PDA

View Full Version : Trout Opener- Crowley

copeyboy
04-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Man, what a crappy opener for us. My crew goes up there every year for this event and we always fish Crowley. We have always had good luck at this lake and were expecting more of the same this year.

So, we get there, launch, and head out to our usual opening spot. We were there for about an hour when my dad caught the first fish. It was a decent little stocker and we were hoping that it bode well for the rest of the trip. I was the next one up, catching a nice 1 1/2 - 2 lb. rainbow. I put it on the stringer, hoping to fill it up with others. I caught one more little one, then another member of our crew, Norm, caught the next one. My father-in-law caught his one and only rainbow at the end of our day and then we went in. These were all the fish we caught all frickin' day. It was slow all over the lake, from what we saw. There were not that many people bringing in major stringers of fish when we went in. It was pretty much the worst opener I've ever attended in the last 9 years. I hope others that went had much better luck than we did. Later.

ryanerb
04-27-2008, 09:19 PM
My uncle was up there, trolling, he had 11 one day, and 14 the other day. Sounds decent, better than you guys. Maybe trolling was the ticket? I wonder how the fly fisherman did.

Badfish2
04-27-2008, 09:33 PM
Wow that's definitely a bummer to drive 5 hours to catch 3 fish/:( Hopefully you all did better.. I've never been a fan of Crowley, I hate that lake

dooblehaul
04-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Man, that's a real bummer. At least you were in the sierras right? Hope you had a good time with the crew and I know you'll get 'em next time.

ryanerb
04-28-2008, 08:19 PM
Wow that's definitely a bummer to drive 5 hours to catch 3 fish/:( Hopefully you all did better.. I've never been a fan of Crowley, I hate that lake

I used to hate it too until I caught some fish. I still think its a hit / miss lake, you definitely can have a bad day if you don't figure out the tricks. But I know some fly fishers than can have 30-50 fish days!

copeyboy
04-28-2008, 08:45 PM
Yeah, and I've been going up there for the last 9 years and have had fantastic days each and every time (except for this one).

Badfish2
04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
I used to hate it too until I caught some fish. I still think its a hit / miss lake, you definitely can have a bad day if you don't figure out the tricks. But I know some fly fishers than can have 30-50 fish days!

Don't get me wrong, I've had 100+ fish days there with 1 Thomas Bouyant, but overall I don't understand why anyone would fish there with the caliber of lakes that are in the sierras. Crowley cost money to enter through the boat dock entrance. Why pay? There are 4000+ lakes within walking distance that are free and almost zero crowds and douchebags making waves with their boats. I am glad crowley is there, keeps people away from the other lakes.

INDOANGLER2
04-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Sorry about the tough day, but thats fishing. I think Crowley is great and has more potential than all other lakes put together. This lake has larger and stronger fighting fish, not to mention more browns and Lahonton cutthoats than any other lake in the Sierra's. To have a not so great day can happen on any lake that holds a lot of fish that have been in the lake for a long time or are natives, they are acclimated to the weather conditions and the moon phases. My fishing chart showed that the 24th was one of the weaker fishing days with the best feeding time being between 2:45 PM - 7:45 PM. I've been fishing the Sierras for over 30 years and I never fished Crowley until about 7 years ago. And now I am hooked. You did the right thing to go there for the opener, thanks for the report.

troutkiller562
05-04-2008, 12:54 PM
Sorry about the tough day, but thats fishing. I think Crowley is great and has more potential than all other lakes put together. This lake has larger and stronger fighting fish, not to mention more browns and Lahonton cutthoats than any other lake in the Sierra's. To have a not so great day can happen on any lake that holds a lot of fish that have been in the lake for a long time or are natives, they are acclimated to the weather conditions and the moon phases. My fishing chart showed that the 24th was one of the weaker fishing days with the best feeding time being between 2:45 PM - 7:45 PM. I've been fishing the Sierras for over 30 years and I never fished Crowley until about 7 years ago. And now I am hooked. You did the right thing to go there for the opener, thanks for the report.

hi... what kind of a fishing chart are you talking about and where can i get my hands on one thanks.... TK562

Badfish2
05-04-2008, 09:59 PM
DFG has the fish chart on their website, and if you google "Fishing moon phase chart" i'm sure something will pop up.

troutkiller562
05-04-2008, 11:06 PM
DFG has the fish chart on their website, and if you google "Fishing moon phase chart" i'm sure something will pop up.

Thanks for the info......tk562