PDA

View Full Version : Shakey Head for trout ?

Loye
04-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Hey Ive been recently turned on to using a shakey head rig for bass,but I was wondering if u could get away with it using for trout ? What do u guys think ?

Sierra_Smitty
04-24-2008, 01:33 AM
It would absolutely work on trout with downsized tackle.

But....I don't think you need to get fancy at most Sierra lakes. I see guys all summer catching loads of fish on the same thing they used with their grandpa 50 years ago. There have been a few major advancements in Sierra trouting over the past 30 years....just a few. Some lures and colors get hot but I really do wonder if marketing isn't the major player. For instance.....in 2006 I had a woman out-fish her friends 3 to 1 using velveeta, a classic. Her friends dunked crawlers, PB and salmon eggs yet she outfished her entire crew. Hmmm.....

I will say this though....these techniques along with the addition of Alpers trout to the Sierra fisheris have made an impact.

1. Mini-Jigs.....everyone knew they worked for panfish but once brought up our way they proved and still prove to be one of the best if not the best rigs for sierra trout.

2. Trout worms - plastics....basically bass rigs (carolina, split shot, drop-shot) all are killer and my preferred method of trouting. I have yet to see one presentation trump another though. If worked slowly, they all work.

Aside from them...I haven't seen anything new during my lifetime that really shook things up. If you want to try the shakey head...rock on!

For trophy browns though.....presentation is everything.....and with the right bait, who knows, the shakey head might shake something loose (bad joke, sorry!)

-Smitty

troutdog
04-24-2008, 01:41 AM
It would absolutely work on trout with downsized tackle.

But....I don't think you need to get fancy at most Sierra lakes. I see guys all summer catching loads of fish on the same thing they used with their grandpa 50 years ago. There have been a few major advancements in Sierra trouting over the past 30 years....just a few. Some lures and colors get hot but I really do wonder if marketing isn't the major player. For instance.....in 2006 I had a woman out-fish her friends 3 to 1 using velveeta, a classic. Her friends dunked crawlers, PB and salmon eggs yet she outfished her entire crew. Hmmm.....

I will say this though....these techniques along with the addition of Alpers trout to the Sierra fisheris have made an impact.

1. Mini-Jigs.....everyone knew they worked for panfish but once brought up our way they proved and still prove to be one of the best if not the best rigs for sierra trout.

2. Trout worms - plastics....basically bass rigs (carolina, split shot, drop-shot) all are killer and my preferred method of trouting. I have yet to see one presentation trump another though. If worked slowly, they all work.

Aside from them...I haven't seen anything new during my lifetime that really shook things up. If you want to try the shakey head...rock on!

For trophy browns though.....presentation is everything.....and with the right bait, who knows, the shakey head might shake something loose (bad joke, sorry!)

-Smitty

Great feedback Smitty....regarding #2 do you have a favorite color? Last June I went up to Little Virginia and literally outfished 15 other anglers 3-1 over a 2.5hour period using a pink power worm and white amino egg. I was amazed at how effective these things are. My buddy swears by the red ones and nailed a 7.5 at Lundy the same day. Needless to say I have been converted.

Looking forward to your reports on the shakeyhead Loye....IMO you may want to try pink!

TD

Loye
04-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Yea Im gonna try to find a a small enough shakey head to work on lip ripperz.Ill let you guys know how they work when i head up to the Sierras this summer.

greeper
04-24-2008, 12:26 PM
:lol:
For instance.....in 2006 I had a woman out-fish her friends 3 to 1 using velveeta, a classic.
-Smitty
SHHHHHH that's a top secret....!!!! cheaper and you can eat it at the same time:lol:

IncredibleHuck
04-24-2008, 10:28 PM
You know I have never thought about this technique till now, and I bet you anything it'll kick butt. I'll be going out now and picking up some jig heads to try this out.

Thanks for the Idea!