PDA

View Full Version : May 18-22

Procure kid
04-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Heading up in about three weeks (June Lake, Big Rock resort) on our annual trip. Looking to really jig fish alot this year, and would like some direction on were (lakes and locations on the lakes), technique and gear........

Badfish2
04-22-2008, 01:46 AM
Heading up in about three weeks (June Lake, Big Rock resort) on our annual trip. Looking to really jig fish alot this year, and would like some direction on were (lakes and locations on the lakes), technique and gear........

PM Sent..

But for everyone else... Use Thomas Bouyants in Gold/Red and reel it in slow and you should have no troubles hooking up with 100s of rainbows. If you want to catch some browns, swap out for the rainbow trout pattern thomas bouyant and you'll definitely hook up.

June lake loop is probably the most consistant area and most diverse are in the sierras to fish. It has world class stream fishing in Rush Creek and some of the best shots at big fish with Gull and June. Grant is probably the most underrated lake in the sierras. I'd go to Grant 40 times over before going to crowley. Crowley gets hype because of the money making the "Crowley Fish Camp" makes and surrounding shops. Trust me, you won't regret fishing June Lake loop

Fish the "rock" at gull with large CD 9 Rapalas, and Thomas Bouyants. If you like dunking bait, Yellow or Salmon Egg flavor power bait works amazing all year in the sierras. The key is use small bait, huge globs of power bait will get you nothing. It is definitely true in the sierras, big lure = big fish. Although I won't give away ALL my secrets, I will tell you that the above is pretty damned good advice.

I've found that slow reeling and natural presentation is key in the sierras. Fish quiet spots, it doesn't take but a few minutes to walk to a quiet drop off in most of the lakes in the sierras. So to sum it up

Lures to use

Lakes:
Thomas Bouyants Gold/Red in smaller sizes for rainbows.. rainbow pattern for browns
(side note) I've found that the watermelon patterns were working great at the end of last year... check those out too
Streams
Panther Martins Gold blade with black body and red hooks
Rainbow trout pattern panther martin .. if you can.. buy the smaller pm's because the bigger ones just don't seem to get the fish interested

Jigs
Any trout trap,lip ripperz,etc will work. Just stick to natural colors... browns,greens,greys,yellows

Baits

Power Bait in Yellow Salmon Egg, Rainbow, Orange on size 18 trebles 4 foot leader when it's cold, 1 foot leader when it's hot

Flies
Olive Matuka
Black Gnat with red tail
Wooley Bugger with gold bead heads
Fish these flies with bubble/fly combo set up and you're golden. Fish it slow!

Salmon eggs and Nightcralwers are very very effective in the sierras, but key is small worms and single salmon eggs .. don't get crazy with the sizes.. they like small baits.

Scents

Garlic
Roe
Corn
Nuff said.

Good luck and happy fishing.

Badfish2
04-22-2008, 01:56 AM
Oh and for directions use google maps

Spots to look for on the lakes

June: Rocks along shore lines and steep drop offs.. so basically the north or south side of the lake, east and west sides are shallow = no no

Gull: Find the "Rock' Fish toward the reeds

Silver: I avoid this lake, too many people but I like to fish the inlet

Grant, west side of the lake just off the road .. from the road look down at the lake and look for drop offs in the water. They're easy to see, the closer to the dam the better

Rush creek, pick your spot...it's alll good. The pools get deeper as you get closer to mono lake = bigger fish

MAN VS WILD
04-23-2008, 12:49 AM
I'll be up there that week May 18-22. I will be hitting Red's Meadow, Rainbow Falls, Convict Lake, Lake mary, Lake George, etc... Float tubing a lot also. Good Luck. Maybe we'll run into each other out there.

FISH ON!!!

IncredibleHuck
04-23-2008, 06:37 AM
I'll be up there that week May 18-22. I will be hitting Red's Meadow, Rainbow Falls, Convict Lake, Lake mary, Lake George, etc... Float tubing a lot also. Good Luck. Maybe we'll run into each other out there.

FISH ON!!!

Good luck if you plan to float tube in the mammoth basin. The only lake you may be able to tube at that time of year will be Twin Lakes. Also with the heavy snowfall the road down to Red's Meadow probably won't be open to mid-june.

Procure kid
04-23-2008, 06:55 AM
We will be staying at "Big Rock Resort" ....hittin the loop in the afternoon, Crowley, Bridgeport during the day! See ya up there.......

pattitude
04-23-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm interested in using Jigs as well.

What kind of retrive, Slow twitch??

Rattle bobber or Splitshot???

Leeder length?

Type ]is berkly the best??

Favorite Color??

When & how to change color? Time of day , Water clearity Ect???

Any other Jig specific info would be Great

Badfish2
04-24-2008, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=pattitude;178154]I'm interested in using Jigs as well.

What kind of retrive, Slow twitch??

Rattle bobber or Splitshot??? Either one

Leeder length? Depends on water depth, but 4 feet to be safe

Type ]is berkly the best?? bait? It's popular, but not the best

Favorite Color?? Green,Smoke,Yellow

When & how to change color? Time of day , Water clearity Ect???

Any other Jig specific info would be Great Don't worry about clarity, water is always clear up there, use natural colors. Gold,Yellow,Brown, Green

troutdog
04-24-2008, 12:09 PM
PM Sent..

But for everyone else... Use Thomas Bouyants in Gold/Red and reel it in slow and you should have no troubles hooking up with 100s of rainbows. If you want to catch some browns, swap out for the rainbow trout pattern thomas bouyant and you'll definitely hook up.

June lake loop is probably the most consistant area and most diverse are in the sierras to fish. It has world class stream fishing in Rush Creek and some of the best shots at big fish with Gull and June. Grant is probably the most underrated lake in the sierras. I'd go to Grant 40 times over before going to crowley. Crowley gets hype because of the money making the "Crowley Fish Camp" makes and surrounding shops. Trust me, you won't regret fishing June Lake loop

Fish the "rock" at gull with large CD 9 Rapalas, and Thomas Bouyants. If you like dunking bait, Yellow or Salmon Egg flavor power bait works amazing all year in the sierras. The key is use small bait, huge globs of power bait will get you nothing. It is definitely true in the sierras, big lure = big fish. Although I won't give away ALL my secrets, I will tell you that the above is pretty damned good advice.

I've found that slow reeling and natural presentation is key in the sierras. Fish quiet spots, it doesn't take but a few minutes to walk to a quiet drop off in most of the lakes in the sierras. So to sum it up

Lures to use

Lakes:
Thomas Bouyants Gold/Red in smaller sizes for rainbows.. rainbow pattern for browns
(side note) I've found that the watermelon patterns were working great at the end of last year... check those out too
Streams
Panther Martins Gold blade with black body and red hooks
Rainbow trout pattern panther martin .. if you can.. buy the smaller pm's because the bigger ones just don't seem to get the fish interested

Jigs
Any trout trap,lip ripperz,etc will work. Just stick to natural colors... browns,greens,greys,yellows

Baits

Power Bait in Yellow Salmon Egg, Rainbow, Orange on size 18 trebles 4 foot leader when it's cold, 1 foot leader when it's hot

Flies
Olive Matuka
Black Gnat with red tail
Wooley Bugger with gold bead heads
Fish these flies with bubble/fly combo set up and you're golden. Fish it slow!

Salmon eggs and Nightcralwers are very very effective in the sierras, but key is small worms and single salmon eggs .. don't get crazy with the sizes.. they like small baits.

Scents

Garlic
Roe
Corn
Nuff said.

Good luck and happy fishing.

Great post Badfish2, thanks for all the great info on baits and spots to try them at....I am going to put it to use very soon!

TD

Badfish2
04-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Great post Badfish2, thanks for all the great info on baits and spots to try them at....I am going to put it to use very soon!

TD

No problem at all man, i love to help out. I want to see some big numbers out of the sierrra this year even if it's not from me. Although I do hope to break my record fish of 4lbs. I'm due! I can catch 200 fish a day but they haven't been that big. I need to get one of those monsters, I'm hoping Gull will be the lake this year

aboos
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
PM Sent..

id have to agree and disagree on that.

i agree on the fact that grant lake is WAY underrated.

i disagree on crowley being all hype. pound for pound, i believe a crowley fish out fights almost every other lake (with some exceptions).. but for the most part.

but yes, june lake loop is very productive..hell, the whole sierras is productive. id love to fish bridgeport more often but its just too far from mammoth.

greeper
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
As much as I like Grant, I can't agree on the comparison to Crowley.. IMHO Crowley is one of the best lakes to fish. By far I've caught much better quality fish out of Crowley then any body of water up there except BP resv... But of course there are no fish in BP so no one should go there:lol: As for the loop I'll agree it can be good, but it can suck also with all the fishing pressure it gets in the summer, I rarely fish that area anymore... Honestly, it's fishing you can have killer days anywhere in the Eastern Sierras, just enjoy the scenery!!!

greeper
04-24-2008, 12:40 PM
id have to agree and disagree on that.

i agree on the fact that grant lake is WAY underrated.

i disagree on crowley being all hype. pound for pound, i believe a crowley fish out fights almost every other lake (with some exceptions).. but for the most part.

but yes, june lake loop is very productive..hell, the whole sierras is productive. id love to fish bridgeport more often but its just too far from mammoth.
now that's funny I didn't even see this post almost identical to mine,,, your wrong there are NO FISH in bridgeport:rofl: no one should waste the gas...

aboos
04-24-2008, 12:41 PM
bro..look at the times..we posted at the same exact time hahahaha

thats right, bridgeport has no fish..i completely forgot :D

Procure kid
04-24-2008, 01:32 PM
No problem at all man, i love to help out. I want to see some big numbers out of the sierrra this year even if it's not from me. Although I do hope to break my record fish of 4lbs. I'm due! I can catch 200 fish a day but they haven't been that big. I need to get one of those monsters, I'm hoping Gull will be the lake this year

Have you found that Gull has slowed down alot in the past 3-4 years? We use to drag ANYTHING across that lake, Bouyant, Needlefish, Olive Matuka...you name it, on the troll it worked. On the east side, the west, and right down the middle. very little weight, it was always on. But the past 3-4 years have been really alot slower?!? You feel the same, has something changed?

Badfish2
04-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Have you found that Gull has slowed down alot in the past 3-4 years? We use to drag ANYTHING across that lake, Bouyant, Needlefish, Olive Matuka...you name it, on the troll it worked. On the east side, the west, and right down the middle. very little weight, it was always on. But the past 3-4 years have been really alot slower?!? You feel the same, has something changed?

I'd agree there are less smaller fish but the bigger fish still seem to be coming out of there. I catch stockers on PB and bigger fish on the lures.

Badfish2
04-27-2008, 08:06 AM
As much as I like Grant, I can't agree on the comparison to Crowley.. IMHO Crowley is one of the best lakes to fish. By far I've caught much better quality fish out of Crowley then any body of water up there except BP resv... But of course there are no fish in BP so no one should go there:lol: As for the loop I'll agree it can be good, but it can suck also with all the fishing pressure it gets in the summer, I rarely fish that area anymore... Honestly, it's fishing you can have killer days anywhere in the Eastern Sierras, just enjoy the scenery!!!

well, I'm glad you guys think so.. just means more room on Grant for me. Crowley gets the hype because people make money off of that lake. There's no money to be made on grant and I promise you would and will catch more fish on Grant than you would on Crowley. Those that disagree haven't spent time on grant so they wouldn't really know. But like i said, if you want to fish crowley, more grant action for me

sevenout
04-27-2008, 03:37 PM
You want to catch fish? Take the rental boat to Gull, stage at the launch ramp. When the big white truck with the blue sticker pulls up then leaves after ten minutes or so, you and Pryz throw everything you got at 'em. You'll catch a couple. Meanwhile me and the 'old man' will be killing them at Crowley.

Procure kid
04-28-2008, 08:41 PM
ya.....on your third pack of tarryton charcoal filters, soaking worms with pee stains up and down your pant leg and sunburned junk from your need to show it to anybody you can trick into looking at it. But hell.....old man Bailey still likes a peek every so often! tight lines with those g-loomis rods.....Team Ugly Stick.

Badfish2
04-28-2008, 10:59 PM
You want to catch fish? Take the rental boat to Gull, stage at the launch ramp. When the big white truck with the blue sticker pulls up then leaves after ten minutes or so, you and Pryz throw everything you got at 'em. You'll catch a couple. Meanwhile me and the 'old man' will be killing them at Crowley.

Crowley is just the Eastern Sierra's version of SARL ... no thanks.

flytyingreloader
04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Crowley is a way fine lake--and Grant has been the Dead Sea for a decade. Yeah, that's right--no fish at all in Grant. :)

+1 to the idea that Grant Lake is under-rated. The fluctuating levels in Grant since the Mono Lake re-water decision in concert with dry rain/snow years haven't done the fish or the fishing in Grant a lot of good, but things seem stabilized at good levels the past few years. Grant bounces back just fine.

Over a lotta years, Grant has produced more quality fish for me than any other lake in the Sierras. "Quality fish" has differing meanings for all of us--to me, it means trout 15"+, and I'm happy C&R'ing 20-25 of those a day to 18" rather than spending 3-5 days trolling to hook up one that goes to the taxidermist on a tow truck. SURE--I'll take a 6-8 lb. fish--but I don't need to in order to enjoy myself. There's an ocean to our left on the map that does the Big Fish thing for me.

I hate August in the Sierras. Crowded like a big dog. August was my back-country month in the Sierras--all the passes are open, high summer above 10K', Humphery's Basin time.

billy b
04-29-2008, 12:11 PM
I've got a 1.5 days of fishing available May 13-14. I had planned to spend a day on June Lake - mainly trolling ... but will probably anchor down for some bait fishing.

The next morning I don't know if I should hit Gull in a boat, or Grant - either of the shore oof Grant or trolling ... probably trolling. I used to do real well on some nice brownies down at the East end of Grant at about 3 colors and needlefish.

flytyingreloader
04-29-2008, 06:37 PM
This has varied somewhat--but over a long time, June has been a "morning and evening lake" for me, while Grant has been an all-day lake--esp. at the dam end. If I had to make a 1.5 day trip to the Loop.......it would be Grant, and I would time it during the dark of the moon if possible.