PDA

View Full Version : The Invasion of the 800-pound pinnipeds

sky
04-15-2008, 03:43 PM
info outdated :Confused:

FISH_HUNTER
04-17-2008, 05:26 PM
I USE TO LIKE THEM @ SEA WORLD AS KID BUT AFTER THOSE SALTY DOGS HAVE TAKEN 1 TOOOO MANY OF MY MOSS BACKS/LOG CUDDA I HATE THEM!!! DEATH TO THEM ALL!!!!!:2guns: :finger: J/K.......JUST SOME?:twisted:

Jikser
04-18-2008, 08:26 PM
are wrist rockets using paintballs allowed as deterrents?

one_leg
04-19-2008, 10:39 AM
When the larger sea lions haul out on the swimstep of a vessel they often damage the swimstep, and the hull as well.

One time while diving at Crescent Bay in Laguna Beach with 3 other commercial divers we had a crazy experience happen to us. We approached Seal Rock and due to the large number of Sea Lions that had hauled out there, we were being very cautious. We stayed far enough away to prevent them from leaving the rock and were having a great time watching them watch us. We circled the rock and as we slowly made our way to the southeast side a small ultralight airplane buzzed the rock from the northwest side causing all the sea lions to abandon the rock in unison.

HOLY COW!!!! Talk about exciting. We were immediately surrounded by about 20 very agitated sea lions. And wouldn't you know it, the one day I decided to spearfish for Halibut I had my speargun with me, uncocked at this point, and no camera. Talk about dissapoinment. I would have had some really great shots if I had only brought the camera that day instead of the gun. We were looking all around us and everywhere we looked there were sea lions blowing bubbles in our faces, a sign of aggression, bumping into us, and generally scaring the pi$$ out of us. We were lucky that they didn't become any more aggressive then they did because we were so outnumbered we wouldn't of stood a chance. I think they were at least as startled as we were. We all saw the plane at about the same time. It took no more than 3 or 4 seconds and all of them were in the water. I put the regulator in my mouth just in case. I looked down and it was wall to wall sea lions. Awesome!!!

It was an experience I will never forget. If the pilot intended to drive the sea lions off the rock or not I do know. I am not even sure he knew that we were on the other side of the rock because we never even saw him before he came flying over the rock. It seems as though he knew what would happen when he performed this stunt. He was probably in violation of the MMPA of 1972.

My friends couldn't believe what they had just seen afterwards. I was used to diving with lots of sea lions and seals, but not that many at once, and certainly never that close. I have had many a sea lion tug at my fins while night diving for lobster off the Palos Verdes Point and the Channel Islands. I felt pretty lucky that day to have been a witness to the event and also to have excaped unscatched.

One_Leg

Brian_GSC
04-19-2008, 10:43 AM
I thought a wrist-rocket or paintball gun was OK....

Can we yell at them? Or is that prohibited too b/c they are worried about their feelings getting hurt?!?! :p:evil::rofl:

one_leg
04-19-2008, 10:55 AM
It was really sad seeing a small juvenile sea lion with a large gash on it's neck from some fishing line in which it had become entangled. Me and another diver attempted to corral it into a net in order to lift it into our boats which we placed on either side of the boat it had hauled itself out on. It weighed no more than 60 to 70 pounds and looked to be very emaciated from not eating enough. We informed the Coast Guard and they informed us that that the Friends of the Sea Lion people were gonna rescue it right away. I may hate the way that they steal bait and fish from anglers, but it sickened me to see that suffering that the poor critter was going through. All alone, unable to feed, getting weaker by the minute. I hope it didn't die in somebodies sailboat and stink the place up. They sometimes haul out onto sailboats that have a shallow gunwale.

one_leg
04-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah SKY, that's what I'm talking about........only a LOT CLOSER!!!

I love the music that accompanied the video too. :cool:

Wagner was a great composer.

Tail Chaser
04-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Some 500lb bulls were sinking boats in there slips in Newport Harbor a few years back.
All the owners could do is put there lawn chairs out on the swim steps.
Sad sight seeing patio furniture floating around some big boats in there slips.
And a couple of sea lions putting a 6" bow in the swimstep.

Excuse me Mr Sea Lion.
But your sinking my 300K sportfisher.

Darn, He wont leave.
Guess I'll call the insurance Co.
Let them know the boat will probably be sunk by tomorrow :angry:

one_leg
04-20-2008, 12:11 AM
I would think that a set of those things that pop your tires when you drive into the exit in a parking lot woulod keep them at bay. That can't be illegal, can it?

Tail Chaser
04-22-2008, 08:17 AM
I think everything is illegal.
Except paying tax's

mg2969
04-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Sky, Jikser , et all

No I asked. Neither are cattle prodders. You can't even hit it with your paddle. (legally :rolleyes:)

Part 1: Mr Cardoro ?
I don't know Mr Joe Cardoro and am not really sure what organization he actually represents. However since his title of "Coordinator of the California Marine Mammal Stranding Network" seems like his agenda or focus would be to protect the sea lions and not your safety.

I am not trying to be disrespectful towards him just clearly state the facts as I see them.
of course maybe Im just wrong

Part 2: The law
Sea Lions as part of the original post are protected by FEDERAL LAW.
We should examine that. NOAA has a site directly dedicated to California Sea Lions.
What does it say
Heres is the Q & A from NOAA
http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mammals/Seals-and-Sea-Lions/Deterring-Pinnipeds.cfm

Within it you can find a pdf called "potential deterrance methods"

Found at
http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/Marine-Mammals/Seals-and-Sea-Lions/upload/Deter-Pinnipeds.pdf

Clearly states for property owners to include vessels at anchor
cattle prods - OK
sling shots - OK ( even gives a picture)
However if a sea lion was climbing aboard a 800lb sea lion was attempting to board a kayak rated for only 350lbs I would think that would be considered protection of property as opposed to "just fishing"

My 2 cents and how I see it

Jikser
04-23-2008, 06:47 PM
Mike,

thanks for the info..that means i get to keep my wrist-rocket in the yak after all, given only to use when necessary and I can't freeze paintballs no mo.. :)

Wil

one_leg
04-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Then in closing it puts a little footnote....see attachment. They got you by the ying yang no matter how you want to look at it.

That is one jury I'd actually like to serve on.

xtinkshun
04-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Had the same prob at Catalina when we'd go to the Isthumus for the weekend. The "locals" would dock themselves on our dingy when we were moored, and if threatened by something (perhaps a shark, etc) while out and about, they'd try and jump in.

ALWAYS keep at least 2 of those canned-airhorns with ya. As soon as ya see them (or, hopefully not to late as they board your "island"), BLAST THEM with it.

I haven't had this experience with a Yak yet, but with the ding, we'd get up in the morning and sometimes find a lil' sea lion lumbering/sunning/snoozing. I'd get down on the back steps of the sailboat and pull it toward the boat while hallering and be ignored. That was chance #1. After that, here comes the canned horn.

Ka-Ching!

However, I'd hate to think of having an 800 lb# critter suddenly trying to "beach" out of sheer panic, on my 9' Hobie. (Of course, by the time you realize what's going on...:shock:)

I thought about that which is why I bought a couple of the canned horns and will always keep one tethered/handy. The Ocean Gods would not want me to end up hysterical.

No.

Not good. (I'd have to reverse the earth's rotation as a result, and that'll just mess things up for everyone).

It's the Italian Woman in me - what can I say? :rofl:

Ang

mg2969
04-24-2008, 10:21 PM
I think the following would be a good rule of thumb

1. Use common sense
2. Do not intentionally provoke
3. Use the least harmful methods available to deter

deter - to discourage or restrain from acting or proceeding

4. If personally attacked, the laws really aren't gonna matter at that point

Really if this thing is gnawing on your leg or foot is anyone gonna give a rat's @$$ about the approved deterance methods ?

If your being attacked then the deterence did not work and thus should be declared open season on the attacking sea lion

Yellowfinsnapper
05-07-2008, 09:34 AM
I've been following this thread with a great deal of interest. This Sunday I fished out of 15th street on my kayak and two other guys set off in float tubes. In the early morning I saw no sign of SL but in the afternoon these monsters were everywhere in that derelict boat mooring opposite the peninsula. They were mostly on old barges or mastless cats and trimarans and one boat was practically sunk by four of them.

My biggest concern is with guys on float tubes. Has anyone had a run in with one of these things on a float tube??? Sounds to me that Fish and Game should really move on this issue as there is a very real and present danger that one of many recreational kayakers or float tubers will one day be attacked. The mother and child incident might just be the very beginning of a problem about to occur. I noticed that the SL are not intimidated in the slightest by our presence.............an come right up to the yak. I only noticed them in that boat mooring area and nowhere else in the bay....wonder why??

Overall, a scary situation.
Yellowfin.....

DropShotMan
05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
i got attacked when i was fishing in newport, the damn thing bit my paddle and bent it in half and then tried to get on my yak, scariest moment ever, almost bit my buddy in his yak to

Cap'n Ron
05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
Always thought you yakkers and tubers were a little off kilter. In the Ocean? Heck, your in the food chain out there. Plus them sea doggies behaving with impunity. Only a matter of time before an accident/attack gets really ugly.

Predators are starting to show up and it may be an interesting summer for the doggies. Just the nature of the beasties. Be prepared.

And in a boat thats one less worry I have to deal with. I can focus more on the traffic and waves.

Cap'n Ron
05-30-2008, 02:57 PM
That's a swimmer in the water from the main land to catalina. http://www.familykayak.com/gallery/Catalina-Channel-Relay

http://www.familykayak.com/gallery/albums/Catalina-Channel-Relay/finwhale5.sized.jpg (http://www.familykayak.com/gallery/Catalina-Channel-Relay/finwhale5?full=1)

Nope. Thats bait. A one biter by the looks of Moby.

one_leg
05-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Whales don't eat people. People eat whales.:Twisted:

And I cannot remember ever hearing about an Orca eating someone. I do remember hearing about Orcas assisting certain Indian tribes to make their catches in a bay up north somewhere. Anyone else remember the story/show?

O_L

P.S. I know that that isn't an Orca in the pic above.

xtinkshun
05-30-2008, 09:13 PM
Nope. Thats bait. A one biter by the looks of Moby.

That right there is BEAUTIFUL! Either a Blue or Fin. What a rush that had to be.

My pop was always nervous about whales everytime we crossed over to Cat on the sailboat. I told him, "Dude - they know you're there LONG before you see them" and sure enough, one would bust surface just to either side, just off the bow or just off the stern with plenty of room to spare. Always a thrill, too!

In a yak, it would be exhilarating to be that close. But, then, I'm a whale freak...yet smart enough to not get in the middle of a big ring of bubbles - a sure fire sign that Humpies are gonna be surfacing for chow!

Ang

DropShotMan
06-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Holy Cow! :Shocked:

I figured a sea lion would have a pretty nasty bite. It actually bent your paddle! wow!

How did you make it go away? Did it happen in August or September?

That's when the lady I spoke to said the males were the most aggressive.

Did you have fish on board your kayak?

Did you see the TV news clip of the girl who was wake boarding just outside the break wall and a sea lion jumped out of the water and bite hold of her in the thigh?

sky

i got away using one side of the paddle and paddling as fast as i could to a private dock and waiting for them to leave it was around october cuz we went out after my bday, an no fish aboard my buddy and i were just taking a paddle around the bay

ds2
06-10-2008, 11:56 AM
There is a guy on another board " Lokie" who posted some pictures of a sea lion attacking him and his friend while float tubing in Long Beach. I think it was last year, but he had several pics of the seal w/ its head out of the water, mouth open , going after his friend.

mg2969
06-15-2008, 10:05 PM
I believe the story went something like ...
Lokey was out with PaintnFish at the concrete jungle with PaintnFish's son. This sea lion had gone after PnFs son. I believe the story went something like PnF went to protect his son and Lokey lured it away then cast an iron at its head hooking it in the eye. The were all in float tubes.

Also in Cabrillo beach too the sea lions are becoming a nuisance.

Which is safer ????
Either way a sea lion has your leg, so really neither

paintnfish
06-20-2008, 06:22 PM
sea lion attacks us,..

LOL! just what i wrote in the thread subject, a damn sea lion attacked us today while we were tubing under the pier today, it was me, Ron and his son Ben, it was real scary cause the SL was going after Ben, actually after it was hell of funny but during the attack it was crazy and it wasnt once! it happen twice by the same dog, the first time Ben yelled out to me, when i turned around there was a dog just a foot away from him staring him down, i guess it was thinking "i could take him",..i yelled out to Ron for help and told Ben to start whacking it with his Rod, wam! wam! wam! the dog still was circling around little Ben, i tossed some squid to the dog to distract him and told Ben to head for the rocks, then the dog starting going after me and Ron, we were whacking away and then poof! the dog was gone, we had some laughs right after about it, Ben was stuck to us and wasnt going nowhere, thats cool,..so we started to fish again, catching some toads and pig rattlers, everything was back to normal, i hooked into a fat sculpin and that was when the dog breached the surface and he started going off on us rabid! he was trying to eat my reels, go after Ben and was bumping Ron, **** was just happening so fast, i tossed my sculpin at him which he just ripped apart! Ron and Ben headed to the rocks where the dog followed and was trying to push them out of the water! Ron jumped in his tube and got the dog to follow him, this is where i took the pic, too bad i didnt get a pic of when Ron got both his rods, waited for the dog to get real close and then POW! cracked him in the head with the butt of the rods, then it just went under, i was all quiet trying to get all my lines out of the tangles and ****, Ron called out to me and i responded "im ok, wheres the Dog?" which he then showed himself right in front of me, yikes, i put both my rods away and reeled in my lead head plastic all the way to the tip of the rod, i moved out to the open with the dog following me, he wasnt getting close enough for me to get a hit, now if you had a lead-head you know the idea i had, finally i stuck my fingers out into the water and called the pooch over, sucker charge right at 'em, now i was going to have only one shot at this and i better make a dead center hit! WACK! got the sucker on the head hook up! line snaps and he was under again, now we were quiet for a second to see if i got him where i was aiming, not 10 seconds pass the dog comes out the water with my fire tiger pattern fish trap plastic with the yellow lead head stuck right in his eye! BOOYAH! that dog was shaking his head and called it a day, cause he went under and we never saw him again,..man, it was a scary ordeal, because if it was me and Ron it be cool, but little Ben was there, so we had to do something to get this dog off us,..so if you see a dog with my plastic it in its eye, kill that rabid SOB, we went straight to fishing right after, but still it kinda killed the day, we kept looking over our shoulders for that dog, this is the first time something like this has ever happen to me, it was pretty crazy.

Im not really a violent person but would not hesitate sticking a gaff in
it's head if it happened again, should be no difference as self defense
in a attempted rape.

fish assasin 1
06-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Man I never heard of anything like that, crazy stuff. How about pepper spray, for when they pop their heads out of the water? I know it wouldn't last long but it may burn enough for them to leave you alone for a while. How about painting you kayak to look like a great white??? lol.