PDA

View Full Version : 4/14 nph wedge jetty + balboa

doyoufishmuch
04-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Went fishin after work yesterday down at the wedge and learned how little I know about fish species. Picked up some cheap shrimp and squid from the little market by my house and made my way down. Fished about 3/4 of the way down the jetty. It started a bit slow, but as high tide came up, the bite started pickin up a little. I think that first one is a cabezon, but im really not sure. If it is then im pretty sure its the first one i've caught:). He ran under the rocks and I thought i'd lost him, but the seaweed pulled my line from the opposite side and i was able 2 yank him up. that was nice. That little baby fish in the 2nd pic put up a HUUUUUUGE fight...... until i realized he was stuck in a jungle of seaweed and I was fighting the tidal flow:oops:. Moved down a bit and pulled up a fish i've never seen. Im sure someone knows what it is, but I haven't a clue. Little while later i pulled up another fish I couldn't put an exact name to. I could just guess and say its a perch, but i'd rather someone cure my ignorance.. Caught a few more little baby spotted sand bass after the sun went down, but had to use my camera batteries for my headlamp so figures I cant show off the one fish i do know..... Took the rest of my squid and went and fished the balboa pier for about an hour. got skunked, but it was all good. had a nice afternoon of fishing and thats all i can ask for on a workday.

Swivel
04-15-2008, 08:38 PM
nice selection of species. way to go. that first one is a cabazon and usually when they run under the rocks, I just give a little slack and it seems to relax em enough to come back out. Works for me most of the time. hope it helps.

fishingminds
04-15-2008, 08:57 PM
1) Cabezon....like the previous post

2) Sculpin....beware of spines

3) Buttermouth Perch....fun on lite tackle

4) Pile Perch???

Wingnut
04-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Nice variety, very well done! :cool:

getn2fishin
04-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Nice group of fish off the jetty...were you dropshottin?

KaliDawgFan
04-16-2008, 02:07 PM
#3 is a buttermouth perch and #4 looks like either a walleye perch or a shiner perch.

megafisher94
04-16-2008, 03:58 PM
nice fish! the second is a sculpin for sure and they have to be ten in. to keep but ae very good eatin.... wach 4 spines though:shock:

sansou
04-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks for the pics & report!

Nice assortment of jetty fish. Keep in mind that getting stung by a cabezon is not pleasant either....

CoffeaRobusta
04-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Very Nice! I fished the rocks on the CDM side last sat for naught but a tiny sanddab.

I agree with every one else.
1. Cabezon
2. Ca. Scorpionfish (which most people call a sculpin)
3. Buttermouth aka Black perch
4. I'd say the last is a demonic walleye!

Fish Dog
04-16-2008, 09:07 PM
#1 is a Cabezon and they have to be 15 inches...(also, closed January and February just FYI although you don't have to worry about that part until January again).

doyoufishmuch
04-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Sweet, thanks for all the info and feedback. Yea, I was just dropshotn little pieces of shrimp. Didn't even get a bite on squid, but the shrimp seemed to work well. Was able to release them all back with just a small lip piercing. idk, even if I do get keepers I like to toss em back anyway.....unless they can feed an army with a filet. Anyway, fished again their tonight with a nice little array, but im beeeeaaaaat. il post the report n pics when i get off 2mrw.