PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestion on a new boat!

vince champion
04-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Hi, Ive been fishing the sea for quite some time @ some of our hot spots from shore and pier. Also recently really gotten into bass fishing but decided i want to get back into ocean fishing. I currently own a bass boat now but planning on selling it to get a ocean boat. so here are some questions.

1.What are good ocean boats out there for fishing that will take me to catalina from Longbeach or marina del ray safely there and back?
2. What are the regulations of driving a 18 to 21 foot boat in the ocean?
3. How many miles is it to catalina?
4. What should i look into in looking for a good deep sea fishing boat?
5. How much HP on the motor should i look for?
6. Can i use my hummingbird 565 fish finder for ocean?

Thanks in advance. Vince.

one_leg
04-16-2008, 03:21 PM
What kinds of fishing do you expect to do most?

Catalina=26 miles across the sea

vince champion
04-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks for your reply one_legg. I am planning on trying to fish around the harbor outside the harbor around the islands. Trying to catch whatever is hot/biting. I want a boat that is stable and wont really put me in danger while driving back to the harbor with some winds and sweels. Thanks again.

Fish Dog
04-16-2008, 09:00 PM
What kind of budget do you have to work with (how much boat can you afford) and how big a tow vehicle do you have (or are going to get)? I'd put Catalina off for a while if you don't have any idea how far it is. (depending on were you launch from and where you're going on Catalina it's from about 22 to 40+ miles). Get a few local trips under your belt and get some experience with whatever boat you get before you try that.

vince champion
04-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks fish dog. My budget would be around 4 - 6k. Planning on buying a use boat. I have a 2006 mecedes ML. The tow rating on my car is 7200 and is also 4 wheel drive. The wheel base is also extended. It is a good tow car and will have no problem. Most definitely i will not make a catalina trip right off the bat. lol Just giving you guys a scenario to see what boat should i take a look at. Before i go out anynear past the harbor ill be sure to know what i am doing first, I wouldnt put anyone lives in danger. Thanks again.

Ryan C
04-17-2008, 12:59 AM
u seem way out of your league here for 4-6 k u are not gonna find any safe running Catalina boat and i doubt that u are gonna tow it with your 6 cyl Mercedes id stick with the bass boat u can use that thing in the bay and fish outside in the mornings when its calm the bay has some awesome fishing good luck

Fish Dog
04-17-2008, 07:43 AM
u seem way out of your league here for 4-6 k u are not gonna find any safe running Catalina boat and i doubt that u are gonna tow it with your 6 cyl Mercedes id stick with the bass boat u can use that thing in the bay and fish outside in the mornings when its calm the bay has some awesome fishing good luck

Yeah, I think that would be a little light on the bucks to get anything large enough for Catalina. You might be able to find a hull that would be good but the motor will be the limiting factor. I can see picking up a nice used 19 to 21 foot Bayrunner or Striper or something along those lines for that much but that would only be if it had a trashed motor and, to re-power it with a new motor would cost you another 6 to 10 K depending on the HP. Also, if not included with the boat you'll need a VHS radio, a GPS and a depthfinder/fishfinder. That would be between $500 and $1000 for that stuff if you want to get decent stuff that will actually work. Also, another thing to consider, if you don't have a big enough driveway to store it in you'll have a monthly storage fee of around $80 give or take a little. I don't want to discourage you but on the other hand I wouldn't want to see you going out there with junk and getting in trouble. If you're motor quits on you at Lake Perris you'll probably still come home that night. If it quits in the middle of the Catalina channel you might never be seen again.

vince champion
04-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for your replies. I was looking into a bayliner Trophy. Is that boat even worth getting if the motor is in good running condition with 140 hp.I understand i will need electronics and that will come sooner or later piece by piece. 4 - 6k is just for the boat. I do have extra $ saved up for electronics. Right now i just want to know my options and from the looks of it it aint much =(. I know i can use my bass boat in the harbor but i wouldnt want to mess it up with corrosion and stuff.

and as for towing Im plannin on leaving it at the marina. Storage there isnt that expensive. and ill save on launching fee.

so what do you guys think of a bayliner trophy or a sun runner 21foot. Will that be enough to do a run to catalina and back?

Cap'n Ron
04-17-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey Vince!
5K!

PULL THE TRIGGER MAN! I don't know em but this one looks like what you need!

22' Sea Ray fishing boat - $5000 (Pomona, CA)
Reply to: sale-645632163@craigslist.org
Date: 2008-04-17, 7:31AM PDT

1973 Sea Ray 220 Deep V Hull w/cuddy cabin
305 Ford I/O motor w/ freshwater cooling system (150+ hours)
Mercruiser 888 Out drive
Cruise speed 22 kts / Max speed: 30 kts
Twin 42 gallon stainless steel gas tanks (170+ Range)
Icom 402s radio
Garmin GPS Map 498 Depth/Fish finder (like new)
Dual MXD55 CD/Stereo
Dual batteries / New Marine Deep Cycle battery
New Trim Tab Pump
Twin 55 watt flood lamps on Tower
Twin swivel captain chairs
8 Gallon bait tank
EZ Loader tandem trailer with fresh Blue Paint w/new brakes
Fresh Blue paint on Stainless steel T-Top
New White paint on topside

Phone: (909) 597-1503 or mobile (909) 573-2125

Heck if you leave it at the Marina you can sell the trailer for at least 2k. All set except for radar.

Definitely Catalina Material.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

vince champion
04-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Thx ron how about this one. or is it too small?

$3500

1984 17' Invader Center Console Fishing Boat

Very reliable boat with 90 HP (2 Stroke Mercury outboard motor, currently docked @ King Harbor Marina in slip A7.

Comes with the following equipment:

Magellan hand held GPS
Furuno 6000 Fish Finder...And it finds the fish.
Bait Tank (Tilts up to allow the motor to fully trim up)
2 new batteries this year (Both within the last 6 months)
4 pole holder
2 gaffs & 1 large fishing net
Storage under front seat and inside of the console
VHF Marine Radio with 6' fiberglass antenna
Bimini Top (Not in photo as I didn't use it much)
2 Fish hold in front of boat
30 gallon internal fuel tank
Extra 6 Gallon fuel tank
1995 Custom made Aluminum Single axle trailer included

Slip may be transferrable with good credit, currect fee's are $145 per month.

No hagglers, this is a great boat.

Call Jerry for more information or a test drive, will provide a 10 mile test drive for serious buyers. (Rocky Point & Back) I drive it out, you drive it back.

Cap'n Ron
04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Vince,

Look at the options on each boat. The 22 is a fish hunting machine. Compare options. Plenty of hull and a hard top!

90hp is a little under powered if you have 3-4 on board. IMO. Then you'll want to upgrade the electronics so you start throwing money at it. And it's a 2 stroke.

22ft 3-4 guy's catalina, no problem.

I'd swing with the bigger hull but thats just me. And look at the 170 mile range! And you can tune your own engine and do your own oil changes.

CR

vince champion
04-17-2008, 03:04 PM
hmm good point ron. but the year of the boat scares me... 1973.. What should i look for when inspecting the boat?

Fish Dog
04-17-2008, 07:26 PM
hmm good point ron. but the year of the boat scares me... 1973.. What should i look for when inspecting the boat?

Big thing in most boats that age is dry rot in the wood stringers and wood core of the transom. Most fiberglass boats that age have the wood stringers and transom core.

http://powerboat.about.com/cs/fiberglassboats/a/dryrot_in_glass.htm

vince champion
04-17-2008, 09:29 PM
Thanks fishdog. How about this one i found this boat on craiglist and i like it but wondering is it worth the price.

this beauty is in excellent condition, She is approximately 19' by 6". Motor is 130hp yamaha, 45 gallon fuel cell, navi, fish finder, bilge pump, bait pump, dual batteries, battery selector, power trim, 2.5 gallon reservoir, and glavanized trailer, center console, this boat is very light and can be towed with any light truck, Currently registered until 2009.

I can probably pick it up for 5500.

Cap'n Ron
04-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Vince,

Whatever you do, sea trial it first in some crappy or windy conditions.
All boats ride nice on calm water.

Get it surveyed. Even for 5500 bucks.

Your life is worth more than a surveyors bill.

Shop the boats for sale for another month or two. I think it's about to get interesting.

i.e.,,,, some great deals are gonna start showing up.

CR

vince champion
04-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Will do ron. can you explain to me what does surveying do? Or where do i go to get that done?

Cap'n Ron
04-18-2008, 01:40 PM
A surveyor will inspect you pre purchase boat and tell you whats wrong with it.

Not affiliated with below but he is in MDR.

CERTIFIED MARINE SURVEYORS 800-898-4470

Google Marine Surveyors in LA.

The age of the 22FTR is not a concern since he took care of his boat by the looks of it. Call the guy and ask questions. Get it surveyed. Check out the hours on the engine. The cc you posted up reminds me of a Bassing boat. You have one. Go for the bigger hulls and leave it at the marina. Just My Opinion.

And again with 4-5 guys on board, you need a v-8.

CR

You only need a bigger boat when it's too late.

CR

Cap'n Ron
04-18-2008, 01:58 PM

Vince,

Your budget scares me for a Catalina bound boat.

Catalina bound I want as much boat as I can afford. Break out a few xtra thou and your choices improve.

2 stroke OB's are gonna be dinosaurs soon. You can replace or repower a v-8 inboard or I/O easy and affordable.

Replace the outboard and the price will skyrocket. In 45 yrs the only outboards I owned were Mercury Outboards and nothing over 25hp. (my current kicker, and all around great motor to have for the aluminum boats).

Hey, heres an idea. Lets go fish on my 20ft Shamrock. You'd love the ride of this boat and you can get a better idea of the boats that are available to you. I'm in Burbank. Shoot out to Marina Del Rey and have a day on the water.

Here are a few pics of 2ndCHANCE. Lot's of room on the stern.

vince champion
04-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Ya thanks for the info ron. I am willing to fork out a couple thousand if needed. Ill just put my electronic aside and use the $ on the boat. I was also looking at a cabalo 21footer. Awesome boat. and a 22 footer striper for 9k i think...

Is that your boat? If you are really willing to take me out so i know what im going against i would take that offer in a heartbeat!

thanks again.

Cap'n Ron
04-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Vince,

I can be at MDR by 3-4-5 am. Serious as a a heart attack. Lets go. Saturday or Sunday. I'm ready and the boat is ready. BR is going out also. We can buddy boat with him if he'll let us. BR?

So if Sat or Sun is good Let me know and I'll shoot ya a pm with my phone #.

cr

Tail Chaser
04-18-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm shooting for a mid week Cat trip.
Tinkering with the boat to much.
Undecided on where to mount my external anchor alarm buzzer.
Seats, Dash, The whole side of the boat had to be removed to install that little buzzer.

I think I'm kind of avoiding being robbed at the gas pump

Tail Chaser
04-18-2008, 08:06 PM
That would have been fun to meet up Ron.
Screwed around and didnt put my boat back together today.

Cap'n Ron
04-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Dang, I hate when that happens BR.

I've been holding off on going til the bigger ones get biting. That 100 hr service comes around to dang quick.

CR

Tail Chaser
04-18-2008, 08:44 PM
I just put in a new battery charger, New aux group 27 battery's and boxes. Relocated all three battery's forward a bit and 1ft out to the side away from the engine. Standing room in the bilge now.
Took the time to make all the wiring nice and purdy.
Took a long time getting the buzzer cable from the Furuno unit.
Down to the bunk.
Boats got so many bells and whistles there's no room for anymore wires.

vince champion
04-19-2008, 12:08 AM
Sounds good ron. I will give you a call Sat. I think i can only take you up on the offer sunday. Is sunday ok? Sorry to hear about your boat BR. Im sure once i get mine i will be taking things apart installing things and ill be stuck like you. HAHA Cant wait for sunday if you have time! Ron you gotta show me the ropes of ocean fishing. Thanks again!

vince.

Tail Chaser
04-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Sorry to hear about your boat BR. Im sure once i get mine i will be taking things apart installing things and ill be stuck like you.

Vince. Wasn't expecting a buddy boat offer for the weekend
Just need to have everything ready to go by Wednesday next week. Catalina Trip planned.
She got a bath and a wax today. Saturday. Just a buzzer to hook up now.

Vince,
From the pic. Looks like that 19fter your looking at. Sits pretty low to the water.
Boats older then 10 yrs. Really drop in price.
Loan company's don't usually want to finance boats that old.
That may have a lot to do with the price drop.
All boats need work.
Does not matter if its 3yrs old or 10 yrs.
Whats important is that the previous owner took care of it.
Need to REALLY look at what you plan to do with the boat.
Overnight trips? Short 1/2 day fishing only. Fishing Catalina, most likely have to return 1:00PM. Before the seas get ugly.
Having a comfy overnight boat. Gives you the option of returning the next day before the seas get ugly again.

Lot of boats built in the 80's were built with strong hulls. Sea Rays for example.
The older smaller ones sat high out of the water for there size.
With a budget of 5k
Makes your choices very limited.
At 20ft. Is when boats start to become nice

vince champion
04-22-2008, 11:53 AM
Thx for all your help. I am picking up a 20.5 foot 1994 striper center console walk around. The boat was well taken care of and looks really good. Hull is in pretty mint condition. Cant wait till i get all the electronics and head out towards the long beach break wall! Maybe once I get everything and get familiar with reading the ocean/swells We can plan a trip to catalina. Ill follow you guys since it be my first time. haha

VC

Tail Chaser
04-22-2008, 07:54 PM
Thats a very nice boat.
When are you picking it up?
What motor does it have?

vince champion
04-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks I am picking it up maybe sometime this week. Change some things around over the weekend hopefully i can take it out sunday to the break wall to give her a run.

The striper comes with a 140hp. I know its a little small but i figured 4 guys with equipment fish etc... i still can make it to the island even tho it might cost me 15 20 mins difference. I would rather spend the $ i had on a good, Wide, and Long striper boat then to have a smaller boat with a bigger motor. I will probably make the run to catalina at most 3 4 times a year. Its mainly for breakwall or 5 mile point fishing.

This is what it came down to

8 - 9 hours of fishing on a big roomy safe deck and lose 15 min driving time there and back from catalina
VS
8 - 9 hours of fishing on a smaller not so safe deck but have a extra 30 mins of fish time.

Of course i picked the roomy STRIPER! I seen many boats with 140hp that make it there and back easily. So ill just go with care.

Thanks again all, Cant wait till I pick up my new baby! FISH TIME!

VC

Tail Chaser
04-23-2008, 09:32 AM
140 Hp Should do a good job.
When the wind and waves are coming straight at you. Swells move like 18/20 mph.
You need to slow down anyway.
Small boat you will bury the bow.
Or just beat yourself and the boat up.

When the swells are coming from behind you.
That's when you noticed if your under powered.

If the swells are moving faster then you. 18/20 mph
As they pass under you. Now your on the backside of the swell. Bows going up.
This may get your boat totally bogged down. Struggling to move forward
You need the HP/TQ to overcome this effect.

You can always crank open the throttle and ride the waves in.
Lot of throttle control and timing the waves involved. Fun way to do it.

Boats don't have brakes.

Now when your riding these beastly wind driven swells home.
The boat just accelerates crazy down the face of them steep waves.

Even after you have pulled the throttle back.

Huge explosions of water as the bow slams down at the bottom of the wave.
Hoping not to bury the bow.
Fun with the right boat though :mrgreen:

Now your off the throttle. If your not quick enough back on the throttle to catch the same wave.
Or your underpowered.
The wave passes you. Now your back to the problem of going nose high and bogging down again on the backside of the wave.
Almost stalled with the next fast moving swell ready to swamp you.
This is all taking place like every 9 seconds :shock:

O'YEA..... Your 140HP should be fine.
What brand is it? :lol:

vince champion
04-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Wow that is alot of info to take in and learn. Greatly appreciate it BR. Very good information. The 140hp is a evinrude. It looks like its been well taken care of and has good compression. so hopefully it will do me no wrong. I am going to get a full tune up once i get the boat to make sure everything is smooth before i take it out. Thanks again.

Vince.

Tail Chaser
04-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Thats a good motor.
You dont encounter them sea conditions too often.
Mostly just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
I trust my 26fter so much.
I use to fish the back side of Catalina in the afternoon high winds.
Cross the Channels of Catalina and Channel islands in the late afternoon or evening.
Worst times again.
After going head on into 12 ft white capped seas for three hrs.
From the east end of Catalina to MDR after dark.
Decided that was Soooo..... not worth it. That crossing took 5 hrs.

Do mostly overnighters now.
Get to point B before the seas get ugly.
Catch the evening bite.
Catch the morning bite.
Then head back around 2:00 PM
The islands I usually return on day three

O'Yea, Cool thing I like about my boat.
Its never had a wave come over the bow.
Slapped the anchor a few times though :lol:
And no wave has ever even came close to going over the stern.
Did some testing for that on the backside of Cat :shock: :lol:

vince champion
04-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Nice, what boat do you have? How big of a motor?

Tail Chaser
04-24-2008, 08:00 PM
A 26ft Sea Ray
I just posted it in the Boat section of FNN.

Project Sea Ray almost finished

Motor is a Merc 5.7 260hp V8
Boat weighs 8k.
Does the job.
But I could use a little more power at times.