PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Choosing Salt/Freshwater Boat--

sidified
04-12-2008, 01:38 PM
I've only had freshwater boats but I'd like to find a boat I could also use in saltwater (inshore fishing only). The Crestliner Canadian looks like it would work out but is it just plain stupid to take an aluminum (sinkable) boat into the bay?---I know aluminum is cheaper but are there similar values in other boats? I would sure appreciate any insights the board can offer--Sid

Fish Dog
04-12-2008, 02:36 PM
Might want to consider a Bayrunner. I have a 19 foot center console and it has foam flotation under the deck and in the double sides.

http://www.bayrunnerboats.com/

welder
04-12-2008, 03:44 PM
I've only had freshwater boats but I'd like to find a boat I could also use in saltwater (inshore fishing only). The Crestliner Canadian looks like it would work out but is it just plain stupid to take an aluminum (sinkable) boat into the bay?---I know aluminum is cheaper but are there similar values in other boats? I would sure appreciate any insights the board can offer--Sid

You might want to look at , Tradewind Inflatables and Marine, over in Costa Mesa. See Kenny Leverich for Alloy boat sales KLAMATH and PACIFIC they both have flotation .
I run a Pacific 2325CC plate alloy boat 1/4" hull thickness.

There # is 949-631-7334 Tell him Les from Texas sent you. :D

More info on Alloy boats, www.aluminumalloyboats.com

Fish Dog
04-12-2008, 11:20 PM
You might want to look at , Tradewind Inflatables and Marine, over in Costa Mesa. See Kenny Leverich for Alloy boat sales KLAMATH and PACIFIC they both have flotation .
There # is 949-631-7334

Good advise! That's where I bought my Bayrunner in 2000. Good people there, Especially Kenny, he'll take care of you. I believe the Klamath's are real close to the same specs as the Bayrunner's.

GeordyBass
04-13-2008, 10:50 AM
Boston Whalers are great for both...if you considered a used 17' montauk and buy a new motor it will run you up to about 15k....

sidified
04-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Thanks guys for your input---I ended up purchasing a fiberglass 17'3'' Trophy, center console with a 90 hp Merc 4 stroke---I couldn't be happier---Cuts through chop like 'butta', trolls down to .8 knots, sips fuel, is super stable and agile---thanks again for taking the time to respond--
Sid

vanillagurilla
04-22-2008, 06:11 PM
i used to take my 12' valco aluminum offshore about 3 miles out of dana point. lol never had a problem,

Tail Chaser
04-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks guys for your input---I ended up purchasing a fiberglass 17'3'' Trophy, center console with a 90 hp Merc 4 stroke---I couldn't be happier---Cuts through chop like 'butta', trolls down to .8 knots, sips fuel, is super stable and agile---thanks again for taking the time to respond--
Sid

Good Choice.
Was going to say something like a 18ft or 20ft center console.
I went with the bigger sizes so you could venture offshore a little further in comfort.

Fish Dog
04-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Sid

Let's see a pic!