PDA

View Full Version : Fishing NPH...HELP?!?

FisherManDingo
04-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Hey all, as you can see, I am new to this message board. I've been reading the posts that most of you write and find them very informative. I myself fish whenever I can, but I would like to change that. I am not the best fisherman out there, but also want to change that. I need help people... I went to the wedge at NPH yesterday with a few buddies and got skunked! We were on the west jetty (the one on the right if you were going out on a boat to sea). My buddies were using squid and shrimp and I was using a saltwater gulp camo sandworm on a number 6 hook, then switched it up to a saltwater gulp 3in squid. NOTHIN!!! I then went to the surf and threw on another sandworm and went at it. I fanned the whole surf. I must have casted for 30 minutes and nothing. I know that not catching fish is part of fishing, but I WANT TO CATCH FISH!!! I want to be a fisherman! I want fish blood to run through my veins!!! (ok, maybe not) I live closer to LB and Seal Beach, or even HB. Any suggestions? Please Help! Anyone want to fish?!? I had another question. I've gone on fishing charters and believe it or not, never caught anything, only because I was spending more time chumming the water with the contents of my stomach than actually fishing. Any suggestions or remedies to prevent motion, or seasickness?

Jikser
04-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Dramamine or Bonine on an empty stomach. As far as fishing goes....keep at it and read up...it's an acquired skill. If you happen to see a fellow angler...talk to him/her. I notice they much rather teach or give advice in person.

Wingnut
04-20-2008, 11:02 PM
My cure for sea sickness is called "Surf Fishing". :lol:
There's no quick way to become a good fisherman. Read up, put your time in and just get out there as much as you can. You will learn something new every time you hit the water. ;) :D

Good luck to you & welcome to FNN. :cool:

crystalmath79
04-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Dramamine and ginger candy/supplements will help with the seasickness. If you really want to catch a fish, try fishing from the local piers. You'll most likely catch something, whether it's a croaker, mackerel or smelt.

kozaki
04-21-2008, 12:04 AM
Bonine works for me. Of course I tend to take more than suggested. Prescription patches work well. Spending little time in the bunks and galley may help too. The air in there tends to get stag unless they are well ventilated rooms.
You'll eventually find your own "recipe".

sonarbp
04-21-2008, 08:19 AM
Hey FisherManDingo,

Welcome to the boards!!!! First off if you have problems with sea sickness go see your doctor and ask for scopace......this is a presciption drug that will stop the sea sickness for sure....if not try ginger tablets you can get at any drug store or supermarkets. The ginger really only helps with the stomach not the equalibrium like the scopace will.

About fishing stop by your local tackel shop and ask the guys a few questions on what is biting and where. They will explain what to use and how to rig it....remember they want your business and it is their job to help you succeed....If you are ever in HB stop by Fishermans Hardware on Gothard and ask for Alan or Rob.....they will show what is working and be glad to show you techniques and rigging.

If you want to do a bit of fishing give me a bit of notice and we can plan a outing....I will be more than happy to share what I know with you.

sonarbp

FisherManDingo
04-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Cool thanks for the info and I'll remember to give you notice.
Hey FisherManDingo,

Welcome to the boards!!!! First off if you have problems with sea sickness go see your doctor and ask for scopace......this is a presciption drug that will stop the sea sickness for sure....if not try ginger tablets you can get at any drug store or supermarkets. The ginger really only helps with the stomach not the equalibrium like the scopace will.

About fishing stop by your local tackel shop and ask the guys a few questions on what is biting and where. They will explain what to use and how to rig it....remember they want your business and it is their job to help you succeed....If you are ever in HB stop by Fishermans Hardware on Gothard and ask for Alan or Rob.....they will show what is working and be glad to show you techniques and rigging.

If you want to do a bit of fishing give me a bit of notice and we can plan a outing....I will be more than happy to share what I know with you.

sonarbp