PDA

View Full Version : Surf fishing and sand crabs

al35
04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Just wanted to share an observation (maybe it's common knowledge, but I haven't seen it here). I thought the sand crabs aren't there yet, still hiding during the winter. This morning I went fishing early (Santa Monica), and there were plenty of crabs (mostly big ones) around 6am. But by 7am they were all gone. Do they come out at night?

No luck today with the perch. I start wondering if I'm doing something wrong. The only productive surf fishing for me was the very first time I tried last year (a couple of corbinas and a dozen perch -- beginners luck?..). Since then -- nothing; went several times, no bites. Any advice on any good place to try between Venice beach and Malibu?

WOKIEE
04-19-2008, 04:49 PM
fish malibu thats where there at

Fisherman57
04-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I was in the Malibu area today and didnt spot any crab beds. I didnt look all that hard, but there may well be some showing....

Sand crabs usually start showing up on the beach when the water reaches about 60 degrees. Ideally, you want to find and use "soft shell" sand crabs.

When you're able to locate some good "soft shell" sand crabs they are without a doubt the best bait you can use! Sand crabs start to "molt" (lose their shell) when the water reaches about 64 degrees. While in between hard shells they make an ideal bait for surf fishing. Even better are the ones that are carrying eggs (roe).

Sand Crabs are usually found in soft sand near the high tide mark. Look for small "V's" in the sand or watch for birds that are pumping the sand in a specific area for a continued amount of time, these are all indicators of possible sand crab beds..

Surf Perch are found most anywhere along Southern California beaches........ take a look at the featured article I wrote as there might be a few tips in it that will help.

http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/showthread.php?t=14334

Tight lines!

Zombie Bass ATTACK
04-19-2008, 08:10 PM
use gulp sand worms 2inch camo thats your best bet of hooking fish and a good amount..use a carolina rig set up and size 6 owner mosquito hook..

megafisher94
04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
yea zba (zombiebassattack) is right. that will work at any beach right now. i like beaches with rocky structures(malibu, cystal cove, cdm). i use the lc and krocs there and theres a good chance for halibut.

camrydad
04-20-2008, 11:47 PM
yea zba (zombiebassattack) is right. that will work at any beach right now. i like beaches with rocky structures(malibu, cystal cove, cdm). i use the lc and krocs there and theres a good chance for halibut.

Any particular color or size on the LC?

hakaveli
04-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Any particular color or size on the LC?

sardine or aurora black FLASH MINNOW 110 (preferred) or 130

camrydad
04-21-2008, 12:21 AM
sardine or aurora black FLASH MINNOW 110 (preferred) or 130

Thank you hakaveli for the response.

hakaveli
04-21-2008, 12:24 AM
no problem