PDA

View Full Version : Fishing In NC

britheguy
04-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey guys, late report, but over spring break i went to North Carolina to see my sister in her boarding school. At the school there is a pond outside her dorm...i caught 4 bass, LOL! All of her friends said "That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen!" After fishing for 45 min, i got my sister on her bass! She caught it all by herself. I told her how to work a spinner bait and such. After spending about 5 hours in Siler City, we went to Greensboro and stayed at this golf resort. Knowing golf courses, there where ponds, but i didn't fish them :(. My sister still has the pictures of the bass, so they wont be in here.

After a couple of days in Greensboro we headed to a wonderful place called Asheville. I love that place, great fishing and people. We stayed at Willow's Wind Cabin's (something like that). It was great, we had our own cabin, and there was a trout pond INFESTED with trout...just the way i like it!! After catching about 20 on a Caddis fly, my leader broke after a fish decided to wrap itself around the dock!! Argh! Me being me, i didn't bring any more leaders, and i got lazy. I found the secret lure! Rapala Countdown Firetiger. I caught all of these fish on 8lbs test line on my bass rod, no challenge. I even caught a nice fish on a Jointed rainbow rapala! ZOMG THESE FISH ARE CRAZY!
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/good1235/P3230540.jpg

I caught about 100 fish the whole time i was there. I met this kid named Tyler, he and his dad were from Raleigh. I helped put Tyler on some fish, about 10, with one looking about a good 3 lbs so his dad could get footage of him fishing! We hung out almost everyday (about 3 :D) It's just amazing to teach a kid how to fish proficiently and see the smile they get when they land the big one!

Now to serious fishing. I spent one day on the Davidson river with Guide Paul Wienburg (Spelling may be off). After missing about two strikes from big fish, i had to adjust. Instead of setting the hook like i am accustom to in bass fishing, i just needed to tighten up or else POP, fish gone. These were no stockers. After one big fish bent my hook i knew that this was going to be potentially amazing day. The fish seemed to be passing up everything, we could see them so we knew. So i broke out the pro fly fisherman in me and was straight-line nymphing. (For those who aren't fly fishermen that means no strike indicator or anything, you go by feel and leader. Trust me it's pretty tough). Out of no where a local newspaper photographer pops out of the trees and asks if she can take a picture of me fishing for the Asheville Citizen Times... Sure! "Los Angeles boy like to fish in Asheville!". The big showoff i am, i catch my first fish of the day in front of her! A beautiful 18" Brown!
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/good1235/P3230544.jpg

Great start, my PB Brown!!! After that things got a little slow, watching these picky browns pass our fly up over and over and over! We decided to move.

A quick move down the river leads us two ripply water...tough. After about 10 casts, right as i am about to bring my flyline out of the water BAM! FISH!!! But the adrenaline rush ends with a big "Oh Cr@p". We move again, to more ripple water. Paul teaches me how to upstream fish better. My line stripping is now better!!! When Paul is giving me tips on how to better present the fly with as little drag as possible lands this pretty brown!
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p20/good1235/P3240549.jpg

I know the fish looks big, but its about 15". Still very pretty. We stay there for the rest of the day. I catch another brown and a Rainbow that felt huge, but was foul hooked. Overall i had a great day, besides the fact that my hands were freezing and it was snowing, but it was worth it to see 4 pictures of me and my fish in a small North Carolina newspaper.

Britheguy

Robert trout hunter
04-18-2008, 11:35 PM
zomg nice yellow belly on the last pic :o

Nessie Hunter
04-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Way to go Brian.. Your rocking and rolling, young man.:thumb::thumb:

johnsfishing
04-29-2008, 07:05 PM
sweet report!! Nice job!!:cool:

johnsfishing

Skyler
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
:thumb: I have a friend who lives in Asheville. Good hunting around there too! Sounds like you had a great trip. Tight lines.

tacklejunkie
05-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Awesome report Bri!
Nice fishies man, looks like it was a blast!
Good work helping out your sister with the bass as well ;)

Greg Madrigal
05-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Way 2 represent the west in the east! Nice browns! Great job getting out there and slaying. Thanx 4 the report 2.

GM<><

Troutman65
05-12-2008, 06:10 PM
:cool: Report and pics. Congrats on your PB Brown Trout. :)

Troutman65

steve092
05-15-2008, 05:44 AM
Nice job man.

Congrats on your PB!