PDA

View Full Version : Coyote Lake Reservoir

etaggart
04-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Beautiful spot, but fishing's always been pretty slow for us there.

Hit the lake late in the morning (about 11:30am) and trolled most of the day from the dam to the bouys. Hit 2 trout about 1lb each both on the same medium sized green rapalla lure. Buddy hit 1 trout on a chartreus/silver lure. Nothing else seemed to attract the trout and they had done a plant the prior tuesday. All the action was prior to 2:30. Nothing after.

Float tube bass tournament going on the whole day - not sure how many got creamed by the wake-boarders. Fish were probably all scared by the loud music pumping throughout the lake.

Exited the lake about 4:30.

THROWBACK RANGER
04-28-2008, 11:21 AM
where is this lake at?

etaggart
04-28-2008, 11:46 AM
Located just east of Gilroy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coyote_Lake

I'm from Irvine, but was up visiting family in Gilroy and the Father-in-Law finds it really quick and easy to take the boat over for a few hours of fishing when we visit.

Not sure if this qualifies for a NorCal message board, but compared to Orange County, this IS Northern California :eek:

BakoBassin
04-28-2008, 12:04 PM
The guys in the tourney did so-so. 19 out of 39 guys brought in fish. Only one limit.

There are some BIG bass in that lake.

troutslayer05
04-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Is this the lake that you can see from the 101...or is it acctually in Gilroy?

etaggart
04-28-2008, 06:58 PM
Can't see it from the 101 - must exit Leavesely go east and wind your way up the hills and back to it. About 15 minutes from the 101.

FISHINGBEE
04-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Beautiful spot, but fishing's always been pretty slow for us there.

Hit the lake late in the morning (about 11:30am) and trolled most of the day from the dam to the bouys. Hit 2 trout about 1lb each both on the same medium sized green rapalla lure. Buddy hit 1 trout on a chartreus/silver lure. Nothing else seemed to attract the trout and they had done a plant the prior tuesday. All the action was prior to 2:30. Nothing after.

Float tube bass tournament going on the whole day - not sure how many got creamed by the wake-boarders. Fish were probably all scared by the loud music pumping throughout the lake.

Exited the lake about 4:30. Fished the lake believe it or not in the 80's ther was no trout stockings at the time and no boat launch. My Dad use to take me when i was a kid. Bass and Crappie where the attractions. Lots of crappie gosh this lake was loaded with them. Never here about crappie from coyote anymore. I believe the lake went dry at least one time. We would always fish the dam or the back of the lake in the heavy cover. I bet it all changed. What wake-boarders? Anderson, Uvas, Chesbro, all had great crappie fishing. As for trout Anderson and Uvas were the only lakes stocked with trout. My Dad caught a tagged bass from Coyote worth 5 bucks for info and return of tag.

FISHNBEE

sky
05-08-2008, 02:27 AM
Been to Coyote Lake a few times....

Lots of deer and bobcats... the water level really changes throughout
the year so I'd call before you head over.

It is much nicer to tube and kayak when the water level is low and
the boat launch is inaccessible.

Directions: In the town of Gilroy, off of U.S. Highway 101, exit onto Leavesley Road heading east for about two miles. Turn left onto New Avenue and drive for one-half mile. Turn right onto Roop Road. When the road forks, keep to the left. The right fork turns into Hot Springs Road. Turn left on Coyote Reservoir Road to the lake entrance.