PDA

View Full Version : newbie question

fishin' vince
05-14-2007, 07:45 PM
i've been a freshwater bass fisherman for many years now and i am interested in fishing for sea bass: calicos, sandies, white sea bass, etc... i've never been on a fishing boat and i don't know what i need. i have two heavy swimbait rods with baitcasters that have 20-30 lb test on them. what else do i need? do i need deck boots? i want to know what the essentials are. i've searched the net, but can't seem to find what i need.
thanks - vince

Funjunkie74
05-14-2007, 09:28 PM
i've been a freshwater bass fisherman for many years now and i am interested in fishing for sea bass: calicos, sandies, white sea bass, etc... i've never been on a fishing boat and i don't know what i need. i have two heavy swimbait rods with baitcasters that have 20-30 lb test on them. what else do i need? do i need deck boots? i want to know what the essentials are. i've searched the net, but can't seem to find what i need.
thanks - vince

Vince, we're all newbies at one time. I learned a lot from asking many questions. My best recommendation would be to locate and go to your local tackle shop. These are the people that make a living through fishing. Who better would know...

My starter reel was a Penn 500 jigmaster on a simple Ugly Stick. You can find bundles for under $80 or so. It's cheap and a good start.

Of course there's a million other reels and even more opinions on what's "the best". But I think, you can start here and learn more and find out what works for you as time passes on.

Good luck!

n1ckxlam
05-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Funjunkie put you in the right place, dont worry about the noob thing. You will find that your LMB tactics will transpose very nicely in the salt. If you have medium-medium heavy flippin sticks, those will work very well for bass. Drop shot, lead headed plastics, and live bait will all work.

you dont need deck boots, ive seen veteran folk that wear sandals. Sneakers or tennis shoes with good grip will do you just fine.

shoot me a PM if you have any questions at all.

Nick

DavidE
05-15-2007, 05:38 PM
Deck boots are the bomb!!! You dont really need them but they make you look cool!!

My first two White seabass were landed on an ABU Garcia 5500C w/20#test on a Heavy action Bass stick.

Anyways ask questions here, at the tackle shop and get on a boat and learn from experience. Deckhands will help you alot and if you tip them good the next time you're on the boat they'll treat you even better.

Get ready to spend cash on tackle!!! 2/0 hooks, 4/0 hooks, # 1 hooks, #2 hooks, flyline hooks, ringed flyline hooks, Mutu hooks, Circle Mutu hooks, Gorilla hooks, ringed Gorilla hooks, Torpedo weights from 2oz - 8oz, swim baits, grubs, leadheads,sliding egg sinkers, glow sliding egg sinkers, glow leadheads, painted leadheads, leadheads w/eyes, leadheadsw/out eyes, and for starters that should about do it I think ...

Peace

Funjunkie74
05-15-2007, 06:47 PM
Deck boots are the bomb!!! You dont really need them but they make you look cool!!

My first two White seabass were landed on an ABU Garcia 5500C w/20#test on a Heavy action Bass stick.

Anyways ask questions here, at the tackle shop and get on a boat and learn from experience. Deckhands will help you alot and if you tip them good the next time you're on the boat they'll treat you even better.

Get ready to spend cash on tackle!!! 2/0 hooks, 4/0 hooks, # 1 hooks, #2 hooks, flyline hooks, ringed flyline hooks, Mutu hooks, Circle Mutu hooks, Gorilla hooks, ringed Gorilla hooks, Torpedo weights from 2oz - 8oz, swim baits, grubs, leadheads,sliding egg sinkers, glow sliding egg sinkers, glow leadheads, painted leadheads, leadheads w/eyes, leadheadsw/out eyes, and for starters that should about do it I think ...

Peace

Oh, hey, don't forget:
Metal jigs, lead jigs, trolling lures, splasher lures, plastic lures, spoons, feathers, tackle bags, tackle boxes (multiple), reel covers, reel bags, braid line, mono line, flouro leader, butterfly jigs, jig stick, gloves, fish weigh, lip grippers, Mexican fishing license, bonine, dramamine, beer, cheeseburger, dorito chips...

DavidE
05-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Oh, hey, don't forget:
Metal jigs, lead jigs, trolling lures, splasher lures, plastic lures, spoons, feathers, tackle bags, tackle boxes (multiple), reel covers, reel bags, braid line, mono line, flouro leader, butterfly jigs, jig stick, gloves, fish weigh, lip grippers, Mexican fishing license, bonine, dramamine, beer, cheeseburger, dorito chips...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thats so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!