PDA

View Full Version : To all yakers...

Skaguy04
04-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I was thinking about buying a float tube but I saw a couple of Hobie fishing kayaks and I fell in love... Are there any members on here with any Hobie fishing yaks, i would appreciate any good feedback about these kayaks...

Thinking about getting a two seater...

trail blazer
04-18-2008, 06:35 AM
PM sent,,,,,,,

Jikser
04-18-2008, 08:20 PM
i have the hobie outback. 2007> models have a more stable hull design than older models.

Pros: HANDSFREE! Fast. Performance upgrades available. Great resale value.

Cons: Bulky, esp. if self loading/unloading onto vehicle. Small storage space. EXPENSIVE.

I still prefer my "paddle" yak over the hobie whet it comes to fishing live bait. i use the hobie for fishing artificials or just cruising.

greeper
04-18-2008, 08:51 PM
i

I still prefer my "paddle" yak over the hobie whet it comes to fishing live bait. i use the hobie for fishing artificials or just cruising.

Just curious why? I sold my extreme and I'm in the market for a hobie..

Jikser
04-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Just curious why? I sold my extreme and I'm in the market for a hobie..

I sold my extreme as well, but to get a different paddle yak. I prefer my this yak over the hobie for its storage space and deck layout that suits my needs when fishing livebait for the flatties, etc. And also Im "pear" shaped...need to work my gunz more than my legs...LOL

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL351/10939402/19455595/312736947.jpg

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL351/10939402/19455595/312736951.jpg

greeper
04-19-2008, 09:30 PM
sounds good, but from what others on the Yak boards have told me the new Hobies have improved on the deck space. They're still not up to par compared to the paddle yaks, what type did you pick up, since the Extreme is one of the best for big guys.. I too am on the bigger side, but I like the idea of hands free, especially when finess fishin for the spotties.. I don't do much Hali fishing so I can see the need for the more stability when bait fishin...

Tail Chaser
04-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I know nothing of YAKS,
Ive noticed a lot of the hardcore guys use Malibu Yaks
Saw a cool photo of a guy last year in La Jolla cooking dogs on the Malibu Yak
While hooked up to a thresher shark.

Jikser
04-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Malibu yaks are manufactured here locally. They have very good warranty and customer service. With that said, a couple of their models are best suited for yakfishing, for its deck space, large storage, high weight cap and stability. I did bring a coleman single burner once while fishing a hali tourny in cabrillo...cooking brats/onions and drifting at the same time..LOL

Greeper: I have the Feelfree Moken now. I was very happy with the eX, but this one seems more functional due to its fishwell on the bow and rod storage. Only thing is they are from a NZ company and only got 1 year warranty. Got it new for dirt cheap so I can't complain. As for my Hobie outback, it's a 2007 model...i really like it, very stable and fast. She's a keeper.

SKAGUY: Sorry to hijack your thread. I hope I somewhat helped you a bit with your research. Get your yak soon!!

idavis
04-20-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a Hobie Outback, and am having a blast with it. Plenty of deck space for me, and I can spend the whole day pedalling around. It's got two thumbs up in my book.

Fastfish
04-24-2008, 10:16 PM
I got 2 a Revolution(for my wife) & a Outback(for me) both 08's & love em just not getting 2fish enuff but will soon been busy doing mods to the Outback nothing yet to the Revolution.

Fastfish

xtinkshun
04-25-2008, 01:05 AM
My boyfriend and I both just purchased Hobies at the beginning of the month. He bought the Outback and I got the Sport, both fishing models. I took mine up to Jackson Lk and fished a little off of it. I like it especially because (albeit a little awkward) it's light enough that I can load/unload myself. The Sport weighs just under 70 lbs but the Outback is almost 90 lbs I think.

We both upgraded to the "turbo" fins for the peddle system and you can tell the difference, especially on the ocean. My Sport was about $1500 after the upgrade.

The cost is mostly in the peddle drive system (I think they said it was about $700 to replace). We went to the angler show in LB and the Dana Pt dealer gave us $100 off w/no tax on both yaks. I wasn't even planning to buy one, but fell in love with them when we went for the yak fishing seminar and then got to demo them around the harbor. I was "hooked" (no pun intended).

Yellowfinsnapper
04-25-2008, 09:35 AM
My brother and I have Outbacks and we love to fish from them.....However, they are sloooow....much slower than a good paddle yak. On the plus side, you can fish them in current or wind and hold your position with the pedals........great in order to target pinpoint areas.

Yellowfin

martuka
04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
My brother and I have Outbacks and we love to fish from them.....However, they are sloooow....much slower than a good paddle yak. On the plus side, you can fish them in current or wind and hold your position with the pedals........great in order to target pinpoint areas.

Yellowfin

I "agree, slow but are great for fishing rivers and currant, but when your in your yak for 4 and 5 hrs at a time fishing there not very comfy, I got rid of my outback for a fully rigged p13 and it's like "night and day on the water now", i can move from the front to the back with no problem, sit sidesaddle,lay back to stretch all with ease, with my outback all i could do is basically sit in the same position the whole time out, and that made for a uncomfortable day and even kind of sore later after fishing, but when i first got my outback it was the greatest thing ever, i just moved on. But now i haven't been on the"new hobie adventure", that looks like a whole new animal ide like to try out, the layout and newer slimline-shallower style hull looks better for movability (mobility) what ever, but the more you can move comfortably on your yak the better your day will be in my opinion, "plus catching a lot of fish" is also good."But there's that big price tag again on the hobies.

These are my yaks, im thinking of maybe selling the p13 (yellow one) maybe?

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc292/mctuka/KayakPics011.jpg