PDA

View Full Version : CDM - First Hali from the Surf!

CoffeaRobusta
04-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Oh boy. It seemed like near perfect conditions for surf fishing. CDIP (http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=recent&sub=nowcast&xitem=spc) promised little sea and swell; NOAA weather promised little wind. The only thing that could have been better was the tide. So I went down to CDM in the early morn to beat the weekend crowds.

I got there and true enough, things looked great. The beach slope is shallow at CDM so I waded out to thigh high water thinking I needed to cast out far to reach the halis. The water was almost crystal clear and the first thing I knew a good-sized halibut takes off from the sand in front of me. I guess I didn't need to wade out far! So I keep casting out and working the beach. Within about 20 yards, I scare up nearly a 8 round rays. One of those even looked like a butterfly ray. There were a couple of pucker factor moments when some rays brushed against my leg. Also seen in the water were nice sized corbina, small smelt, another hali, and what looked like baby perch. I also stalked a thornback and managed one half-way decent underwater shot.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/AtomicWildBill/Fishing%20pics/CDM042608-003.jpg

I keep working the Cultiva....remembering my promise to use only lures until I catch a fish on my new rod. Finally I get down to the to the end of the sandy beach where the kelp and rocks begin....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/AtomicWildBill/Fishing%20pics/CDM042608-002.jpg

Taking a cue from wingnut, I climb on top of a rock and fan cast out. While doing this I see a the beautiful sight of a 2.5 foot leopard shark cruising the shallows. I was about to give up when my cultiva snags on something....I'm thinking "great, caught on some surf grass' but then it starts to shake. oh yeah....short little fight later and I land my first hali form the surf. Maybe 13 or 14 inches....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/AtomicWildBill/Fishing%20pics/CDM042608-001.jpg

I work the beach back to the start and see more corbina and a smooth hound in the water as well. All this watching the fish I notice that most seem to cruise parallel to the shoreline and yet we fish perpendicular to the shore. Some of this is out of necessity unless you want to stand in the surf. It seems that casting a little off to the side instead of straight out would keep us in the strike zone longer. the only problem when doing this is when the surf is big it seems to push the line in faster...I dunno just playing with ideas.

Anyway, great day to be out. Only other fish caught was a little sanddab out of the channel.

Santa Fe Eric
04-28-2008, 12:48 AM
Good Work:thumb:

fightfan
04-28-2008, 12:53 AM
i've always thought about fishing that the kelp and rocks area of corona del mar but never really sure if it's a good spot

do you know anything about that area? does anyone?

i'd like some more info on it please

jplee3
04-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Nice job! I caught a 19" hali closer to the jetty. Looks like you were at the south end of the beach? I didn't realize it was so shallow out there - I should venture out more.

CoffeaRobusta
04-28-2008, 06:08 AM
i've always thought about fishing that the kelp and rocks area of corona del mar but never really sure if it's a good spot

do you know anything about that area? does anyone?

i'd like some more info on it please

I don't know any thing about it either....except I see kayaks and boats fish the kelp from the ocean side, and spear fishermen hit it from below. You should be able to catch typical rock and kelp species like calicos. The only difficulty is access and dealing with all the kelp and rock snagging your gear. We used to fish the rocks and kelp all the time when I was up north in Sonoma.....we didn't have all the sandy beaches like in SoCal.

Wingnut
04-28-2008, 09:44 PM
Well done & congrats on your first of many Halibuts. :D Patience & persistence will get them in the long run. ;)

camrydad
04-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Congrats on the first. I'm still after mine, now that I've read this I totally need to get out tomorrow. Was going to hit Dana Pt again, but might hit CDM as well. Again congrats!!