PDA

View Full Version : Bishop Canals?

FishTaco21
04-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Has anyone ever fished the Bishop canals? I know I have always seen some canals when I drive up 395 in Bishop and make a right on Line St. Has anyone ever fished these canals that are just outside the residential area? These canals are a few minutes before you get to the Owens River... right at the edge of the residential areas.

Let me know if you have ever fished it and what has come out of there. I have always been curious and wanted to try it out next time I go.

Badfish2
04-15-2008, 12:27 AM
I have, and there are Bass in there and some trout. Lots of locals hit up those canals

Sierra_Smitty
04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
I've personally seen or caught bass, bluegill and carp. Some canals have more fish than others and a few have some nice browns from what I hear.

Badfish2
04-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Yeah, i've heard about the browns in there. I haven't caught any though. There's a nice canal on the way up 395 that I keep seeing that I'm going to give a shot, it's not too far after Independence.

FishTaco21
04-15-2008, 12:54 AM
Tthanks for the info so far. On my visit last May, my brothers and I stopped by for a few minutes and saw some huge fish in there. We couldn't verify what type of species they were, and they didn't look like carp. There was a bunch of junk in there and it was mid day and those fish didn't want to have any of our different baits.

I don't know what was in there but I know it was big. My older brother, 35, was jumping up and down like a little girl and scared them off. And this is my thuggish brother so you know those fish were gigantic.

Badfish2
04-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Try using baby night crawlers on a small snell hook when they get hard to catch

fish'n fool
04-16-2008, 03:58 PM
The canal I fished (last year for the first time) was on the street just behind K-Mart. Not sure of the name. The canal comes from the north crosses under the street, parallels the street for about 300 yards before turning and heading south. There were lots of trout. Largest caught was about 16 inches. Walking south from the road, there were many schools of fish. I used a holographic rainbow trout Panther Martin. It was the hot ticket that day. Caught and released probably 15 in 1-1/2 hrs. Would be useful to use a long rod (8 ft), as the sides of the canal are sloped and keeping the line out in the middle of the canal works best because there were a lot of weeds and stuff on the edges.

Badfish2
04-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Yeah that rainbow panther martin is definitely the ticket, I bought 50 bucks worth of that lure for the opener.

jworthylal42
04-16-2008, 08:34 PM
there is place called buckley ponds. coming up 395 turn right on Line st and drive just past the cemetary and make a right on the first dirt road then follow the creek till you see the handicap ramp and your there lots of Bass and bluegill also caught carp and catfish

Badfish2
04-17-2008, 01:38 AM
there is place called buckley ponds. coming up 395 turn right on Line st and drive just past the cemetary and make a right on the first dirt road then follow the creek till you see the handicap ramp and your there lots of Bass and bluegill also caught carp and catfish

Cool man, thanks for the tip. I'll check it out. That cemetary area is freak as hell. I fish that part of the owens there where the bridge is.. nice spot for some trout.

retired/lasd
04-17-2008, 06:30 AM
Have never fished the canals but am curious if you can legally fish them in the off season. I had people say yes and no.

troutslayer05
04-17-2008, 04:27 PM
There is a canal that is just down the street from Izaak Walton park that they normally throw some trout in. Ive had good days there when the creek has not been so good to me. Like shootin FIsh in a Barrell ;0)

Sierra_Smitty
04-17-2008, 04:42 PM
Have never fished the canals but am curious if you can legally fish them in the off season. I had people say yes and no.

The only waters designated as open for trout fishing during the off-season are the owens, PVR and the newly opened waters like Hot Creek and the Walker River. The off-season is actually a closure of the "General Trout Season" so if you're ripping buzz baits in a canal clearly fishing for largemouth bass where LMB are known to exist, you wont' get a ticket. I'd probably be careful dunking a crawler in one of the canals that has a lot of browns in it though. Still kind of wishy washy though since the canals aren't specifically mentioned anywhere in the regs...that I've seen at least. First time I see a warden out and about I'll ask.

Badfish2
04-18-2008, 01:03 AM
I agree, be careful what you're fishing with. You get a trout to strike a nightcrawler it doesn't matter if you were going for bass.

jworthylal42
04-20-2008, 02:54 PM
here is a pic of my buddy Rob fom opening day last year we stopped at buckley ponds for a little brake from trout fishing and he landed this nice largemouth

brn2fis
04-23-2008, 12:30 PM
I have a friend that lives in Bishop we go to the end of his street and go either left or right and fish the canals with crickets for all the Browns you want to c & r. Lots of fun

Seatech
04-24-2008, 01:52 PM
here is a pic of my buddy Rob fom opening day last year we stopped at buckley ponds for a little brake from trout fishing and he landed this nice largemouth

Very nice!!! I love bass fishing up there.

Scattered pockets of small mouth as well from Haiwee up to Bishop !

Ed

Sparky70
04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
Haiwee closed to all fishing now, bummer! :( :( :(

SP70

BishopTrouter
04-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Very nice!!! I love bass fishing up there.

Scattered pockets of small mouth as well from Haiwee up to Bishop !

Ed

I never got around to fishing Haiwee before it closed... it sucks because that looked like an all species lake. U ever catch anything there? I'm yet to catch a smallmouth up there but im gona try to change that this season.

Seatech
04-25-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah I did fish there a number of times before it closed and we found LMB, SMB, bluegill, Sacramento perch and rainbows. "Rumor has it", if you have the LA Water & Power connections you "may" be able to get in there.

Hey Sparky70, I see you live in Ridgecrest, do you know Daryl S. ?

Ed

2fly4trout
04-30-2008, 05:04 PM
hey guys...i used to intern for a company that did some work at haiwee reservoir...although i never got the chance to fish there (my boss thought it wasn't a good representation of the company haha) alot of the DWP guys fished it and they pulled out just carp and lmb from what i remember

usmcfisherman
04-30-2008, 07:02 PM
i fish the canals down line st.but mostly browns and rainbows.some brooks are caught there to.never seen bass in it.