PDA

View Full Version : I need alil help aka tips on surf fishing

Zombie Bass ATTACK
04-10-2008, 11:45 PM
I surf fished for the first time like about a week ago at newport beach i started near newport pier and worked my way all the down to balboa jetty and nothing!!
i was using a freshly newly bought IMA heavy surfer 90 (sardine) i heard this lure was decent and it should be for the price i paid haha. so i was fishing it using a slow retrieve method all the way down till i hit balboa jetty but one thing i think i was doing wrong was overcasting it haha because most of my friends that are experienced surf fisfermen tell me most 1st time surf fishers over cast thier baits!! soo ya thats probably the only thing i was doing wrong i was use my curado 100 6p floralcarbon and my curado 200 40p braid with a 3ft leader of 8p mono.

So yeah i need some help fellas im not a begginer fishermen ive been religously fishing since i was basically born i just need help in this catagory of fishing..i have some tips ive been getting i know LC is a great bait i heard megabass=ITO VISION is good also and mega bait spoon and bass trix fry minnow drop shoting.I basically am a picky fishermen too i will settle for some surf perch every now and then if im bored but im basically gonna be hunting flattys .and all i fish is newport so any info/tips will be great and very appreciated from you guys i just needa know some good spots in the newport area!

thanks for your time fishing brothers,
LARBEAR :)

megafisher94
04-11-2008, 07:59 AM
malibu, corona del mar, the wedge, bolsa chica(surf and jettys) are all good spots to fish.
as for gear you COULD have the right lure, but not the right presentation so change up the speeds, colors, ect.
once you find your favorite spot you'll know right where to go and what to do:cool:

fish4keep
04-11-2008, 12:52 PM
There's no such thing as "overcasting it" with a jig. Eventhough you cast past, eventually you'll be back when reeling it in. Ditto on the presentation though. Maybe your bait is moving too fast (with the help of the wave) or maybe it's not fast enough. Keep on experimenting. Here's a tip... If you're looking for flatties, instead of just blind casting out and reeling back in, look for structures including holes, grass, rocks. Flatties likes these area since they hold bait fish (food).

Zombie Bass ATTACK
04-11-2008, 01:08 PM
There's no such thing as "overcasting it" with a jig. Eventhough you cast past, eventually you'll be back when reeling it in. Ditto on the presentation though. Maybe your bait is moving too fast (with the help of the wave) or maybe it's not fast enough. Keep on experimenting. Here's a tip... If you're looking for flatties, instead of just blind casting out and reeling back in, look for structures including holes, grass, rocks. Flatties likes these area since they hold bait fish (food).

ya im not seeing much structure if any at all in newport surf other then structure near the jetty as in rocks .where would i look for such structure?? in newport:confused:

Cangler
04-11-2008, 01:34 PM
Look for birds feeding and bait boils too ... dont presume that hali's
sit on the bottom

Zombie Bass ATTACK
04-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Look for birds feeding and bait boils too ... dont presume that hali's
sit on the bottom

Oh i know they crash on bait they are very aggressive fish!! i just need to know good times when to surf fish also?? i heard like 2 hours befor low tide and 2 hours after high.

olfishergal
04-11-2008, 02:45 PM
Look up and read the first thread on here, Surf Perch 101........lots of help and tips for catching all kinds of surf fish.........good luck OFG

Nessie Hunter
04-11-2008, 03:01 PM
Look up and read the first thread on here, Surf Perch 101........lots of help and tips for catching all kinds of surf fish.........good luck OFG

Beat me to it Chris.. :rofl::rofl:

Thats pretty much a no brainer.. Look around, lots of info.

Cangler
04-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Time on the water ......... put your hours in fishing ... there's no quick fix ..

CoffeaRobusta
04-11-2008, 06:00 PM
ya im not seeing much structure if any at all in newport surf other then structure near the jetty as in rocks .where would i look for such structure?? in newport:confused:

Finding structure in the surf is hard.....I'm no expert at it but....how the water looks and behaves reveals structure, and low tide reveals structure.

olfishergal
04-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Beat me to it Chris.. :rofl::rofl:

Thats pretty much a no brainer.. Look around, lots of info.

we gotta go fish Nessie........dam price of gas has me sidelined this weekend.......:evil:

Skyler
04-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Not a lot of structure in that stretch of sand, except along the wedge. All I ever seem to catch there are BSP's, and not very big ones either. If you head down the wedge you should be able to russle something up on the larger lures though.