PDA

View Full Version : can some one help me on Pier fishing at Santa Monica

GotUFish
04-14-2008, 11:46 AM
just wondering if anybody can give me good tips on fishing at Santa Monica Beach Pier. I would like to catch something other than sardines or mackerel. I saw this guy get a Halibut the other day any tip would help thanks.

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-14-2008, 03:56 PM
just wondering if anybody can give me good tips on fishing at Santa Monica Beach Pier. I would like to catch something other than sardines or mackerel. I saw this guy get a Halibut the other day any tip would help thanks.

Carolina rig anchovies or sardines w/a 18" leader...15-20 lb test.

Fish the section that drops lower by marissa sol restaurant (or whatever it's called) towards the end of the pier...you'll most like get halibut,sculpin, sandbass or sandsharks there.
It's the one on the right if your walking "out" on the pier.

There is also allot of sandbass up under the pier near the pillings but you need to cast up under the pier itself which takes quite a bit of casting skills and you get snagged up allot, I wouldn't recomend starting that way.

Use the aforementioned method, use about 1/2 anchovie...go smaller if your not hooking the fish when they bite...if you only get small fish, go bigger on the bait.

Cast out, wait a bit, then slowly work it in ("stitch it").

Good luck,
Gary