PDA

View Full Version : Mendota National Wildlife Reserve

plumbertom
04-22-2008, 09:46 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I headed out Thursday after loading my camping gear into my truck, made a stop at the market for food and ice, then hit the road for the drive north. stopped in Castaic for fuel ($4.19 a gallon for diesel) and continued the journey. Another stop in the valley along the five for a belly buster (Super Star from Carls) and to stretch my back was the the only other diversion until the 33 exit from the I-5. on up the 33 to the 180 and I was there.
Drove back along the water found a nice spot and put out a line.
The wind was blowing pretty good and it was chilly once the sun went down the temp dropped but the wind didn't so I fished (with a few shaker bites) as long as I could stand it then crawled into the back of my truck and wrapped up in my sleeping bag, next thing I know it's morning.
I put my line out and began to make some coffee when when a F&G warden came by and told me I had to leave that area. Seems as though they were going to be doing some road repair back in the refuge and didn't want any one back there. So I finished making coffee and then loaded up the gear I had set out to make room for my bed and went back up the road.
On the way out I drove past road closed signs that were not there the day before.
I went out to the entrance and found a nice spot across from the bait shop and waited for the Mex. restaurant to open but they never did. After 9:30 I drove into Mendota and found a small Cafe on the corner of Seventh & Hwy 33 that was memorable only for their salsa and hand made corn tortillas they served with my breakfast.
Contacted Robb and advised him as to the closure at the refuge and he suggested that get the camp spot right at the road closure by the discharge pipe from the pump on that side of the slough so I went back down the road and set up camp in the place he recommended. This was about 11:30AM.
It was a good spot with plenty of level ground for tents and lots of shade.
Put out a line with night crawlers dipped in Hog Wild blood bait . I must have tossed it right in front of fish 'cause it wasn't five minutes before I got the first serious bite. I pulled in a nice little cat about 2lbs.
Refreshed my bait and cast back out, not 20 minutes later I caught another catfish a little bigger than the first one. Now, I'm thinking 'this is gonna be a great fishing trip' but by the time Robb and Burt arrived around 2PM I hadn't got another bite.
They went about setting up their tent and I assisted them and set up my own little dome tent, all the while we were soaking bait of various types (I mostly stayed with crawlers dipped in H.W.).
I think I must have caught the only two willing biters for that day.
Mean while a couple of more people arrived, I believe Catpaw and his friend. they set up their tent across the road and went to fishing.
It was still cold and breezy. Around 11PM I hit the bag for the night.
Some time during the night StankBait (Joseph) and his crew arrived and proceeded to fish and party with Robb until the small hours.
Of course I (being deaf) only got the report in the morning of their previous nights antics so I'll leave that to some one else to relate.
Thursday Robb caught a catfish about 6lbs and I caught another in line with the others I caught. Hopnbrly (Lloyd) arrived with his little dog Molly and joined us in attempting to entice the fish.
the weather had warmed considerably and the wind had died down some what. The mosquitoes came out for dinner but were easily handled with a little repellent.
Friday marked the arrival of Janzaldo (Jaime) and Gilmafam (Ray) to join our antics. Now, if the fish would just get active.
Capt. Steve came by for a while and so did Daniel with his son. We also had help fishing from Vini and his lady friend whose name I missed.
Fisnutz (Linsay) came out on Saturday and joined the fray.
By Saturday night it turned off cold again and the wind picked up a little.
My total fish count was 5 catfish with none above 4lbs.
Sunday I decided I had been there long enough and wanted a shower so I packed up and cleared out. The drive home was without incident.
I tried to remember everyone that came out while relating this tale but if I forgot to mention you I can only say 'I apologize' it wasn't intentional.
Photos from this trip are on my web album along with other you are welcome to view at;
http://picasaweb.google.com/plumbertom1

bretmoua
04-25-2008, 11:45 AM
I can't believe you came all the way up north just to fish that area. In my opinion, that place is pretty dirty and I wouldn't eat anything out of it. Yeah, I've heard of people catching some decent size catfish, and panfish from there but still, it's dirty. Plus you have all the pesticides coming from the local farmers....not to mention the horrible smell from a dairy not too far away.
Overall, glad you all had a great time! Next time, you should consider trying out some of the canals on Bass avenue. There are legal stripers to be caught there. The place might be crowded though.

plumbertom
04-26-2008, 08:40 AM
you would believe that. Considering that the water in the Fresno slough (the main body of water in MNWR) comes from the San Joaquin river and is drawn off for irrigation.
And as far as farm runoff, that's been avoided since the problems at Kesterson were discovered and had to be dealt with.
I will go as far as to say that this area has been thoroughly trashed (What's wrong with those people?) by the people of the area that use it regularly at least up close to the road but further back in we were able to have a nice clean area after a little policing. There were trash cans with liners that had been recently emptied every couple hundred yards along the road. One thing that could have been improved was that there was only one portable toilet that was in recently serviced condition located by the bridge.
As to why we chose MNWR, our Catfishing internet group holds gatherings of it members in several areas every year mostly decided by the person that chooses to host us. MNWR was the area chosen by a long time member from Fresno as his favorite place to fish and invited the rest of us to come.
This was the first time to that area for many of us. I think one of the considerations there was the fact that access and camping, although limited along the shoreline, is free (No Fees). Also taken into consideration was the central location for members that came from around the state.
If you think you have a better place to camp and fish and would like to host such a gathering please PM me and I'll provide a link for you to join. Keep in mind that we are primarily interested in fishing for catfish.

Ruger
04-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Great report and good times!

steve092
05-05-2008, 05:17 AM
Looks like you guys had a great time!

Good job!

bretmoua
05-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Now that I think about it.....you can't find a better place to cat fish than that area, if you are only thinking about central cali. Like you said, it does have the camp grounds there. I remember back in the late 80's, I would just park along the mendota canals in firebaugh and mendota to sleep at night. Fishing was great back then as well for both cat fish and stripers. I was looking through the local newspaper (Fresno Bee) for fishing report of the area but unfortunately, nothing was written about it. I'll keep you guys up do date on that. Til then, fish on and catch the big one!