PDA

View Full Version : Shark attack

FISHINGBEE
04-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Swimmer off Solana Beach dies to Shark Attack. Dr. Gabe Martin 66 from Solana Beach.
Shark said to be about 17 ft. long. NO identity of what kind of Shark as of yet. It has to be a white shark. Last person to die of a shark attack in SD county was in 1959 diver in La JOLLa Cove. Beaches will be closed from South of Solana beach to Del Mar. 72 hour beach closure. Monday will be soonest date. Unless they find the Shark from the air.

FISHNBEE

Tail Chaser
04-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Bummer about the Doc getting chomped.
Hopefully that shark is having a buffet with the seals.

newbefisher
04-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Damn that sucks...

Ronira
04-25-2008, 01:28 PM
Man that's a bummer, Any info on how far out he was.

deanhall32
04-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Swimmers were about 150 yards offshore at the time of the attack

DrewRanch
04-25-2008, 01:45 PM
The message on 976-tuna says he was 150 yards out

reckless_m@
04-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Looks like im not tubing those south OC boilers anyime soon!

FISHINGBEE
04-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Man that's a bummer, Any info on how far out he was.From what i know it was 150 yds out. Some swimming event. The Doc was in last place. Typical WHITE SHARK behavoir to strike from down below charge the surface. I say it is a White Shark.

Bet it made the others swim faster.

FISHNBEE

FISHINGBEE
04-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Swimmer off Solana Beach dies to Shark Attack. Dr. Gabe Martin 66 from Solana Beach.
Shark said to be about 17 ft. long. NO identity of what kind of Shark as of yet. It has to be a white shark. Last person to die of a shark attack in SD county was in 1959 diver in La JOLLa Cove. Beaches will be closed from South of Solana beach to Del Mar. 72 hour beach closure. Monday will be soonest date. Unless they find the Shark from the air.

FISHNBEE Ok here is the scoop His name is Dave not Gabe. He was a retired Veteranerian i guess that is still Dr.
Well he was injured from Thigh to Thigh and was wearing a black wet suit. Swimmers 20 yds ahead heard him yelling Shark. People could see him from shore could frailing his arms and screaming shark. Two swimmers swam out and brought him back to shore. The shark just attacked after tasting him let him go. The wet suit was torn on both legs. THey say he had probably bleed to death. Ocean scientists say it was a white shark between 12 and 17 ft long.

FISHNBEE

vince champion
04-25-2008, 05:40 PM
damm that sucks my condolences to his family and friends.

FisherManDingo
04-25-2008, 08:52 PM
I know its not nice to make jokes en-light of the death of someone, but doesn't that mean that the waters are getting warmer? When sharks come that close to shore, its because of the warmer waters....right? Geeezzzz...remind me not to dress up in my seal suit when I go fishing. That sucks, I feel bad for the family. Not a cool way to go, thats for sure.

CoffeaRobusta
04-25-2008, 09:53 PM
That's too bad about the dude, condolences to his family. But it's crazy because my Oceanography teacher was just talking about shark attacks the other day. Not too long ago great whites were spotted off Catalina.

Pretty thorough story on it right here.....
Great White Shark Attack Kills Triathlete off California Coast (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=ayt92W__sM9c&refer=us)

FISHINGBEE
04-25-2008, 11:02 PM
I know its not nice to make jokes en-light of the death of someone, but doesn't that mean that the waters are getting warmer? When sharks come that close to shore, its because of the warmer waters....right? Geeezzzz...remind me not to dress up in my seal suit when I go fishing. That sucks, I feel bad for the family. Not a cool way to go, thats for sure.Actually the white sharks prefer colder water. The California spot for white sharks is Up North Farllon islands about 30 miles sraight out the gate. More attacks happen from Monterey to Stenson Beach. I managed to see many White Sharks lived in San Jose till i was 15 and on rockcod trips whites would steal our rigs and lingcods. Salmon not so much different time of year. The big schools of whites hitting up Gaudalupe Island eating hooked yellowfin is drving skippers crazy. The large numbers of seals in the area has brought more sharks. I was on a five day trip several years back and a large number of white sharks were eating a dead stinky whale. That dead stinky whale was full of 50 Lb Big eye tuna and that was something to see. So the sharks could be looking for cooler water heading north towards SD.

FISHNBEE

Homeslice
04-25-2008, 11:09 PM
Actually the white sharks prefer colder water. The California spot for white sharks is Up North Farllon islands about 30 miles sraight out the gate. More attacks happen from Monterey to Stenson Beach. I managed to see many White Sharks lived in San Jose till i was 15 and on rockcod trips whites would steal our rigs and lingcods. Salmon not so much different time of year. The big schools of whites hitting up Gaudalupe Island eating hooked yellowfin is drving skippers crazy. The large numbers of seals in the area has brought more sharks. I was on a five day trip several years back and a large number of white sharks were eating a dead stinky whale. That dead stinky whale was full of 50 Lb Big eye tuna and that was something to see. So the sharks could be looking for cooler water heading north towards SD.

FISHNBEE

Cr@p and I'm moving to Monterey. No float tubing for me.

Oh and if they're moving north for cooler weather is there a way we can ask them to avoid NPH so i cant tube it on Sunday???

FISHINGBEE
04-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Cr@p and I'm moving to Monterey. No float tubing for me.

Oh and if they're moving north for cooler weather is there a way we can ask them to avoid NPH so i cant tube it on Sunday??? I am suprised Newport has not been hit up. The deep water so close . There is always a chance. Not practical but a chance. Monterey is beautiful you will love it there.

FISHNBEE

CoffeaRobusta
04-26-2008, 06:17 AM
When white sharks are down here it is usually to give birth.....

FISHINGBEE
04-30-2008, 10:34 AM
When white sharks are down here it is usually to give birth.....I doubt that no one really knoes where a white shark has its offspring. White Sharks generally hang out up north. The Farllon Islands researchers could not tell you much about there matting and where it happens. Some say it is down way down deep and etc. It is also believed the Whites are heading South for food reasons. The over population of Seals and the big Yellowfin Tuna at Gaudalupe Island. No one has ever seen a white give birth or no much about it. We cannot keep them in captivity so who really knows but GOD himself. Besides if they gave birth here i think we would see more whites in our waters.

FISHNBEE

BASS KING
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
man... those two guys have eggs to go back into the water to recover the doc. because i know i would be scared s***less.

BASS KING