PDA

View Full Version : Wrong ammo for the bite in NPH 4/20 Late Report

flyngby
04-23-2008, 08:41 PM
Returned to the harbor on foot after taking the boat out for the past few sessions on the water. My goal was to catch some Bass or Butt working the plastics.

At the first dock I threw out the soaking rig while throwing and retrieving for nothing. Made a move to a dock I had not visited in awhile and near where we had some success on the boat for the bass and some previous Butts form the dock

Again threw out the bait to soak and started casting the plastic. Very quickly the bait pole took off on a screaming run. Quickly retrieved the cast and picked up the screaming rod on a that continued to rip out line. Buttoned it down a little and a little hand friction had no effect on the big run!!

As I went to try a previous learned technique to free spool it to stop the run I noticed it was already over 200 plus yards out and very close to the beach moorings. Gave it a shot and it worked as it settled on the bottom. Now the game began to encourage it to come back in my direction. Just as I encouraged it to do so I had underestimated how far it was down from the dock and it began to move into the channel and was cut off by a passing boat.

Was definitely a large bat that attempted to pull me in the water with it.

Anyway all that wanted to play were the bats and a 20" Shovelnose.

5 Smaller Bats landed and 3 lost on the light line and a broken rod. No Bass or Butts till next time but a lot of stretched smaller class line!!!!!!

While preparing to leave I noticed 1 of the Bats that managed to wrap me on a dock line about 10' from the dock was still attached to my broken line and stuck on the rope. went into a rescue mission to free it but the net was not long enough to assist. Got creative and used a pole to extend the nets reach to get it and get a photo before release.

Wingnut
04-24-2008, 07:43 PM
Hey Steve, pretty creative with the pole/net thingamajig! ;) At least you got some action going. Nice to see you getting out there on the water buddy. :mrgreen:

KILLA
04-24-2008, 08:11 PM
I like how you showed some man hood and help the fallen ray :thumb:

Don't give up on me soldier

killa :2guns:

CoffeaRobusta
04-24-2008, 09:56 PM
You the man flyngby. Been wondering where you've been. WTG with the variety and the rescue.

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-26-2008, 05:09 PM
betta watch it....you'll get the bat feva from them suckas, especially those big big suckas...ya gotta admit, even though you lost it, it was great fun wasn't it ?

Ifishtoolittle
04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
I like what you did with the rod and the net, but doesn't it get in the way?