PDA

View Full Version : a boat and the wife.

novel44
04-24-2008, 02:59 PM
All right guys. I finally broke down the wife to let me buy a boat. I have no clue about them and really don't have too much money to spend so i was looking at new boats from basspro err or i should say the wife and i were looking at the catalog. Anyways. She wants something for the family. So here is what she thinks I should get or something like it:

http://media.trackermarinegroup.com/suntracker/images/STFB21F0208TM6x4_PB_08_700.jpg

Any thoughts and/or advice would be appreciated.

one_leg
04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
I think you should adopt me, that is what I think!!!

That would be a nice playtoy for the group outings, although it would not make for a very efficient serious bass hunting conveyance. You will probably have lots of friends that will want to come along with you too. Tell them to buy the bass boat and you can take turns zooming off to find the bruisers hidden amongst the shoreline while the family chills and grills. Make sure to get a bar-b-que and XM radio.

Personally, I'd like to have both. :cool:

aboos
04-24-2008, 05:09 PM
seems like more of a pleasure boat..like OL said, not a very hardcore fishing boat. i guess its in the middle between pleasure and fishing.

how big is that thing? 21..22 feet? drawback from towing a boat like that is how high it sits on the trailer..might be harder to tow? but def a nice cruiser.

Sparky70
04-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Ya can't go wrong with a pontoon boat, but, get 1 big enough for about 12 people. I just sold a 27ft. pontoon with a 150 merc on it, it had a 17 person capacity....We did have fun on it though. Pontoons are slow things, even with a 150 hp merc it only went 30 mph...make sure if U buy a pontoon it has at least 100 hp or you won't be happy with it. I just bought a 21ft. Larson with a 250 hp merc I/O that cruises at 53 mph.
Ask around for different opinions, then make up your mind.
Good Luck,

SP70 :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sparky70
04-24-2008, 05:37 PM
Novel44,
You can't go wrong with a pontoon boat if you have a family. They are also a good fishing platform for all the kids and FRIENDS that you will aquier after buying one. I owned a 27ft. pontoon for several years, we fished off of it, pulled playtoys with it. Don't worry about towing it, mine towed the same as my 19ft cuddy........I towed mine with a F-150 V-6 pikemup.
Make sure if you buy a pontoon you have an engine big enough to make you happy, they are slow things, mine had a 150hp. merc and did only 30 mph at top end.
I just bought a 21ft. Larson with a 250 hp merc I/O, it crusises at 53mph with 10 people aboard.
Good luck on your new boat.

SP70 :D :D :D

Sparky70
04-24-2008, 05:39 PM
OMG 2 posts, thought the 1st one didn't go through..........:rofl: :rofl:

bruce watson
04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Start your boat search in your garage. Measure it. Nothing makes a boat grow old in a hurry like being out in the sun 24/7. Your garage should be about 21 or 22 feet deep. While looking for a boat, keep in mind the lenght from the prop to the hitch. For a fun family boat, think pontoon. Stay small on the motor, 40 to 50 horse. Gas is not getting cheaper and neither is insurance. You won't be picking up skiers but you can still fish or swim in the lakes and bays.

MarkyMark
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
You know MY WIFE wants to buy me to buy a pontoon also. I dunno.. they look clunky and awkward to me.

Good luck and enjoy whatever you buy

MM

eldo69
04-24-2008, 08:20 PM
id aim towards a fish/ski boat

novel44
04-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the reply guys. I though about storage in the garage but i don't think anything I get is going to fit. The one in the pic is 21'. I was thinking of getting some type of cover in the front yard that i can park it under. Of course with the wife I'm limited to what I can get. I want a bass boat but have to keep the family happy too.
we'll see making the drive to the bass pro shop on Sunday. (thank god for financing)

paDDy
04-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Why not a real fishing/ family boat, Buy mine!
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/bagged71/boats048.jpg
Lots of room for toys, have a ski tower to tow a tub or ski
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/bagged71/boats0522.jpg
Lots of power to get to the fishing spot, or play all day with a 60 gal tank and aux fuel tank built in.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h176/bagged71/boats049.jpg

Tail Chaser
04-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Have to be careful of buying what the wife wants.
Ive heard the horror stories of.
The wife doesn't want to go anymore.
The kids have other interest.
They would probably want a fairly fast boat also.

Now your stuck with something that doesn't suite your purpose.
You could always rent a pontoon for family vacations.

A nice size walk around or center console fishing boat rigged for pulling water skiers.
You need to brainwash the kids.
Show them pics of fishing boats catching air and hauling *** across the water

Or at least look at a fish and ski type boat.

Sandman
04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
rent a boat with the family a few times before buying. make sure you get what you want and that your family will enjoy boating.

Cap'n Ron
04-29-2008, 03:53 PM
Buy the boat YOU think is best suited for YOUR purposes and then sell that idea to the wife.

The kids might get tired of it. The wife may get tired of it. Then it's you and your buds or just you out on the water,,,woooohooo

Gas? Get ready for the 5.00 hit. And then some.

Your title would have been better as,,

A boat, or a wife!!!!!!!!!!!

Choose wisely and the wife and kids will love it.
Choose poorly and get ready to watch it sit.

Sue
04-29-2008, 04:16 PM
If I were your wife, I would let you buy any boat you choose ;) But then, you'd have to take me fishing on it.

one_leg
04-29-2008, 05:57 PM
OMG 2 posts, thought the 1st one didn't go through..........:rofl: :rofl:

You can delete the one you don't want up there.

GeordyBass
04-29-2008, 08:15 PM
looks like a great boat!I was seein them at BPS and i think that toon' costs like $16,000 w/out the motor,,,maybe $27,000 financed w/motor and accessories!

GeordyBass
04-29-2008, 08:16 PM
Have to be careful of buying what the wife wants.
Ive heard the horror stories of.
The wife doesn't want to go anymore.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ghetto dad
04-29-2008, 08:44 PM
They have some SICK ones at BPS!!!!! Pontoons are awesome, especially for families and partiers....lol

ghetto dad
04-29-2008, 08:45 PM
If I were your wife, I would let you buy any boat you choose ;) But then, you'd have to take me fishing on it.

Sues hot too.......:)

fishfinder
04-30-2008, 05:28 AM
go for the tahoe fish and ski. get the 3.0 and same some money on gas. the kids will love getting pulled on the tube or some skiis. i have a fish and ski and the family loves it, but most of the times it's just me and my fishing buddies, so we fold the front deck down, and put the trolling motor down and i got a bass boat.

Badfish2
04-30-2008, 05:48 AM
any boat is a good boat...