PDA

View Full Version : Best achor?

vince champion
04-24-2008, 01:24 PM
I recently have this achor and was wondering which achor do you guys use? This achor never holds me in place. It will be achored for 15 20 mins and when a strong gust of wind comes it pulls us right out. So My question is what achor do you guys use and why?
http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/71500/71958.jpg

I am looking for a achor that can hold my 21 footer striper in place with strong winds. Thanks.

Wildhorse1966
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
I recently have this achor and was wondering which achor do you guys use? This achor never holds me in place. It will be achored for 15 20 mins and when a strong gust of wind comes it pulls us right out. So My question is what achor do you guys use and why?
http://image.basspro.com/images/images2/71500/71958.jpg

I am looking for a achor that can hold my 21 footer striper in place with strong winds. Thanks.

how much chain and how much rope do you have????

Brian_GSC
04-24-2008, 01:49 PM
What are you anchoring in (sand, mud, rock, etc)?
How heavy is your anchor?
How much chain do you have on the anchor line?
How much scope are you letting out?

one_leg
04-24-2008, 01:55 PM
That's a good anchor if you are using it properly.

Check out this little bit of info on anchoring.

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/safety/7_4.php

Brian_GSC
04-24-2008, 02:10 PM
That's a good anchor if you are using it properly.

Check out this little bit of info on anchoring.

http://www.boatingbasicsonline.com/course/safety/7_4.php

Good info O_L

Cangler
04-24-2008, 02:25 PM
That's a plough anchor .. you need at least your boat length X2 of chain for it to hold.

one_leg
04-24-2008, 02:29 PM
That is a Danforth, not a plow. See the link I posted for proper anchoring techniques.

vince champion
04-24-2008, 02:33 PM
good info one_leg. this anchor was used on my 18.5 bass boat. I used it at perris castaic and pyramid. At pyramid for some reason i could never get a good anchor. It seems the deeper the water the harder it is to get anchored. I could never feel the bottom of the floor cause it is so deep. i have over 150ft of rope.

So if i am having trouble with this anchor on my 18 foot bass boat should i just upgrade to heavier anchor for my 21 footer which is going to be for the ocean. (horrible winds and swells)
Also get more line?

Maybe i am just doing it wrong and not letting enough line out. Like what the "link" says, i have to times whatever depth im fishing in by 5 to 8. I will try that before i buy a new anchor i guess.

Thanks for your help.

one_leg
04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I cannot tell from the picture how large your present anchor is.
It needs to be appropriately sized for your vessel of course.
It helps to have a section of chain leading from the anchor to your anchor line.
But some boaters prefer to forego the chain to prevent damage to their hulls and gear.
The chain acts like a shock absorber as it raises and lowers off the bottom instead of pulling tight and dislodging the anchor. The weight of the chain keeps most of it laying on the bottom except when the swell causes some of it to rise up off the bottom. This lets the boat ride smoothly on the swells or waves. It needs to be of sufficient length to do it's job properly.

Cangler
04-24-2008, 03:13 PM
That is a Danforth, not a plow. See the link I posted for proper anchoring techniques.

I stand corrected .. teach me for taking quick peaks at work !

Wildhorse1966
04-24-2008, 03:52 PM
good info one_leg. this anchor was used on my 18.5 bass boat. I used it at perris castaic and pyramid. At pyramid for some reason i could never get a good anchor. It seems the deeper the water the harder it is to get anchored. I could never feel the bottom of the floor cause it is so deep. i have over 150ft of rope.

So if i am having trouble with this anchor on my 18 foot bass boat should i just upgrade to heavier anchor for my 21 footer which is going to be for the ocean. (horrible winds and swells)
Also get more line?

Maybe i am just doing it wrong and not letting enough line out. Like what the "link" says, i have to times whatever depth im fishing in by 5 to 8. I will try that before i buy a new anchor i guess.

Thanks for your help.

if your only running rope then that is your problem ... put 21-25 feet of chain on it and the rest rope ... 150 ft is plenty of rope the chain will make your anchor stay down and hold .. good luck

Tail Chaser
04-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Them Danforth like you have are bit hard to set. I used one for four years.

You need to drop anchor.
Then back up slowly till it digs in.

The boat will stop when it finally bites.
Then just give the boat some throttle to make sure its holding.

Chain length should be min of the length of your boat.

I just went to a claw anchor (Bruce)
There suppose to dig in very fast.
They hold good with less scope. Good for fishing.
I just did the research.
May need a bow roller to use though

The Danforth lays flat.
Good for storage/backup if you have room

pukahd
04-24-2008, 08:48 PM
I have a 22' Cabo and use a 11 lb Claw or Bruce Anchor. The claw is the same design but much cheaper. These tiny anchors with only 20' of chain will stick your boat. It holds so good I lost 4 anchors.......

The main point is to use as much chain as possible atleast the length of your boat. Just a anchor alone will not hold.

The more tension put on the lines the deeper it holds.
Brian

Tail Chaser
04-24-2008, 10:54 PM
I have a 22' Cabo and use a 11 lb Claw or Bruce Anchor. The claw is the same design but much cheaper. These tiny anchors with only 20' of chain will stick your boat. It holds so good I lost 4 anchors.......

The main point is to use as much chain as possible atleast the length of your boat. Just a anchor alone will not hold.

The more tension put on the lines the deeper it holds.
Brian

Eeeeeeeeee..............Yikes

I just bought a 22lber The Lemar was a low priced Claw

Carnivore
04-25-2008, 01:49 AM
16 lbs Lemar rigged to save the anchor if it gets stuck. This with 25' of chain keeps it held anywhere. On lakes I would just add at least 18' of chain to your rig and it should work better but I hate those danforth style anchors.

pukahd
04-25-2008, 08:18 AM
16 lbs Lemar rigged to save the anchor if it gets stuck. This with 25' of chain keeps it held anywhere. On lakes I would just add at least 18' of chain to your rig and it should work better but I hate those danforth style anchors.

Just as Carnivore is using, I also have my anchor set up to breakaway in case it gets stuck.

The problem is that all 4 times I lost my anchor it was in local waters near a lot of structure, I locked the upper chain because when I was at Cat I didnt want the anchor to trip loose while overniting. Never had a anchor stuck at Cat yet.

Brian

DrewRanch
04-25-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm also running a 16.5 lb Claw on my 23' Parker with about 30' of chain and 250' of rope.

I've never had a problem.

Just let out ALOT of rope. If I'm anchoring 40' for the night, I'll let out an easy 100'-120' of rope.

vince champion
04-25-2008, 05:41 PM
On my anchor i have about 5 feet of chain and the rest rope. I guess that is my problem. I will purchase more chain next time i get out. Thanks for all your help.

vc