PDA

View Full Version : Painting old fiberblass???

Brian_GSC
04-23-2008, 01:14 PM
I've got an old glass boat. Not sure the age, but it was in poor condition when I got it. I really can't complain too much because it was free, and it came with an 80hp Merc that runs great!

The color is a light-blue that is badly faded. I've heard that it is not worth the time to paint over old fiberglass....any thoughts?

bruce watson
04-23-2008, 04:26 PM
Go to WalMart or boaters world or West Marine. There is a marine fiberglass cleaner called "Star Brite" (not Bright). It just wipes on and wipes off. About $8-$10 a bottle. One bottle will do a 20 foot boat. You are in for a surprise. Play4therush did his 25 year old boat, it looks like a new boat.

Tail Chaser
04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
All of there products seem to get good reviews.

fullstringer
04-23-2008, 10:26 PM
how is it on gel coat??

bruce watson
04-23-2008, 11:16 PM
It does not scratch the gel coat at all. I use to use it on my sailboat. That's where I got sold on it. Just wipe it on and it gets rid of any oils, scum, and oxidation off the fiberglass. I've tried it on my aluminum boat and it does clean the boat, but doesn't have the same overall effect as it does on fiberglass.

Sparky70
04-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Thanks Bruse,
Was wondering what to put on my fiberglass hull to make it look nice.

SP70

fullstringer
04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Ditto thanks Bruce

crappie stalker
04-30-2008, 08:46 AM
That is good to know.. Will give it a try.

CS

bruce watson
04-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Somebody post a few before and afters when they do their job.

BingJr
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM
I went to Wal Mart today and bought some Star Brite Hull Cleaner. It is a good product and wipe the grime right off, but it is in no way a polish. The bottle mentions that Star Brite makes a polish too, this is not it. I am glad I bought this and will wipe my boat down from now on with this when I get out of the water. I will put this in a spray bottle and keep with me. Takes off the lake lines or oil lines on your hull. It is a cleaner, just not a restorer.

bruce watson
05-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Yea Bing, I may have not mentioned it, but after you get the hull cleaned down to the fiberglass, you'll want to wax the boat. What year is your boat and was it oxidized very badly? I do like the Star Brite products because they do a good job of cleaning. But because of mine being a tin can I can't shine it up like I did my sailboat.