PDA

View Full Version : Broken Pole/spooled line at Belmont

crystalmath79
04-13-2008, 03:54 AM
Went fishing at Belmont Pier Friday. About 20 mins after arriving, I hooked into something using a strip of squid and testing out a circle hook for the first time. Thing was huge, whatever it was. It kept peeling out line no matter how much I fought back. I was about to get spooled when I started cranking as hard as I can. Next thing I know, CRACK goes the pole and the line goes sayonara. I figure it probably was a bat ray because I've caught shovelnose guitar fish before with no problems. Wasn't disappointed because I enjoyed the fight. Can't wait to go back. Tight lines

Zombie Bass ATTACK
04-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Nice man ya it was for sure a bat ray their instinct is to spool you haha..once they pick up your bait they start flapping those wings and they are off into the night!! those bad boys get up to 200p easily thats why you got spooled it was a big boy..good luck next time and the main reason you broke your pole so gnarly cuz you started cranking..which is instinct for some peeps but it doesnt matter it was all in a fun time..be sure to set your drag and let the fish fight.;):p

thanks for the report,
LARBEAR

megafisher94
04-13-2008, 04:38 PM
hope is wasnt one of your good rods... what kind of line did you have on it????

crystalmath79
04-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Naw, I've had that rod for ages. It's a 7 ft, medium action rod. I'm not disappointed it broke because the fight was so fun and I have other rods I can set up with the reel. The line was 15lb mono. In the past, it has had the strength to pull up Shovelnose Guitarfish by hand up the pier and it certainly didn't give out this time. Water conditions seemed really bad when I was there. I believe it was red tide because the water was a coppery, brown color the whole time I was there.

IslandBoi
04-14-2008, 09:25 AM
sucks about the broken gear but I bet the fight was fun..... Now you have a goal, catch that bastage ...

gletemfeelsteelgary
04-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Sopunds like a bat ray....I've been tagling with those bigger units for the past few weeks, welcome to my world...

Even when you lose 'em, It's still a great experience, a whole lotta fun...
Sorry bout the pole but it makes for a good story.

Nail 'em,
Gary

ghetto dad
04-14-2008, 10:33 AM
Sopunds like a bat ray....I've been tagling with those bigger units for the past few weeks, welcome to my world...

Even when you lose 'em, It's still a great experience, a whole lotta fun...
Sorry bout the pole but it makes for a good story.

Nail 'em,
Gary

lol..hey gary, i have a master reel for sale...:rofl:

thanks for the report man...sorry about the broken rod.....

one_leg
04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Hey man, sorry about the gear failure.

lol..hey gary, i have a master reel for sale...:rofl:

thanks for the report man...sorry about the broken rod.....

GD, don't be a dork. Ooops,too late..........:lol:

crappiemike
04-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Its Better Losing Your Line Then Your Stick! Nice Report...