PDA

View Full Version : Dum question, but have to ask!

wd91guy
04-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Im a newbie boater, love fishing, sometimes wish i bought a cruiser rather than my ski boat. Have a 23ft V drive, Deep V hull, Centurion Typhoon Wakeboard boat, and want to know the following.

1. is it Catalina/Avalon capable? (Gas 36 gallon capacity, Scorpion 330)
2. Can i fish off of it?
3. Would YOU fish off of it?
4. Anything you can add? (thats not mean! hahaha)

Albert

Nessie Hunter
04-10-2008, 05:53 PM
No reason why it cant do Catalina.... 23' should be OK...

Make sure all your safety equip is up to date and a GPS & Marine radio are a must for offshore trips.. Never know...

Make sure you know what kind of mileage you get 36 gal doesnt go far....

Does it look like this????

Fish Dog
04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
What Nessie said. In addition, I'd worry about freeboard if its one of those that sits close to the water, could be a problem if it gets rough. (I'm not familiar with that kind of boat so I don't know how much freeboard it has) Also, you might want to get a Vessel Assist membership. A tow back from Catalina would cost like $500 - $600 or so (at least) if you don't have it. Other then that, you'd be good to go.

GeordyBass
04-10-2008, 08:44 PM
dang those cost $35k huh?If it has a V8 then im guessing it gets more or less 13gph???? if it does maybe you can make it...always look out for rough seas.;)

megafisher94
04-10-2008, 08:51 PM
if its a boat you can and will fish it!!!:twisted:

fishncatalina
04-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Just bring extra fuel with you.

It's about $5 a gallon here on the island.

Tail Chaser
04-10-2008, 11:50 PM
If it floats. You can fish off it :)
36 gal tank, May only pull about 30 gals before running out. I would say a good safe range at 1 1/2 mpg is 45Miles?

Make the crossing, Top your tank at Avalon.
Hope your boat doesn't sit to low to the water.
May want to take her for a inshore fishing trip first.
See how she handles a little whitecap.

Funny, Just talked to a guy at Costco today.
He tried for Catalina in a 18 fter.
Ran out of gas at the halfway point.
He rowed back. Even after the Coast Guard showed
Guy looked kind of buffed :rofl:

Just noticed your a Newbe boater.
Try a little afternoon 15kt winds with the usual 3 to 5 ft swell.
That would give you an idea of what to expect making Island trips.
Those conditions are pretty much every afternoon after 3:00 PM

flytyingreloader
04-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Not new to boats, but have a new one (Triumph 170CC). Like the GREAT recommendations posted here, I'm going to proceed very slowly before trying ANY offshore stuff. If any. Catalina would be the absolute limit for me, and ideal conditions/island wave shadow launch point would figure highly in the mix. Murphy's Law gets no plea bargains, and when it comes to boats and sea conditions--Murphy can be naively optimistic.

dixoncider
04-11-2008, 02:12 PM
GPS?? and how to use it.

Ricky-Ray
04-11-2008, 02:28 PM
GPS?? and how to use it.

This might help you out on how to use a GPS. http://www.gpsnuts.com/

karlow
04-11-2008, 10:01 PM
35 gal, Forgetaboutit!
You calculate 1.5 MPG use the 1/3 law.
35/3 X 1.5 = you have a 17.5 mile fishing range.
You should consider the 14 mile bank as your outer limit.

If I'm playing in the big water, I take my 20' Skippy 65+12gal@ about 1.7 -2.1 MPG
(65+12)/3 = 25.7 gal. X 1.7 =43 mile fishing range. I can fish the island, and around the back side, but Farnsworth is a push at best. The other island, is a wet dream!

fishbone
04-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Im a newbie boater, love fishing, sometimes wish i bought a cruiser rather than my ski boat. Have a 23ft V drive, Deep V hull, Centurion Typhoon Wakeboard boat, and want to know the following.

2. Can i fish off of it?

Albertjust get some xtra gas cans. watch the weather!!!!!

Cap'n Ron
04-15-2008, 06:18 AM

2. Can i fish off of it?

Albert

Albert,
Is this your boat? If so, I think free board is an issue.

smanx57
04-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Just bring extra fuel with you.

It's about $5 a gallon here on the island.

Considering premium gas here is $4 a gallon, $5 at the island isn't too bad.
What do you guys think, an 18 foot Trophy cuddy walk around with a 115 Mercury outboard and 52 gallons of gas, should be enough for the island, huh? Never made it there yet, maybe this year.

dixoncider
04-15-2008, 10:40 AM
no problem. Just make sure you have your rig in check and know where you are going.

Carnivore
04-15-2008, 11:48 AM
1 Yes but not a good idea. Not enough gas and just the wrong boat for that trip. Especially a new boater.
2 ya anything that you can get a fish over the side of you can fish from.
3 Nope, no need to tear up a nice boat. Get blood, scales and slim all over it. Clean up isn't a breeze.
4 Get a lot more experience before attempting open ocean. Conditions can change in just a few minutes and you will be 5' seas in a boat not meant to be in 3'. You need to know how to navigate by chart (what happens if the GPS dies?) and just know what you are doing. I would take a charter out at least once to see what the conditions can be and how long of a trip it is. Depending on where you launch it is 30 to 40 miles across so not a good idea for a first timer. Just my 2 cents, it's your life and you only get one. Maybe to tops.