PDA

View Full Version : NPH: Santa Fe's First Legal Halibut April 18

Santa Fe Eric
04-19-2008, 12:28 AM
This past two weeks have been some really tough weeks for me personally and I really needed a good fishing trip to lighten my mood. I took the day off and slept in before heading to the NPH. I had a feeling that it was going to be a good day because as soon as I got near the spot I wanted to fish these two guys offered me a box of Squid. I didn’t get their names, but I was really appreciative. Thanks again guys! I was really excited because I have been having good luck fishing Mike Gardner style as well as dragging the drop shot. I am really starting to enjoy the bay because I am consistently catching fish. The Spotties have really been responding and on #4 test, the fight is great. I have not had much success with Halibut so I refused to take any poles spooled with more that #6 test. Still fishing with the #4 test, I decided to try something different. I laced on a Beetle Spin jig with a soft plastic. I tossed it in the water and started cranking. Then, immediately it felt like my lure hit a brick wall. I mean it just stopped dead cold! I am a B&W-A Baiter & Waiter and have never caught a fish while reeling in a lure…..It was awesome! Everything was still for a few seconds and then my line started peeling.
I fought this fish for like 3 minutes before I could even see what it was. I was so scared I was going to lose it that I tried to loosen the drag and ended up tightening it. Soon the Halibut reared her beautiful head and made my day. It took me sever attempts to get the fish in the boat without breaking the line and the fish kept diving every time I brought her to the suface. Soon I had her in the boat and measured at 26 inches. I took a few pictures and then released the flat booty girl to go get a little thicker.

God Bless!

Santa Fe Eric

Homeslice
04-19-2008, 01:08 AM
nice job out there. try some top water spoons or LCs for the cudas next time.

troutdog
04-19-2008, 01:09 AM
Nice job on the flatty Santa Fe! You took some nice pics as well, glad you had such a great day on the water after a couple rough weeks. Just goes to show good things happen to good people....can't wait for the next report!

Any chance of an appearance from you next Sat at the Vine?

Take care E,

TD

Fisherman57
04-19-2008, 05:51 AM
Eric we miss your rap for sure...
Even big butt's seem don't seem like a cure...
Congrats on a nice legal there "E"
But bring back the rap that was dear to me... :lol:

Well done Eric! YOU DESERVE THAT FISH!
Hope to see you soon my friend!

Dana

tacklejunkie
04-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Nice one! ON 4lb! GEez man that must have been some battle! Great job! :thumb:

ghetto dad
04-19-2008, 07:28 AM
GREAT JOB BIG PIMPIN!!!! nice...yeah man, its awesome fishing a lure or jig, and it just STOPS!! Thats one of the reasons while fishing on a boat, i like to throw iron man....nothing like it....

GD

WPCBANDIT
04-19-2008, 08:50 AM
Great Job On The Flattie It Is All About Catch And Releaseof Those Barely Legals!!!!!!!!

howstar
04-19-2008, 10:38 AM
Great job man!!! I'm still waiting for mine. If i had only half your skill, maybe one day you can teach me! Thanks for the report

ikeman
04-19-2008, 10:53 AM
Great job on the flattie. Nice plump looking fish!

one_leg
04-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Eric, that is a fine looking fish, you have every right to be proud.

Congrats to you, and thanks for the report.

Wingnut
04-19-2008, 12:39 PM
Excellent job Eric! Congrats & well deserved. Thanks for letting the "Flat Girl" live to fight another day. :D Very cool! Way to land her on light line. :thumb:

Santa Fe Eric
04-19-2008, 02:20 PM
I am so crushed! I just responded to all of you individually and then I hit a wrong button and deleted it:-o,

Please know that all of your replies made my day and I'm such a goober today that I read each reply to my wife. :p

I tried to write a rap, but was too pumped up!

ghetto dad
04-19-2008, 03:19 PM
I am so crushed! I just responded to all of you individually and then I hit a wrong button and deleted it:-o,

Please know that all of your replies made my day and I'm such a goober today that I read each reply to my wife. :p

I tried to write a rap, but was too pumped up!

Word on the streets is, feel the steel gary wants to battle you man.......in some freestyle......:rofl:great job, once again e-ric!!

GD

Hitts0n
04-19-2008, 04:03 PM
Nice looking Butt you have there Eric ! lma0000 !:-o

JSAUCE818
04-19-2008, 11:58 PM
good job on your legal bro!! theres many more to come!...

Mr Bendo
04-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Congrats on your legal Eric!!!!!!!!! Still waiting for an invite?

sansou
04-21-2008, 08:38 AM
In my mind it was only a matter of time before a Fat Flat Boy fell for your Jedi ways....

Congrats & see you around!

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Saweet Flattie there !!!! gotta love it...obviously your personal best......Sa-lute !

Great action out there, I really miss fishing there.
Looks like ya got it going there my friend...

Congrats !
Gary

getn2fishin
04-21-2008, 11:02 AM
That flat boy didn't stand a chance with a determined fisherman like you.....I knew right after I hung up the phone with you that you were gonna kill them out there!!!!! Nice job landing the legal I can picture that smile you had after you saw it.....I can also picture the look on your face after you went the wrong way on the drag....because I've done the same thing on kitties and stripers at the wood....!!!!

Troutman65
04-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Eric, Nice going on the bay and the Halibut !!!!:cool:

Nice report too .

Troutman65

BIGRED KILLA
04-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Nice hali you got there keep it up.

Bigred

Noobiesrule
04-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Nice report. It's good to see that the fishing is picking up down there. I was there a couple weeks ago and fished for spotties and was able to pick up 8. Have you heard anything about the California beach masters classic surf fishing tournament next month? You should definitely go I can't imagine it being very hard to win. Maybe I'll see you there.