PDA

View Full Version : crowley lake weekly fish report

fishfinder
05-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Crowley Lake Fishing Report for May 15, 2007

The cold front that moved through the
area last week has all but dissipated and we are in store for some epic days of
fishing and lots of sunshine in the forecast for this week. The surface temperature
on the water this week was around 53 degrees in the morning with the mid day water
temps climbing in to the high 50’s. This is a great temperature for the trout as
they are pulling harder than ever this year with lots of oxygen and a very strong
midge emergence equaling to the great fight these Crowley Lake fish are known for.
The key factor for still fishing Crowley right now is the diameter of your leader
material. I would suggest using 2-4 pound mono as your running line and then using
a 2 lb. fluorocarbon leader in order to get into a few more fish. The reason that
I say this is because the fish are very leader shy right now for the fact that the
lake is very clear. Remember, we have not had our first algae bloom of the season
which in turn makes the water a split pea shade of green. This is when you can beef
up your running line to 4-6 lb. test and start using a heavier leader material, but
until then you should be using very light line techniques in order to fool these
Crowley Lake footballs. Also, the Sacramento Perch have started to make a showing
this week. These little critters are slowly starting to move into the shallows to
prepare for their annual spawn. I would suggest fishing the west shore in Mcgee Bay
and also in the Green Banks area where the Upper Owens feeds into the lake. As far
as tackle is concerned all you need is an ultra light 2 pound outfit and some of our
Berkley Power Grubs tipped up with crappie nibbles and you will sack these puppies up
with ease. Come on into the shop and we will get you dialed in on what colors are
working here in the next few weeks. Now, for all you still fisherman out there here
is the skinny on what’s hot and what’s not! The area’s that have been producing some
nice fish this week are Alligator Point in 15-25 feet of water, Mcgee Bay in 15-20
feet of water, Big Hilton in 20-25 feet, and also Sandy Point in 20-25 feet of water.
The hot baits for this week have been the Berkley Power Eggs in Fl. Red, Yellow, and
Chartreuse. Also, yellow power bait, salmon eggs, and lime twist power bait have
also been producing some nice limits. As I mentioned a little earlier in the report,
you should be using a 2-4 pound running line with a 2 pound fluorocarbon leader
material if you would like to get into a few more numbers of fish. As far as the
trolling is concerned it has been another very consistent bite this week. I would
also have to say as a tip “The early bird get’s the worm!� This has been the key to
producing some of the bigger fish in the lake. The area’s that I would suggest
fishing this week would be the west shore of Mcgee Bay, Sandy Point to Green Banks,
Alligator Point to Chalk Cliffs, and stormy flats on the North side of Mcgee. I
would suggest trolling 3 ½ to 4 colors with lead core line. The hot lures for this
week are Owner Mira Shad in Shiner, Gold Shad, and Pink Passion. As far as needlefish
are concerned I would suggest throwing size #2 in the colors of pearl/bikini, metallic
perch, fire/whitestripe, and rainbow/whiteback. Also Rapala countdown cd-3’s have
also been producing some nice fish. I would suggest throwing the colors of gold/black,
silver/black, brown trout, and rainbow trout. Now, for all you fly flingers out
there here is the real fly fishing report. This week has been another phenomenal
week for numbers of fish being brought to the net. I have witnessed 50 plus fish
days on my boat as well as some of the other local guide’s sacking them up as well.
I would suggest fishing the areas of Mcgee Bay in 10-14 feet, Sandy Point in 12-16
feet, and Big Hilton in 10-16 feet of water. The hot flies that I would suggest this
week are size #16 Stevie’s Wonder’s in tan, gray/black, Stevie’s Z, and black/silver.
Also, I would suggest Sierra Drifter’s flies in size #16 and #18, zebra midges, olive
zebra’s and copper tiger’s. Also for fishing the pupa patterns I would suggest copper
or black crystal emergers as well as gillies in the afternoons. Also, try hanging an
agent orange or a punk perch as your point fly and see if this will not produce some
more grabs. I would suggest starting 6-12� off the bottom and then moving up in the
water column as the midge’s begin to emerge throughout the morning. Also, for
stripping I would suggest a Type 5 full sinking line in order to get your flies at
the right depth. I would suggest throwing Loeberg’s, Matuka’s, Punk Perch, and hale
bopp leaches in size #10 in order to stick a few of the bigger fish in the system.
Also, try throwing a hare’s ear 20� behind your point fly and see if this will not
catch you a few more fish.

Kalicos
05-16-2007, 11:10 AM
extremely informative. thanx for the great report.

ematulac
05-16-2007, 12:11 PM
Great report! I'm heading out there tonight and I can't wait! :D

Troutman65
05-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Nice report for a Raiders fan (JK) That was a awesome report man Keepem coming .

fishfinder
05-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Nice report for a Raiders fan (JK) That was a awesome report man Keepem coming that that.

the report is taken from this website. comes out every wednesday
http://www.crowleylakefishcamp.com/3_Rep.htm

Troutman65
05-16-2007, 03:24 PM
ok. I am A VIKINGS fan by the way

fishfinder
05-16-2007, 05:09 PM
ok. I am A VIKINGS fan by the way

didn't the riders beat the vikings in one of there 5 superbowl loses.
my dads a viking fan too. guess cause we were born there

Troutman65
05-16-2007, 05:58 PM
oh, are you the guy that said he moved here because of the Vikings in another post? Sports sec. Moss post?

fishfinder
05-16-2007, 09:04 PM
lol... ye that was me

Troutman65
05-16-2007, 09:10 PM
I thought it was you. Very cool. Hope to meet you at one of the summer FNN events. Go Vikings. LOL

MikeinSB
05-17-2007, 10:44 AM
...Browns this year, guys...

Troutman65
05-17-2007, 11:00 AM
The browns ? Now thats funny