PDA

View Full Version : TMI? Any thoughts?

Noobiesrule
04-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Hey everyone, I'm still fairly new to the board, but I thought I'd just bring this up to your attention. In my opinion, sometimes too much unnecessary information is being shared. Now, I love this board and have continued to get information ever since the beginning of the site, however IMO, some things need to be kept private. For example, (this is just one of the many) the thread about the Golden Trout that recently got closed had over 16,000 views. Now I understand that not all of these were 16,000 individual people, but that's still a lot of people. Now, i can almost guarantee that 75% of the people that read that report had no idea about the fishing at Mt. Whitney. My friends and I are very concerned about the fishery in the future. Now I'm not trying to directly bash the poster of this thread, however I feel that this kind of information is ok to be shared only via PM.

I'm not trying to start a flaming war, I just want other people's opinions. This site has TONS of traffic and has great information for thousands of anglers, but some things should only be limited to active members. Thanks!

mii
04-24-2008, 08:24 PM
i can not agree more with this. honestly, to much info gets around and thats largely why i posted reports for socal and usually keep my other areas of fishing to myself. if the lake is stoked you will know about it but if its not it wont show up in the report.

aboos
04-25-2008, 12:53 AM
see..the reason why i left the post up was because that place is HARD as hell to get to. yes, i understand that giving away too much info can harm the fisheries..but really..the people that harm the fisheries..the poachers..lurkers..whatever...i hardly doubt that they are wlling to go through the trouble to get to those fish. maybe 1 out of every 30 of them. and the people that are willing to go through the trouble..they are probably the people that respect fishing, nature, etc. people that fish for the enjoyment of fishing.

why should it even be a secret? it would be different if you could just drive right up to the lake..but no. to get there it takes months of training, permits, physical and mental fitness, knowledge of the outdoors...on and on.

im sorry, im just a lil frustrated (not with this thread, but alot of threads and comments, this is just the thread that i decided to go off on). i dont even know if half the stuff i said makes sense or if i contradicted myself.

mii
04-25-2008, 01:19 AM
dude its chill but still, i have locations for browns and brookies up there but i still do not let anyone know about it other than the ppl i take there. regardless of how hard it is to get there people now know and word spreads. im not bashing you but letting you know. hell man i dont even put anything up about the fishing down here in socal much any more. just to much info is put out by message boards i honestly think it is begining to make fishing tougher. like if the wsb or yellows bite of la jolla it gets put online, lasts for two days then its a parking lot. its getting tougher and tougher everywhere.

sansou
04-25-2008, 01:59 AM
$1200 and 7 days of camping & horseriding and you can fish Whitney (among many other lakes along the way) for them goldens, courtesy of one of many outfitters out of Bishop.

You can also customize the trip and make a beeline straight to one of the 14,000 foot lakes in 3 days or so. Google it up, it's not hard. Took me a whopping 15 seconds.

The point I am making is that it is reasonably accessible for those who take the time & effort to do it. Why not post your accomplishment and share the knowledge?

mii
04-25-2008, 09:08 AM
because people that dont already know about it dont deserve to know about it. seriously dude you learn about an area the more you visit and fish it. thats how you earn the locations that stand out from others. seriously, if you found ever single secret spot of your from the internet would it be very rewarding? no it wouldnt be. i have worked hard for the sports i have up in the sierras and im not about to give away the locations i fish to someone on the internet.

you can find anything on the internet. its just a matter of how hard you look for it. the difference between the info you found and what is available on this site now is how large the fish get in certain lakes and exactly what lake holds big fish.

chris
04-25-2008, 11:35 AM
see..the reason why i left the post up was because that place is HARD as hell to get to. yes, i understand that giving away too much info can harm the fisheries..but really..the people that harm the fisheries..the poachers..lurkers..whatever...i hardly doubt that they are wlling to go through the trouble to get to those fish. maybe 1 out of every 30 of them. and the people that are willing to go through the trouble..they are probably the people that respect fishing, nature, etc. people that fish for the enjoyment of fishing.

why should it even be a secret? it would be different if you could just drive right up to the lake..but no. to get there it takes months of training, permits, physical and mental fitness, knowledge of the outdoors...on and on.

im sorry, im just a lil frustrated (not with this thread, but alot of threads and comments, this is just the thread that i decided to go off on). i dont even know if half the stuff i said makes sense or if i contradicted myself.

I thank you for the report and pictures and i feel it's reports like yours that make this a great sight! I would like to see pics or reports from more people fishing this area i bet less then 20 people who saw this report entered the lottery for passes to hike up there and less actually received them, i missed the feb. lottery entry, did you?
anyways have a great season aboos

mii
04-25-2008, 05:29 PM
im not bashing him at all ill state that now but honestly, why would you guys want to see this info up here? do you want all the untapped locations to be put out there for people? seriously, its not a smart move. how would you guys feel if this were that one spot you found and knew no one fished and then all of a sudden it pops up on the internet? i dunno about you but i would be pissed. then again, im a selfish prick right?

vanillagurilla
04-25-2008, 07:28 PM
well for the rest of the 301million people in the united states suposed to do? what are the odds of me, resident of so cal, stumbling upon this lake? its a nice lake with nice fish but ill probly never in my life be able to get up there and fish it. out of the 16k views on his thread, wich everyone appreciates, would be willing to back pack 3 days to fish? i could drive to the owens river in 6 hrs and fish the most fish concintrated waters of califonia.

chris
04-26-2008, 12:11 AM
im not bashing him at all ill state that now but honestly, why would you guys want to see this info up here? do you want all the untapped locations to be put out there for people? seriously, its not a smart move. how would you guys feel if this were that one spot you found and knew no one fished and then all of a sudden it pops up on the internet? i dunno about you but i would be pissed. then again, im a selfish prick right?

if no one shared info the sight wouldn't be worth anything

chris
04-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Hey everyone, I'm still fairly new to the board, but I thought I'd just bring this up to your attention. In my opinion, sometimes too much unnecessary information is being shared. Now, I love this board and have continued to get information ever since the beginning of the site, however IMO, some things need to be kept private. For example, (this is just one of the many) the thread about the Golden Trout that recently got closed had over 16,000 views. Now I understand that not all of these were 16,000 individual people, but that's still a lot of people. Now, i can almost guarantee that 75% of the people that read that report had no idea about the fishing at Mt. Whitney. My friends and I are very concerned about the fishery in the future. Now I'm not trying to directly bash the poster of this thread, however I feel that this kind of information is ok to be shared only via PM.

I'm not trying to start a flaming war, I just want other people's opinions. This site has TONS of traffic and has great information for thousands of anglers, but some things should only be limited to active members. Thanks!

are you an active member?

mii
04-26-2008, 09:23 AM
are you an active member?

honestly, who cares. apparently he shows more concern than you do and thats all that matters.

chris
04-27-2008, 08:57 AM
honestly, who cares. apparently he shows more concern than you do and thats all that matters.

concern that no one fishes his spot is all it sounds like to me. do you really think someone is going to hike all the way up that mountain to poach goldens? I don't there's room in the packs to come back down the mountain with a golden let alone alot of goldens.
mii I understand that you think 17000 people saw that post and loaded up the 4x4 to drive to the side of this lake to poach goldens. They only let so many people up the mountain a year. People who get to go are the people willing to thousands or boy scouts or hard core mountain climbers. Not everyone who hikes whitney fishes.
showing concern and whining about fishing spots on open forum are two different things.

Where was all the concern during the blake jones tournament when money hungry tournament fishers kept 12 ounce browns to weigh in for blind boogey's 100$ prize?

mii
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
Im not so worried about people poaching to population but the lake no longer receives stocking from the DFG. Being that this lake is such a long way in, many people will decide to keep them in order to eat. Also, many of these high elevation lakes such as this are fed by snow and springs. This also means there is no inlet stream. Without an inlet stream for these fish to spawn, spawning may not occur. This means that the fish in the lake are the only fish there. So as soon as all those fish are gone there is nothing left.

chris
04-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Im not so worried about people poaching to population but the lake no longer receives stocking from the DFG. Being that this lake is such a long way in, many people will decide to keep them in order to eat. Also, many of these high elevation lakes such as this are fed by snow and springs. This also means there is no inlet stream. Without an inlet stream for these fish to spawn, spawning may not occur. This means that the fish in the lake are the only fish there. So as soon as all those fish are gone there is nothing left.

i know i know the fish need our help to reproduce. i read many adventures up there and people are hiking in 30 pound packs and no poles usually. it is a strenous hike

mii
04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
i know i know the fish need our help to reproduce. i read many adventures up there and people are hiking in 30 pound packs and no poles usually. it is a strenous hike

ya a lot of people dont fish it but still, i dont like the masses even knowing about places like that.

big_mike_70
04-30-2008, 04:38 PM
dont they regulate the amount of persons getting up into the NICEST parts of the seirras with WILDERNESS PASS...

last i check after a certain point you need one and if not BIG TICKET !!!

that would prevent areas from being ran over with OVER FISHING !!!

troutslayer05
05-01-2008, 07:33 AM
Whats this site for then if not to share our fishing adventures with everyone else so FELLOW FISHERMEN can enjoy it as well.

rusty6
05-01-2008, 01:02 PM
mii, relax about the tmi...those are some tough lakes to get to. when i post my pack reports i always share lake names because i WANT people to enjoy the beautiful areas that i have been and catch some of the fiish that i caught...garunteed that only a handfull of people from that 16,000 views will even consider trying to hike to those lakes.

one_leg
05-01-2008, 01:11 PM
dude its chill but still, i have locations for browns and brookies up there but i still do not let anyone know about it other than the ppl i take there. regardless of how hard it is to get there people now know and word spreads. im not bashing you but letting you know. hell man i dont even put anything up about the fishing down here in socal much any more. just to much info is put out by message boards i honestly think it is begining to make fishing tougher. like if the wsb or yellows bite of la jolla it gets put online, lasts for two days then its a parking lot. its getting tougher and tougher everywhere.

Matt's right on this one guys.

Noobiesrule
05-01-2008, 09:01 PM
Ok guys I'm not just talking about that specific lake, that was just one example I could think of because it was the most recent.