PDA

View Full Version : Saturday at Crowley

Marley
04-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Sounds like the day had mixed results, depending on where you were...
It was my 24th opener, I am happy to say. I love it: it's all about fishing. Crowds don't bother me too much and just add to the excitement. Besides, I basically learned to fish at Santa Ana River Lakes and Irvine Lake and I'm lucky to have learned tactics that work on pressured fish.
Team Marley met for our annual get together Friday night. Mom was introduced to the festivities some 14 years ago and even scored a third-place finish in the adult's big fish contest several year ago. Now I couldn't keep here away if I tried. She rides up with me, while the two brothers and a nephew drive down from the Napa Valley. This year, brother Greg's fiance came with, making a happy six-person crew.
We always fish Crowley on Saturday morning. Always have. There's just something about the fish that come from the lake, whether it's the red meat, the full-finned fight, or what, the fish are tops.
We got close to our favorite spot, one if Marley's Secret Spots, and set up alongside a group that we have been fishing with for a number of years now. We only see them once a year on the last Saturday in April, but it's always nice to see them.
Nephew Daniel was the first to score, landing a nice 2-pound rainbow very shortly after the opening flare. The fish were in tight and hungry for worms. Those are my two favorite conditions and it wasn't long before I was on. My first was a fiesty one-pounder that we would end up baking for dinner that night.
My second fish had heft. It ran up and out, putting on a topwater show for all of us to see. Big shoulders meant big head shakes and big runs, and on the second run it busted off. My estimate was 5 to 6 pounds, our neighbors said 8. Whichever, it was a big fish.
We would go on to catch limits of rainbows of various strains, with 9 of our 30 fish over 2 pounds, 7 of those over 3. I released an additional 14 fish in what could only be described as a wide-open bite.
Our fish were caught very tight to the shoreline in about 7 feet of water (we were fishing from shore, not a boat.) They backed off about 20 feet and by 11:00 we had to cast 100 feet or more to get bit. We did not connect with the hardware, not that we didn't toss everyting we had. But we did catch a handful while retrieving worms on a missed bite.
Sunday is pot luck, but usually Convict or Lundy. This year it was Lundy, so after the tradional Sunday breakfast together, we headed north. If you've never seen it, Lundy is a nice lake. Located north of Lee Vining and 5 miles up a canyon road, it has holdover and wild fish, and the DFG plugs it full of planters before Fishmas Eve.
We set up next to a snow field near the dam and enjoyed each other's company while we fished for trout. It was a good thing that we enjoyed the morning, because the fishing wasn't as we usually found it. I did fine, bagging three rainbows to 4 pounds and one, 14" brown that was very thin from the cold of winter and which I released to grow a bit and fight another day.
To all good things must come an end, and so it was that 1:00 found us gathering at the parking lot for pictures, hugs and good-byes.
The crowds this year seemed a bit lighter, especially the number of boats. I'm sure that the mussel issue (and ensuing hassles) kept some off the water, as did the price of gas ($4.49 for regular in Lee Vining, $3.89 and up on the valley floor.)
With daytime temperatures near 75 and a very light breeze, coupled with an abundance of larger-than-typical trout, they missed a great opener.

chris
04-28-2008, 04:25 PM
great read and report thank you

Sierra_Smitty
04-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Great read as always my friend. Glad Crowley treated you well.

-smitty

ZenDragon
04-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanx for the report. I'll be up there on the 8th-11th. Glad you all had a great time! :thumb:

ryanerb
04-28-2008, 08:11 PM
great report ... wish there was pics!

Troutman65
04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Marley, I was waiting for your report from tthe opener. A very read and report. I have never been to an opener because of the large crowds and the COLD. I read a report that 7,500 and below was ice free.My kind of opener.

Are you planing on going to the FNN/ Team 57 Event June 19 - 22 ?
I hope I can get the time off from work to go and get some Sierra trout fishing in, being with my Team 57 brothers and sisters for a great Event.

Hope to see you at Irvine Lake again.

Troutman65

INDOANGLER2
04-28-2008, 11:21 PM
Great report thanks

Hunt4Fish
04-29-2008, 12:50 PM
We were at Crowley for the opener, fished the Layton Springs area in float tubes, our fish count for my son and I were 1-20", 2-18",2-16", 1-15", 4-10 to 12" and 1-12" Sacremento perch. We only kept the fish 16" and over. I was told when the weather is that good that the fishing isn't as good, ran into the DFG on shore and they said that things seemed to be slow everywhere on the lake. I did see full good stringers for some trollers though.
bigger fish came on inflated nightcrawlers with a power egg dragged on the bottom w/18" leader. Water temp was 45 degrees. Can't wait to go back!!!!!!! Tight lines HNT4FSH

Marley
05-01-2008, 06:09 PM
We were at Crowley for the opener, fished the Layton Springs area in float tubes, our fish count for my son and I were 1-20", 2-18",2-16", 1-15", 4-10 to 12" and 1-12" Sacremento perch. We only kept the fish 16" and over. I was told when the weather is that good that the fishing isn't as good, ran into the DFG on shore and they said that things seemed to be slow everywhere on the lake. I did see full good stringers for some trollers though.
bigger fish came on inflated nightcrawlers with a power egg dragged on the bottom w/18" leader. Water temp was 45 degrees. Can't wait to go back!!!!!!! Tight lines HNT4FSH

I would not personally add the egg, but I have found that a slow-trolled, blown-up half-crawler fished as described is absolutely deadly.
BTW, nice trout you guys caught! That's the only report I've seen so far on the perch. I was thinking that there would be some at the tables, what with the weather and all, but I didn't see a single one. Fun fish.

Hunt4Fish
05-02-2008, 08:32 AM
I wish I would of used the "naked" nightcrawler part of the time (amazing how time flies out there) but last year I caught a 19 inch cutthroat during the opener in the back of the Crooked Creek arm with the red power egg attached and couldn't shake the method to switch it up with that thought in my head. :) Red, white and green eggs w/ NC produced this year but the counts were definatly not high. I have a friend that was targeting the perch on Monday but haven't heard from him yet, will post with his info when he checks in.

HNT4FSH

troutdog
05-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Nice report Marley, congrats on what sounded like a great trip.

TD

Hunt4Fish
05-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Just heard from my friend and he did find the Sacremento Perch on the Monday of the opener, but he couldn't get em to bite. He said he saw hundreds off of Green Banks in 10 feet of water and they were suspended in 5feet of water. He was using mini jigs but didn't have any real small ones. He thinks that was the problem because he saw a fly fisherman getting them on midges.
PS: Great report at the start of this thread Marley, hope I didn't hijack your thread with my posts, This was actually my first postings, so wasn't to sure on how to report properly.
Take care, H4F

one_leg
05-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I meant to reply to this thread on the day it was posted but I must have shut down teh ol 'puter before I had a chance to.

Great report dude!!!

Thanks for the post.