PDA

View Full Version : Back country fish extermination?

rufustf
04-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Last year while hiking & fishing out of agnew meadows (Mammoth) I found a net & a float in a small, off trail lake. There were no trout in the lake. A USFS warden I came across told me that they were killing off the trout in some of the high altitude lakes because they were killing the food source of the endangered yellow legged frog. Later, back in the city, I heard that it had since been discovered that the cause of the problem was not the trout, but another thing (some kind of bug, I think).
Anyhow, does anyone here have any current news about this? Will the trout in some of these high altitude lakes be killed off? Was that last bit of info I got totally wrong? The last published article I could find on the subject was dated 2006,

http://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/ecoinf/vs.jsp

so I'm not sure what the current plan is. As much as I love fishing the back country I'd hate for it to be at the expense of the yellow legged frog. And yes, I'm aware that all of the high sierra trout in the mammoth lakes area were planted at one time or another, and are not natural to the area.
Anyhow, I thought some of the people that post here might live in the area and have some more current information that is unavailable elsewhere.
Thanks in advance.

Sierra_Smitty
04-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Do you recall which lake specifically that you found the gear at?

rufustf
04-23-2008, 10:03 AM
Yes indeed. The gear was at laura lake. On the JMT connecting Shadow creek and Garnet lake you can go off the trail to the east about a mile and that's where it is. I saw a tiny little fish about an inch long while taking a dip, but otherwise the lake was empty.

Sierra_Smitty
04-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Interesting indeed. I hadn't heard about that one. There is a chance they were just doing sampling but in all liklihood its a frog lake now. Thankfully there are 2000 or so lakes for us still to fish...for now at least.

big_mike_70
04-23-2008, 04:08 PM
thanks for this info

that file is large but holds info that ill be using for years to come.

FishnSierra
04-24-2008, 11:18 AM
interesting info. something to look into

rufustf
04-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for posting that file, it has a lot of good information in it.
I have emailed the DFG requesting more info on the subject & will post it here in the event they get back to me with anything that's helpful.