i said i would keep a few for some bait. anyways they ended filleting all my macs at 2 bucks a pop. now i understand how they knew i wanted my fish filleted cause they asked me at the beginning of the trip and i said yes to filleting my fish. but the deckhand as a fisherman should know that when i tell him i want the mack for bait that i dont want it filleted... i want some feedback for this cause i was a little pissed that they filleted my mack and i was left with no bait cause i gave my fillets to some other dude that had his mack filleted........

ghetto dad
05-04-2008, 08:49 AM
hey my last trip at the end of the day we got in a wide open mackeral bite where all i had to do was drop my kroc and wait...no reeling necessary. i even started trying to rip my lure through the water to just see at least 4 macks trying to inhale the krocodile. anyways when i flopped a few on deck the deckhand asked if i wanted them and i said i would keep a few for some bait. anyways they ended filleting all my macs at 2 bucks a pop. now i understand how they knew i wanted my fish filleted cause they asked me at the beginning of the trip and i said yes to filleting my fish. but the deckhand as a fisherman should know that when i tell him i want the mack for bait that i dont want it filleted... i want some feedback for this cause i was a little pissed that they filleted my mack and i was left with no bait cause i gave my fillets to some other dude that had his mack filleted........

dude, what boat were you on that they charged you $2.00 a fish????????????

Gmoney
05-04-2008, 01:46 PM

just a guess....but were all the deckhands and captain wearing Giants caps....hmmm just a thought:rofl:

G$

trollmiester
05-04-2008, 07:34 PM
I always tipped before i started fishing.Man you get great service. Also before i orderd food.But i did not get the fish cleaned because i would give them away when i get home,and the person liked the fish whole.If i know how much the dinner or lunch tab is at a restraunt i tip ahead of time also. They cant help you with exceptonal service after the food is served.You just get a surprise look like wow i di not know this guy was going to give me a good tip.

brianw
05-04-2008, 09:02 PM
I always tipped before i started fishing.Man you get great service. Also before i orderd food.But i did not get the fish cleaned because i would give them away when i get home,and the person liked the fish whole.If i know how much the dinner or lunch tab is at a restraunt i tip ahead of time also. They cant help you with exceptonal service after the food is served.You just get a surprise look like wow i di not know this guy was going to give me a good tip.

do i juz give them $5-10 before i even start fishing?
because i need them to do the setup for me =(

steve092
05-05-2008, 05:43 AM
Great job out there!

aerosnout
05-07-2008, 10:55 AM
What charter was this? thanks for posting nice pics