PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding 300 yd rule from shore

bonitoboy
04-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Everyone,

I had a question to private boaters and yakkers. I have a small inflatable that I take out of harbors, my favorite is redondo. I have known in the past from the harbor patrol that I cannot fish within 300yds of shore. However, I notice in these forums that private boaters and yaks frequently post pictures showing that they are definitey not outside 300yds. What is the deal? Are kayakers allowed to fish within 300yds of shore?

bonitoboy
04-14-2008, 02:58 PM
Went and found out the answer. In LA county beaches, you cannot operate a boat within 300yds of shore. Some beaches allow launching your boat from shore, but you cannot loiter and must head out past the 300 yd marker. Do not know if this is true in other counties. If anybody knows if this is the same in SD and up north, I would greatly appreciate the info.

mg2969
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM
hmm
Thats weird, in Long Beach, obviously part of LA County, but I think they run their own beaches, as opposed to part of LA County, you can fish outside the swim buoys which is @ 100yard ( if that). Alamitos bay @ mothers beach and the "gondolas" the swim zone (aka no boat zone) is marked off.

Fish Dog
04-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Just a guess but I think the concern is power boats. They don't want spinning props anywhere near the shore (for the swimmers).

fish4keep
04-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Just a guess but I think the concern is power boats. They don't want spinning props anywhere near the shore (for the swimmers).

Don't know about other places but this is the case in LBC... Kayaks and tubers are allowed to fish within the bouys but if you got some sort of powered props its got to be outside the swim area...

Carnivore
04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
You can not launch a power boat or run a power boat with in 300 yards of a public beach. You can launch a yak or inflatable as long as you are not endangering swimmers.

You can fish any were as long as it doesn't cause a problem with swimmers (or is posted not too). In other words you can surf fish but if swimmers get close the Life guards will most likely say something.