PDA

View Full Version : Opener Report - South, Sabrina & Bishop Creek

Sierra_Smitty
04-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Well since I live here, I usually don't consider the trout opener to be a big deal and usually wait until everyone leaves to wet a line. Somehow though, I got caught up in the madness and there I was, fishing on opening day. I'm glad I did though.

First stop was Sabrina...we got there about 7:45am intending just to eat breakfast. There was probably 100 or so people out on the ice at that time and according to Rick & Patti at Sabrina Boat Landing the crowd hadn't really materialized yet. I walked out on the ice to get a few pictures and chat with some anglers and according to those I spoke with, fishing was very good. Worms and Thomas Bouyants seemed to be the ticket.....

Lake Sabrina just before the sun hit the ice...
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/lakesabrina4-26-08.jpg

Family Fishing...I love to see this!!!! The young girl was outfishing everyone!
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/familyonsabrina4-27-08.jpg

Another Lake Sabrina Picture
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/lakesabrina24-26-08.jpg

After breakfast we decided to fish South Lake.....we'd never ice fished before and it sounded like an adventure. We borrowed an auger from Rick over at Sabrina and off we went. The auger we borrowed was dull and it probably took 45 minutes to get through the 2ft thick ice. Luckily a lot of people had already limited out by the time we got out there at 9am so we just started fishing abandoned holes.

First fish was on a mini-jig and was caught by my brother. As with most of the fish caught, it was a typical stocker sized rainbow trout....although all the fish looked beautiful and were very healthy after being in the water since last year.

Evan's first ice-fishing trout...
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/icefish4-26-08.jpg

My brother lane was next to connect and he nailed a pan sized rainbow using a kastmaster. Overall though, fishing from the ice near the inlet area was a bit slow so I parted ways with my brothers and went out on my own in search of better spots.

I set up in boiler cove and tried jigs and powerworms for 1 fish in about an hour. I was getting a little frustrated with the ice fishing thing. Out of desperation I tied on a gold kastmaster and that was all she wrote......I was stylin after that. I caught and released at least a dozen fish over the next couple hours and missed so many bites I lost count. I was probably the worst ice fisherman out there but after a while I figured it out enough to keep up with most of the other folks out there.

My first fish on the Kastmaster

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/jaredbrooder4-26-08.jpg

Part of the reason I was out there was to document the ice fishing on opening day and get some pictures for my website....here are a few lunkers that were caught.

This fish weighed 4lbs 14oz
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/alpers4-26-084lbs14oz.jpg

This weighed 5lbs even on the digi
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/mikewilliamscanyoncountry5lbs4-26-0.jpg

I stopped at one more hole on my way back to my car and scored big-time....Alper that weighed in at 4lbs even. Getting that fish through the ice was a challenge but a fun, adrenaline filled experience! I decided that I like ice fishing!!!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/jaredalper24-26-08.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/sierrasmitty/jaredalper4-26-08.jpg

Other quick reports from the canyon.....

North Lake - About half of the lake is open water now and the fishing was very good on fish to 2lbs.

Middle Fork - OK fishing, nothing to write home about.

South Fork - My uncle caught and released aproximately 50 fish using a Natural Colored Powerworm....I take that to mean fishing was wide open if you were using the right thing.

Sabrina - Fishing was very good on pan sized rainbows. Big fish of the day was a Brown that weighed just over 2.5lbs....that would have made my day!!!!

Intake II - Fishing was reported to be steady....good but not on fire.

South Lake - Very good for those using the right baits. A total of 4 Alpers came through the ice.....smallest was 4lbs and the largest was 5lbs. Best Bait - Crawlers, Best Lure - Kastmaster, Jigs & Powerworms were absolutely killing it at the open water near the inlet.

Take Care
Smitty

chris
04-27-2008, 01:59 PM
awesome pics and congrats on the ice fishing it looks like a blast

deanhall32
04-27-2008, 03:09 PM
You guys are nuts..

JSAUCE818
04-27-2008, 03:55 PM
thanks for the reports and pics....any info on June Lake Loop? is there alot of snow? im headed out there next weekend...thanks...

diamondbear
04-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Smitty , you are way to cool to post and keep us informed of the bite , THANK YOU . GREAT PICS AND A EVEN GREATER REPORT . can't wait to get up there // db

Joshua
04-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Well since I live here, I usually don't consider the trout opener to be a big deal and usually wait until everyone leaves to wet a line. Somehow though, I got caught up in the madness and there I was, fishing on opening day. I'm glad I did though.

Take Care
Smitty
You are so busted., I am telling your boss that you were fishing.

I drove by the resort, but was running too late to stop in. Weak excuse. I will stop by next month

SoadTilt15
04-27-2008, 05:13 PM
cant wait! will be up there one week from today!

Troutman65
04-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Glad you could fish the opener. Thanks for the report and pics.

Hope to see you for the Team 57 Event up there soon.

Troutman65

johnsfishing
04-27-2008, 07:56 PM
nice post!! thanks,

johnsfishing

one_leg
04-27-2008, 08:02 PM
mkadaddy and I were gonna hit Sabrina and then stop by your place.
Too bad we didn't make it after. Looks like you guys had a ball.

Congrats to you all.

rotto84
04-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Enjoyed the report.

Hope to make it up in late May and throughout the the summer. This just gets me ready to go!

Thanks.

Badfish2
04-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Awesome report, It's good to have someone on the forums that lives up there so we can get some quick photos of the action. Thanks for doing that and posting up everything. Ice fishing seems pretty scetchy but I might have to try that.

jeff4321
04-28-2008, 12:55 PM
when do you think all the ice and snow will clear?

Ryguy
04-28-2008, 01:15 PM
good job out there those are some nice lookin fish.

Sierra_Smitty
04-28-2008, 01:53 PM
when do you think all the ice and snow will clear?

Very difficult to say for sure....the ice is thinning fast with the warm weather over the weekend but we're expecting another cold front to come through which may or may not refreeze some areas. My guess is that the will ice out sometime around Memorial Day weekend.

Ice fishing will probably be unsafe in most places by the end of the week if not earlier.

FISH_HUNTER
04-28-2008, 02:09 PM
THAT'S A GREAT REPORT SS!! THE LAST PIC. WITH YOU AND THE ALPERS, MAN THAT LOOKS SO WEIRD. I'M SO USED TO SEEING SOME THING CALLED WATER ALL AROUND THAT AREA!:lol:

Fisherman57
04-28-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for sharing Jared!....
Looks like a cold but FUN opener!. and that is one SWEET looking Alpers!

See ya in a few weeks!

JIMMY JAM
04-28-2008, 09:12 PM
SWEET !!!
Thanks for all of the pics. As they say... a picture's worth a thousand words right? Well, pictures tell alot more than you can put in a report. I cannot wait for my next trip to my beloved Eastern Sierras.
Tight lines to all who venture up there.

fullstringer
04-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey jsauce818,
I was out at June,Gull,Silver,on Sunday from shore and it was clear some snow on the ground, weather was nice fishing was slow but still caught a few for the pan.

fullstringer

gator1
04-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Those pics got me going..I can hardly wait to get back up there

longjawnsilver
04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
awesome report jared! i am very impressed that you not only got that toad, but got it throught the ice too!
did bryce get out there with you guys at all?
frank and i are planning on getting up there sometime soon...

Granny Fish
04-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Kewl report on ice fishing Jared. :cool:

BishopTrouter
04-29-2008, 08:13 PM
Very nice pictures. I'm yet to do ice fishing, hopefully i can get around to it next year b/c my next trip in two weeks is probably to late

Sierra_Smitty
04-29-2008, 08:19 PM
awesome report jared! i am very impressed that you not only got that toad, but got it throught the ice too!
did bryce get out there with you guys at all?
frank and i are planning on getting up there sometime soon...

Yup...the whole staff was out fishing on Saturday and everyone killed it. Lane & myself were the only ones to land Alpers though.

peace,
smitty

TroutOnly
04-30-2008, 07:23 AM
HEY SMITTY GET RID OF THAT ICE SO I CAN COME UP AND FISH,IVE GOT SOME DATES NEXT MONTH I'LL BE IN BISHOP WORKING SO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS,,,t/o