PDA

View Full Version : Bishop, Intake 2, 5/11-5/13

fisheral
05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
My first report for the Eastern Sierra season, hopefully not my last. Intake 2 was the target. I've been going a few times each year for a while now, so I was anxious to get back. I mostly C&R all DFG stockers except big ones, as my main target are the Alpers.

Friday- Started out after noon, the Alpers hadn't arrived yet so just walked around a bit. Caught a few DFG stockers and finally the Alpers arrived. Started throwing Thomas Buoyants at the front of the lake where they put them in and got nothing. Not even a bite. Most of the fish either left the area or went right to the bottom to take a nap. :) Only a few were taken in the area, so the fish weren't biting as they have in the past. Decided to walk down towards the dam to see if any had swam down there yet. Caught a few more stockers, but no Alpers...yet.

Saturday- Started off about 7:30 AM, went back to find the Alpers. I know where quite a few of them like to hang out after stocking, so went to the spot to see if any were around. As in the past, the Alpers were there. Caught some stockers again. I was throwing out a TB Cyclone red/gold(1/6oz) and right in front of me finally got an Alpers to bite. Weighed about 5.5 lbs. Switched to a white mini-jig with orange Power Worm as I was noticing the fish weren't chasing the lures as much anymore. Tossed it out a few times and got a bigger Alpers to bite. It weighed about 6 lbs. My personal best is around 6 lbs, but I'm trying to join the 8lb class, which is getting a little harder as they don't stock any bigger ones as much. Fished a little bit more but the bite slowed down quite a bit. Went to Sabrina to take a look and eat lunch. Fished for about an hour right in the front below the dam and caught one stocker. Went back to Intake to see if the bite picked up. Caught a few more stockers but couldn't manage another Alpers.

Sunday- Only fished for about 3 hours in the morning before heading home. Caught a few more stockers but couldn't get any Alpers to bite. Saw quite a few of them but they weren't biting.

My goal for every trip is at least one Alpers, so this was another success. For those that have never eaten an Alpers, you are missing out. Quite a few Alpers were put in, but I would guess that less than half were caught so there were quite a few left for the week. Overall, I believe I caught at least a limit each day. The weather was nice for the most part, but it got windy in the afternoons and played a part in the bite. A great trip is always had though when catching an Alpers. If anyone has any questions about fishing Bishop and Alpers, you can post them here and I'll try to answer them. The season is just beginning and I know there are others here who'll have there own adventures, so I'll try answer any questions before you might want to take a trip.

SDJHawk
05-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Ok I'll be the first to take the bait Al. :oops: Is this SPOT by the inlet over by the dam? Great report and thanks for the pics.

fisheral
05-14-2007, 11:13 PM
No. I don't fish that spot very much. It's usually taken by the time I get there anyways. I rarely see people catch any big ones there, but I know people do so I'm thinking it's more of a very early morning or late evening spot. Plus I fish almost exclusively TB's, so it's not a very good spot for that since it can be shallow and the water can run too fast for a good presentation.

Greg Madrigal
05-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Nice report, thank you for the generous offer to help your fellow boardsmen. That's what it's all about IMO.

GM

Troutman65
05-15-2007, 12:47 AM
Wow, Nice trout you caught!!!!!

Thanks for your great report w/ pics.

Beancounter
05-15-2007, 09:59 AM
Those are some beauties 8)

DreStyle
05-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Damn ... you found the big boy ... or girls as the case may be ...

BishopTrouter
05-15-2007, 08:24 PM
those are some nice fish

DanKBecker
05-15-2007, 08:43 PM
Shore fishing? Dude....you got to PM me and give me some hints. Everytime I fish there its always DFG stockers.

sierraslam
05-16-2007, 07:06 AM
How did you know Alpers was going to stock on that exact day? Nice fish! My nephew pulled a 5 pound Alpers trout from Convict and it tasted great! The meat is always pink and there is a nice fat layer on the belly. Gota get back and get me sum! good fishin!

SeaSick17
05-16-2007, 09:51 AM
what at TB's? I am heading up there the first week of June. Any tips? I have never done well at PVR, in fact I think I have caught maybe 2 fish in all the years I have fished there!!! Any word on the river?
Thanks George

fisheral
05-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Alpers schedule can be found here- http://www.adoptacreek.org/

It's generally every other week for the various places. South Lake and Lake Sabrina have their own schedules and you would have to ask them but they may not say exactly, and they might not even know for sure when they get a stocking. Usually Alpers are pretty good about sticking to the schedule, but sometimes a bonus stocking by Edison can replace or move another stocking to the next week. Also truck problems can come up. Usually the stockings are always on Fridays, but it isn't guaranteed. The best time to catch Alpers is right after the stocking, within the first week. Since they only put so many in(I know exactly how many they put in this time and saw them) they will only last so long. Since stockings are every other week, those Alpers are "supposed" to last two weeks. That's why if you read the fishing reports(like from WON) the fishing is sometimes described as "slow" because Alpers were put in two weekends prior to the report. I suggest not reading too much into the reports as they aren't as accurate as they should be. I've been up there on weekends where I see barely any fish caught the whole weekend at Intake, and that's not an exaggeration, yet they still report "good" fishing. It may have only been good right after a DFG stocking, which could be any day of the week. If a stocking goes in Monday(which they have and I've seen it also), the fishing could be great until Wed, then the rest of the week(end) could be really bad. And yes, the Alpers pink meat taste great. I almost don't like eating "regular" trout as much since I've been spoiled with Alpers.

TB's- Thomas Buoyants. I use them exclusively. Never failed me whenever the fish are biting. A lot of knowledgable fisherman up there use them, and a lot of people still don't know about them because they don't get mentioned as much sometimes in the reports because we don't always report are all catches since it's not as special anymore as it is for others to report their fish.