PDA

View Full Version : Opener 2008, Bishop

Joshua
04-27-2008, 10:30 AM
There were 3 in our crew this year. I was the only one that been to the opener before. Took off Early Friday morning. Stopped off in Lone Pine and started off the season at the Sand Trap. Nailed a few. On plastics or lures. Fish werent interested in bait. As usual, it started getting cramped at the sand trap, so we took off. Headed further up stream. Fished the area and caught enough to be us interested. I tried to put these guys onto fish, but they are both anglers and dont want to listen. I am the same way. They were confident in their ability to catch fish, so they dont need my input. Needless to say, I outfished both of them combined.
Drive thru Tuttle Creek to check for some planters. The creek was running low (very low) for this early in the year. Didnt see much, so we decided to get heading towards our final destination (Bishop Creek)
We made several stops along the way. I was as much a tour guide and I was the driver.
Got to camp at Four Jeffreys campground, Bishop South Fork. Got a spot along the creek. Had camp setup and went out scouting. Not much snow on the ground this year. I figured that meant the creeks would be loaded with fish. Drove to many of the better spots. Not too many fish to be found. It seemed to me like the creeks were stocked with half the amount of fish compared to other years.
Drove up and walked onto Sabrina. That is a trip for a guy from So Cal to be walking on ice.
Drove up to South Lake. South Lake has more snow and more ice than Sabrina

Saturday:
Get up to Intake II in the dark. I was surprised how light the crowds were. We got the exact spot we wanted. And the heavy crowd never showed up. Get things setup and poles in the water. The bite was slow and it was damn cold. Ice forming on the eyelets. Making casts and retrieving rather challenging. The heater I had brought wanted to take a dump on us. It was too cold to worry about much else. The other 2 guys went to sleep along the bank. I decided to get the heater to work. I am a HERO!!. Got the heater on. That saved us. My buddy, Billy, told me that is the coldest he has ever been.ANd he goes duck hunting.
While the guys slept I had a steady bite. About 1 every 15-20 minutes. Only farmed 2 fish. Only one pole was getting hit. (Orange powerbait). I woke up the sleepin dummies to tell them to move over to the heater. They were thankful for heat. I figured that once the sun came up the bite would pick up. I was wrong. Not much happening for the shore anglers. The tubers seemed to fairing much better than those stuck on the shore. I am guessing the fish slid to deeper water. Oh well. We left Intake II around 7 AM. No keepers. Nothing over 1-1 1/2 lb. Very disappointing. We normally get fewer big fish, or alot of small fish. But minimal small fish. Saw a few nicer fish being carried out. But I saw more empty stringers than big fish. I know I was doing better than most in my area, as they were asking me what I was using for bait, how far out, length of leader. All the normal BS.
Drove up to South Creek to have a look around. All the better spots were occupied. Found one hole that was open. Hit that up for 2 quik stockers.
Went to camp, had some breakfest. Packed up camp around 11AM. Went up to Convict Lake. Fished the East side for a little while. Lures were to the ticket. With the clear water fish could be spotted cruising. The one bad thing is that there is very little depth along the shoreline in this area. Needed to get out deep to get to the fish. I was cramped under trees making casting difficult. However, was I got out there I was nailing them. Thomas Bouyant and kastmaster were the ticket. I think anything would have worked.
We were done and heading home around 4 PM.

Not the most memorable trip as far as fishing in concerned. But I think I have introduced someone the the Sierras that will be returning on his own. That is why I bring new people. Billy was talking on the phone to his wife, on the drive home, telling her that they need to come camp at Convict. I told him this is the tip of the iceberg.
No fotos. I think I may be looking for a new spot for the opener. I may be done with Bishop. Seems like it doesnt get the quality of fish as some of the other areas?????

Joshua
04-27-2008, 08:52 PM
After getting some sleep and spending some time sweating here in the 90 degree heat, I have figured out why I didnt hook into and decent sized fish.
I BROUGHT MY F-ING NET THIS YEAR.
I am going to throw that thing away tomorrow. We all know that you only need a net when you let it at home

ryanerb
04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
After getting some sleep and spending some time sweating here in the 90 degree heat, I have figured out why I didnt hook into and decent sized fish.
I am going to throw that thing away tomorrow. We all know that you only need a net when you let it at home

Hahha, i didn't have my net this weekend, and lost a nice 2lb trout right at the boat as I tried to bring him in by pulling up on the line to hoist him in the boat. bad idea! lost him... where was that net! BTW, i was up at hume lake, we had a great time.

greeper
04-27-2008, 09:48 PM

It probably wasn't the net it was most likely the crappy Faider gear you were wearing...:lol::lol:

Maybe I'll see ya up there in May...

Badfish2
04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
thanks for the report.. looks like fishing is just "ok" right now.. things will get better when the water opens up.

chris
04-28-2008, 09:14 AM

taht's funny man. I'm leaving early mon. the 5th i might have to leave the net as well. Even with all the reports of it not being wide open i still can't sleep.Thanks for the report